LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 154 users in the forums

DK Metcalf

I'm intrigued by Metcalf but I only think he'll enter the picture if the Niners trade down OR Shanahan pounds the table for him so much that Lynch is forced to take him.

If Shanahan is sold on him, I'll be sold on him. If Shanahan isn't sold on him, I won't be sold on him. This is one of those decisions you'd have to trust Shanahan on imo.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Rascal:
DK doesn't need to run a ton of routes, but the idea that he can only run the go is just not accurate.

You need to watch the analysis in the above clip.

I never said anything about DK. People were talking route trees without considering Kyle Shanahan's WR route trees. Are you guys evaluating DK Metcalf in general or for another team? or the 49ers? Because if you're trying to project him as a fit here, you may want to begin with what Kyle requires from his WRs.

Even Goodwin had a limited rout tree before he came over and he still isn't a great rout runner. Shanahan doesn't require that if the WR has other traits like 1st class speed and Metcalf has that
Originally posted by pd24:
Even Goodwin had a limited rout tree before he came over and he still isn't a great rout runner. Shanahan doesn't require that if the WR has other traits like 1st class speed and Metcalf has that

Marquise Goodwin was signed as a free agent for peanuts. Can't really compare someone they took a flyer on in free agency to someone that's going early in the first.

And for the record, I do think DK Metcalf's agility concerns are overblown. Dude can sink and change directions pretty damn good on tape, especially for a giant, freakish WR. I also think he shows the potential to become a much better route runner. He's the only one of the big WR that I think will interest Kyle.
Originally posted by Costanza:
I'm intrigued by Metcalf but I only think he'll enter the picture if the Niners trade down OR Shanahan pounds the table for him so much that Lynch is forced to take him.

If Shanahan is sold on him, I'll be sold on him. If Shanahan isn't sold on him, I won't be sold on him. This is one of those decisions you'd have to trust Shanahan on imo.

Shanahan doesnt want him, atleast not at where hes projected to go. DK is not a typical Shanahan receiver and it comes down to his route running, not size before anyone says anything about it.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

Shanahan doesnt want him, atleast not at where hes projected to go. DK is not a typical Shanahan receiver and it comes down to his route running, not size before anyone says anything about it.

This, people hoping for Metcalf is going to be disappointed. Just being big and fast won't make Kyle interested, plus I would be willing to bet he'll take his teammate brown over him all the time
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

This is precisely what Shanahan needs to learn and that is not to be stuck in his ways to limit and compromise the overall capability of the entire WR corps.

It is not productive to only draft one type of prospect at any position because you will only end up drafting the same type of player over and over again. And let's be real here, no one type of WR can handle all situations/routes equally. It is often about pros and cos and mix and match in order to broaden the breadth and depth of the capability of your WR corps as a whole. I really shouldn't have to say this, people should know about this from watching football and even just common sense.

It isn't uncommon for any WR corps to have different types of receivers. May be smaller and shiftier guys in the slot and bigger and faster guys on the outside and for the red zone. This isn't something that I have just made up. This is in fact the norm. You can have the best route runner in the world, but if the guy is slow and small, there is no way he will be able to handle the deep routes. Size, strength and speed will always count no matter what which by the way cannot be taught neither.

The good news is if indeed Shanahan is as stubborn as what you have mentioned, we now have 2 ex-NFL WRs in our coaching staff to help balance out on that previous biased point of view. Well, for what is worth, Miles Austin actually bothered to meet with Shawn Poindexter, a 6'5" wideout at the Arizona pro day. It could be an encouraging sign of things to come.
[ Edited by Rascal on Mar 20, 2019 at 2:05 AM ]

This is precisely what Shanahan needs to learn and that is not to be stuck in his ways to limit and compromise the overall capability of the entire WR corps.

It is not productive to only draft one type of prospect at any position because you will only end up drafting the same type of player over and over again. And let's be real here, no one type of WR can handle all situations/routes equally. It is often about pros and cos and mix and match in order to broaden the breadth and depth of the capability of your WR corps as a whole. I really shouldn't have to say this, people should know about this from watching football and even just common sense.

