LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

DK Metcalf

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
For the last several years I have been begging that this team drafts a WR like this. 6-3, 228, and 4.3 40. However, I have accepted that this isn't Shanny's type of WR. It just isn't. I can see no scenario - trade back or otherwise - in which DK Matcalf would be drafted by the 49ers, even if he fell to us at the top of the 2nd round. I just don't think Shanny values these type of WR's.

How many 6'3 220 lb receivers who run 4.3 has this regime passed over? They did sign one with the H/W who runs 4.45 in FA.
Originally posted by evil:
How many 6'3 220 lb receivers who run 4.3 has this regime passed over? They did sign one with the H/W who runs 4.45 in FA.

We passed on Stephen Hill back in 2012 he was right around 220 I believe....oh baby remember everyone wanted him lol.
Kevin White was available.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

We passed on Stephen Hill back in 2012 he was right around 220 I believe....oh baby remember everyone wanted him lol.

This regime didn't though.

Hill
Justin Hunter
Cordarelle Patterson
DGB
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Hill
Justin Hunter
Cordarelle Patterson
DGB

But none of those were passed over by Lynch and Shanny. I don't see how one concludes they do not like receivers like that, it is silly.

And none of the guys mentioned ever gave one the impression they were in the same league as Julio Jones, Metcalf included.
Originally posted by jcs:
For the last several years I have been begging that this team drafts a WR like this. 6-3, 228, and 4.3 40. However, I have accepted that this isn't Shanny's type of WR. It just isn't. I can see no scenario - trade back or otherwise - in which DK Matcalf would be drafted by the 49ers, even if he fell to us at the top of the 2nd round. I just don't think Shanny values these type of WR's.

KS before last years draft:

"There aren't many (elite guys)," Shanahan said, via the official website. "If there's a Julio (Jones) available and you have the opportunity to get him, you go get him. It's worth it. Whatever the price is, whatever the draft pick is, go get him. There aren't too many Julio's on this planet. But you don't have to have that to be successful.
And your point?
This regime didn't though.

It's not that Shanahan doesn't like H/W/S receivers. He LOVED Julio. It's that Shanahan doesn't like wrs who don't get separation. It's hard to say for sure on Metcalf due to be limited routes he ran, but he sure as heck can get separation on a go route. Unlike Kevin White, Metcalf actually plays at his combine speed. He really does have another gear.

But if he can't run routes, Shanahan won't want him.

You mean Jordan Matthews? He's not what you would call a physical big body who could win both down field and be a beast in short yardage. Jordan Matthews is a bigger slot WR who fits Shanny's scheme, but has never been known as a physical WR who can impose himself on CB's. He has displayed problems dealing with the jam and came out of Vanderbilt that way. He's not really a red zone threat. None of this is his game. However, he is smart, a hard worker and won't be a locker room problem, knows the whole route tree pretty well (came out of Vanderbilt that way), he has good speed, and has fixed his inconsistent hands since his Vanderbilt days. He fits with what Shanny wants from the WR spot. But make no mistake about it, Shanny will have to scheme him open and move him around. In spite of his size he cannot be expected to win consistently on the outside against the bigger, more physical CB's that the league has gone to.

Now, this is no complaint. The above 2nd-to-last sentence is exactly how I see Shanny using all the WR's on the roster. I have accepted that Shanny don't really favor the physical big-bodies.
Hill was 215 at the combine and had a notable thin frame. Much more comparable to Moss than Owens.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 26, 2019 at 7:43 PM ]

• jcs
  • Veteran

"There aren't many (elite guys)," Shanahan said, via the official website. "If there's a Julio (Jones) available and you have the opportunity to get him, you go get him. It's worth it. Whatever the price is, whatever the draft pick is, go get him. There aren't too many Julio's on this planet. But you don't have to have that to be successful.
And your point?
We love to talk about Shanny's type of receiver but if you break down his career as an OC you will find it littered with guys like Jones, Gordon and A.Johnson. Wouldn't be surprised to see him somehow land a big dominate receiver soon.
  • evil
  • Veteran

You mean Jordan Matthews? He's not what you would call a physical big body who could win both down field and be a beast in short yardage. Jordan Matthews is a bigger slot WR who fits Shanny's scheme, but has never been known as a physical WR who can impose himself on CB's. He has displayed problems dealing with the jam and came out of Vanderbilt that way. He's not really a red zone threat. None of this is his game. However, he is smart, a hard worker and won't be a locker room problem, knows the whole route tree pretty well (came out of Vanderbilt that way), he has good speed, and has fixed his inconsistent hands since his Vanderbilt days. He fits with what Shanny wants from the WR spot. But make no mistake about it, Shanny will have to scheme him open and move him around. In spite of his size he cannot be expected to win consistently on the outside against the bigger, more physical CB's that the league has gone to.

Now, this is no complaint. The above 2nd-to-last sentence is exactly how I see Shanny using all the WR's on the roster. I have accepted that Shanny don't really favor the physical big-bodies.

Shanny favors skill set requirements not H/W requirements at the WR position.

And your point?
We love to talk about Shanny's type of receiver but if you break down his career as an OC you will find it littered with guys like Jones, Gordon and A.Johnson. Wouldn't be surprised to see him somehow land a big dominate receiver soon.
None of which Shanny had a hand in drafting. Those are guys that Shanny inherited, they weren't Shanny's guys. Since he's been with the 49ers he hasn't drafted nor brought in guys with those measurables even when he's had the opportunity. By and large he's brought in slot-type WR's. So don't hold your breath on DK Matcalf.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Mar 27, 2019 at 7:31 AM ]

And your point?
None of which Shanny had a hand in drafting. Those are guys that Shanny inherited, they weren't Shanny's guys. Since he's been with the 49ers he hasn't drafted nor brought in guys with those measurables even when he's had the opportunity. By and large he's brought in slot-type WR's. So don't hold your breath on DK Matcalf.

I don't know why guys keep bringing those players up as if it meant anything.

I'm a full believer that Kyle wants a certain height/weight because smaller guys have better separation skills generally. Its just common sense...

Unless of course, a unicorn pops up. Good luck finding those.

Shanny favors skill set requirements not H/W requirements at the WR position.
I won't argue against that; I don't disagree with that. But it don't take away from my point in saying that Sahnny don't really favor the physical big-bodies either. I have seen nothing in Shanny's choice in WR as the 49ers coach that would make me believe different that Shanny places a higher premium on the smaller, lighter, and speedier slot-style WR's. I have observed the same thing with the RB's he's brought in. He doesn't seem to like the bigger, heavier power bell-cows, which is why he keeps so many on the roster. I understand that as his run scheme isn't power. People do what they value most, and in this case coaches bring in the type of players they value most. His passing scheme demands versatility from the WR's. Based off what I've seen I believe that he see's the bigger, heavier physical big-bodies (that I prefer) as lacking the body fluidity to get in and out of routes tightly, as lacking the overall speed and quickness he covets, and thus will limit the type of routes he can ask them to run (which limits his play calling). So, while Matcalf has good straight line speed and a physical freak he isn't too tight in his breaks and his route running isn't that fluid. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the DK Matcalf types over the Dante Pettis types. But not Shanny.

Again, I am in no way criticizing Shanny on this. It's just my observation.
Share 49ersWebzone