LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Quinnen Williams, DT Alabama

Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Solly is playing better inside, but nowhere near well enough to take his position off the board.

I'm not assuming a bust due to draft position, it's just what happens when you convince yourself you HAVE to take a certain position. That's normally QB's and Edge rushers.

There will be Edge guys available at the top of round two or within reach after a reasonable trade, that's the way I want to go if no Bosa, but no drafting weaker prospects due to need.

You don't need two dominant DTs...they're high on Jones at NT & Thomas is making people around him better. whether People like it or not Thomas was their pick at 3. They've stated his role is a interior pass rusher and he will get snaps at it. They have streets, AA/Blair/Taylor all there as well.

I see a move down before they even think about drafting another interior DL.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Although I haven't completely given up on Solomon, I don't think he would perform as poorly playing at big end as opposed to LEO. It wouldn't be his best position, but it's certainly better than playing LEO. A plan was laid out for the right side (Graham + Burns/Winovich). Seems legit. It's the least desirable, yet effective option to me if we have to stay at 2 or 3 and Bosa is gone.

Now, considering all of a sudden sack numbers are up with Thomas playing on the interior more exclusively is why I really want to take an extended look at him inside. It's ashame Saleh waited this long to give Thomas more snaps inside, because we wouldn't have this question. It's like how we would wonder what we had in our young defenders under Vic Fangio because he wouldn't play guys or wouldn't play guys enough.

Most of Graham's success is on the left side too.

He'd be a fine sign for us to replace Solly as big end in nickel as he kicks in but he's not your premiere edge rusher. I would not fear a Graham, Buckner, Williams, Thomas line at all. It's not chipped liver but with all of those picks invested in it you need better.

That's why that is my least preferred option. Like it's far better than what we have this year, but ugh.
Most of Graham's success is on the left side too.

He'd be a fine sign for us to replace Solly as big end in nickel as he kicks in but he's not your premiere edge rusher. I would not fear a Graham, Buckner, Williams, Thomas line at all. It's not chipped liver but with all of those picks invested in it you need better.

This having graham as your premier edge rusher isn't ideal imo.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
You don't need two dominant DTs...they're high on Jones at NT & Thomas is making people around him better. whether People like it or not Thomas was their pick at 3. They've stated his role is a interior pass rusher and he will get snaps at it. They have streets, AA/Blair/Taylor all there as well.

I see a move down before they even think about drafting another interior DL.

What happens if there is no tradedown? That is the scenario.

No Bosa, no tradedown, do you reach for a player or take someone like Williams with All Pro upside.

You might not NEED two dominant DTs but nobody here would be complaining about it if Williams lived up to his billing and he and Buckner were wrecking OL's and QBs on the regular.
I have given up on trying to decide who the Niners should or will pick. With the exception of Bosa who is the consensus #1 there are several other guys that they could draft and who could make an impact. I'll say this again but the combine this year is going to be really interesting with so many DL's with similar skills. Watching DL day will be the highlight of the combine.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

No Bosa, no tradedown, do you reach for a player or take someone like Williams with All Pro upside.

You might not NEED two dominant DTs but nobody here would be complaining about it if Williams lived up to his billing and he and Buckner were wrecking OL's and QBs on the regular.

No trade down I take Jonah...yeah I said it lol

Regardless I see a team wanting a shot at the top tackle, DT, or QB end of the day

Regardless I see a team wanting a shot at the top tackle, DT, or QB end of the day

If that's what happens, I'd be 100% ok with having an elite offensive line creating holes for McKinnon and Breida. at least until Staley says goodbye.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stanley:

If that's what happens, I'd be 100% ok with having an elite offensive line creating holes for McKinnon and Breida. at least until Staley says goodbye.

A year too early to think about going OL in the first.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 27, 2018 at 10:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

• FL9er
  • Veteran
I guess I'll be the bad guy.

Nick Bosa?

Quinnen Williams?

All this arguing over 2 players that will be off the board at pick #3.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:

Nick Bosa?

Quinnen Williams?

Yeah, that'd suck if we ended up at #3.
I'd take Dee Ford at 2 before I'd take Aaron Donald at this point.

You might be the only person on planet earth that would do that.
Originally posted by FL9er:

Nick Bosa?

Quinnen Williams?

You have that little faith in the Cowboys and Falcons?

I don't think you go wrong with either Bama Williams.

I might be old but I member what the 49ers interior defense looked like with BY and Stubblefield. Having Buckner and Williams inside with Thomas at big end would be a tough proposition for opposing offenses. You could also rotate all three to keep them fresh late in games.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
You might be the only person on planet earth that would do that.

I'm willing to bet there's not many GM's who'd take a 4th dt in 5 years. Hardly the only person on the planet. It only sounds bad out of context.
Share 49ersWebzone