LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 192 users in the forums

DK Metcalf

Originally posted by illinois9er:
I'm glad that we won't be in position to draft him.

He really feels like boom or bust and needs the right offense to grow in. He seems to have a great attitude though so I think he will do fine. His injury was scarier than his agility drills imo
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by illinois9er:
I'm glad that we won't be in position to draft him.

Id say, THIS! However, i remember us taking his brother from and another mother at #6 a decade and a half ago.

Think about that for a minute.

Vernon Davis 20+ pounds heavier otherwise basically the same makeup was more agile than Metcalf.

Would we put Davis at WR? Would you spend a top 10 pick on Davis knowing how his career plays out?

Vernon Davis 20+ pounds heavier otherwise basically the same makeup was more agile than Metcalf.

Would we put Davis at WR? Would you spend a top 10 pick on Davis knowing how his career plays out?

Davis isn't as fast or explosive as Metcalf either though. It's not just the 40 Metcalf has the fastest 10 yard split ever recorded. It's a similar player in that they're both going to have a limited route tree but Metcalf isn't a tight end by any stretch of the imagination. And Vernon was absolutely worthy of his pick at his best although his prime wasn't long enough.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 16, 2019 at 8:15 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Davis isn't as fast or explosive as Metcalf either though. It's not just the 40 Metcalf has the fastest 10 yard split ever recorded. It's a similar player in that they're both going to have a limited route tree but Metcalf isn't a tight end by any stretch of the imagination. And Vernon was absolutely worthy of his pick at his best although his prime wasn't long enough.

Actually the comp is pretty good. Neither will ever live up to their draft position or their measurables.

And no, Vernon was never worthy of that pick, even at his best.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Actually the comp is pretty good. Neither will ever live up to their draft position or their measurables.

He basically said Davis can't play te so why could Metcalf? That's silly.

And Vernon was a 2 time Pro Bowler. 4 years of great production. Perhaps he fell a bit short but you can do a million times worse than that.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 16, 2019 at 1:16 PM ]

And Vernon was a 2 time Pro Bowler. 4 years of great production. Perhaps he fell a bit short but you can do a million times worse than that.

No he didn't.
No he didn't.

Typo. Wr. One last thing on Vernon people should remember what he was to us in the postseason before they sh on him. 4 100 yard games.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 16, 2019 at 1:32 PM ]
No he didn't.

Typo. Wr. One last thing on Vernon people should remember what he was to us in the postseason before they sh on him. 4 100 yard games.

The best part of the comp was the lack of agility. And I don't see us convincing each other about Vernon's value one way or the other
The best part of the comp was the lack of agility. And I don't see us convincing each other about Vernon's value one way or the other

And that's fine I just pointed out why Metcalf can play wr and Davis can't. Metcalf can roast a corner. Gordon is likely the best comparison to him. If you look at how he's used it's largely slants and deep passes. He's not a strong route runner at all.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
And that's fine I just pointed out why Metcalf can play wr and Davis can't. Metcalf can roast a corner. Gordon is likely the best comparison to him. If you look at how he's used it's largely slants and deep passes. He's not a strong route runner at all.

And all Vernon was able to run was the seam route. And the misdirection plays that schemed hom open.

Basically all im saying is, Davis wasn't the mismatch nightmare he was supposed to be and i think alot of you are fooling yourselves if you think DK will be himself.

That said, i kind of like your Josh Gordon comparison. In terms of usage

• Rascal
  • Veteran

The com was fine until he said Vernon was more agile than Metcalf which is totally off base. Metcalf can catch the ball much better than Vernon.

Vernon was a complete beast!! Without question one of my most favourite 9ers!!

People must have amnesia here, not only was he a 2 time Pro Bowler, it wasn't all that long ago when our entire passing offense depended on him for cry out loud!! The guy had to line up out wide to play WR basically. The fact that he was so fast, he was able to be more than a TE. Seriously, 2011, 2012, anyone? Kap's favourite target? Who handled all the deep routes? Do I need to pull film? LOL.

Initially, when he was talking about the comparison, I thought he was saying Metcalf is at least as good as Vernon. If he is saying Vernon was crap, he has to be out of his frigging mind!!!

Ranked 38 in the Top 100. Even our archrival at the time Mr. Richard Sherman himself now a 9er had to pay tribute to Vernon cos he was that good. And it wasn't often that Sherman would talk up on a 9er especially back then. Vernon was a complete match-up nightmare!!!!!! I haven't a clue what Lobo49er and krizay are talking about!! They need to get their eyes checked. LOL. Give me a break here!!

Hey Lobo49er and krizay, seriously drugs are bad for you. LOL.

[ Edited by Rascal on Mar 17, 2019 at 6:12 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Wow! Is all i can say. If that is what you got from my comment then there's no need for me to....
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Wow! Is all i can say. If that is what you got from my comment then there's no need for me to....

Let's simplify things here. At the most basic level, you said Vernon wasn't a match-up nightmare, that cannot possibly be any further from the truth.

This dates back all the way to 2011 in the NFC Divisional Playoff game against the Saints. Remember that? "The Grab - Catch III"??? Any recollection now??? Vernon was a COMPLETE MATCH-UP NIGHTMARE!!!!! In fact, that was all he was. He was tall, big, strong and fast. Hey, don't take it from me, just watch the film, bro!! Vernon Davis was our star in that period!! Seriously, if Vernon wasn't a match-up nightmare, I don't know what is!!

[ Edited by Rascal on Mar 17, 2019 at 5:48 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Next thing to look out for is let's see whether the 9ers show up at the Ole Miss pro day on March 29.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Next thing to look out for is let's see whether the 9ers show up at the Ole Miss pro day on March 29.

Ole Miss has AJ Brown a wr they met at the combine, Im 100% sure Metcalf won't be a 9er.
Share 49ersWebzone