It isn't uncommon for any WR corps to have different types of receivers. May be smaller and shiftier guys in the slot and bigger and faster guys on the outside and for the red zone. This isn't something that I have just made up. This is in fact the norm. You can have the best route runner in the world, but if the guy is slow and small, there is no way he will be able to handle the deep routes. Size, strength and speed will always count no matter what which by the way cannot be taught neither.

The good news is if indeed Shanahan is as stubborn as what you have mentioned, we now have 2 ex-NFL WRs in our coaching staff to help balance out on that previous biased point of view. Well, for what is worth, Miles Austin actually bothered to meet with Shawn Poindexter, a 6'5" wideout at the Arizona pro day. It could be an encouraging sign of things to come.

This. Very good post.

Unfortunately Shannahan won't be interested in Metcalf because he isn't agile or the most precise route runner.

I think Shannahan may be too stubborn in his ways, limiting his options at wide receiver. I hope I'm wrong but I feel like he may have a little bit of an ego and think that he doesn't need any physical specimen at receiver. He just needs precise route runners that he schemes open with his great plays. He's so confident in his playcalling, that it seems he doesn't value any size at the receiver position.

He has said good receivers come in all shapes and sizes, implying that he didn't necessarily need any huge receivers. Well he would make it a lot easier on himself if he had an assortment of receivers with different skill sets that compliment each other, instead of all of the same type of receiver, as Rascal mentioned. In the red zone when the passing lanes shrink is when you need big athletes with a huge catching radius that use their length to go up and get it.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
This. Very good post.

Unfortunately Shannahan won't be interested in Metcalf because he isn't agile or the most precise route runner.

I think Shannahan may be too stubborn in his ways, limiting his options at wide receiver. I hope I'm wrong but I feel like he may have a little bit of an ego and think that he doesn't need any physical specimen at receiver. He just needs precise route runners that he schemes open with his great plays. He's so confident in his playcalling, that it seems he doesn't value any size at the receiver position.

He has said good receivers come in all shapes and sizes, implying that he didn't necessarily need any huge receivers. Well he would make it a lot easier on himself if he had an assortment of receivers with different skill sets that compliment each other, instead of all of the same type of receiver, as Rascal mentioned. In the red zone when the passing lanes shrink is when you need big athletes with a huge catching radius that use their length to go up and get it.

I think hope could already be on the horizon as we speak.

The 9ers were at Northwestern's pro day to scout Jazz Ferguson. And what is the relevance? The guy is 6'5", 228lbs.

This is the second 6'5" guy we have scouted now on top of Shawn Poindexter of Arizona.

It is becoming clear to me. My theory is they do realize we need a big outside receiver to create that match-up nightmare that we badly need. But, knowing they want to go with a bigger impact player with the 2 pick such as Q or Bosa, they know they wouldn't be able to get to Metcalf with the 36 pick, therefore they need to find that "big" WR via different avenues from elsewhere.

This would be the way I am reading it on top of Jordan Matthews, a 6'3" guy whom we have already signed.

I am not saying we won't be drafting smaller guys around the 6' mark such as Deebo, but it is quite possible we might take more than one WR in the draft and/or we will find that big WR amongst the UDFAs.

Let's see what happens.

With that said, let's check out Jazz Ferguson's tape:

[ Edited by Rascal on Mar 20, 2019 at 9:23 PM ]

Dude his last name is Poindexter. That's either an automatic removal from the draft board or an automatic First Overall.

Anyway, saw this catch. Fairly Moss.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/video/1379484739810

He doesn't blow me away but he could be a good later pick.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Ferguson reminds me of John Taylor.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 20, 2019 at 11:38 PM ]

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
This. Very good post.

The problem with drafting Metcalf is the opportunity cost. You'll be passing up on a generational talent like Williams or a possibly elite edge prospect like Bosa.
Originally posted by mayo49:

When are we gonna get another Randy Moss in the draft? Getting sick of not seeing 6'4 guys with 4.25 speed and a 50 inch vertical.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

The dude is not slow neither, he ran a 4.45. I am intrigued.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

When are we gonna get another Randy Moss in the draft? Getting sick of not seeing 6'4 guys with 4.25 speed and a 50 inch vertical.

I hear you. Most of those types of talent head to basketball... Moss also played basketball.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
If we're going for a #1 WR I rather wait till next year's draft and snag up Laviska.
Share 49ersWebzone