There are 103 users in the forums

DK Metcalf

This is a niner forum, not a draft forum. Thus, people will be evaluating players as it pertains to possible fits for the 49ers. Is DK Metcalf a generationally good fit for what Buffalo is trying to build around a QB with generational arm talent? Yes. Is he worth #9, probably. But is he a good fit for Shanahan? No. Will he make our offense better? Duh. Is he worth a top 5 pick for the 49ers? No.


You are literally in here posting that your preferance is a wide reciever at 6'4". Your posts imply that is literally your number one criteria for a WR being a good prospect.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,551
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
This is a niner forum, not a draft forum. Thus, people will be evaluating players as it pertains to possible fits for the 49ers. Is DK Metcalf a generationally good fit for what Buffalo is trying to build around a QB with generational arm talent? Yes. Is he worth #9, probably. But is he a good fit for Shanahan? No. Will he make our offense better? Duh. Is he worth a top 5 pick for the 49ers? No.

You are literally in here posting that your preferance is a wide reciever at 6'4". Your posts imply that is literally your number one criteria for a WR being a good prospect.


No, this is the draft section of the 9ers forum and we can talk about anything about any prospect.

You keep attacking me on "6'4", that is my personal preference and I am not the only person in the world who prefers bigger wideouts. Different people have different preferences and I am quite sure other folks may prefer smaller receivers too. Quite frankly it is ridiculous, you mean you don't have a certain preferred set of WR selection criteria?

Here is the bottom line, disregard whether I like 6'4" WRs or not, DK Metcalf is the No.1 WR prospect in this draft whether you like it or not according to most analysts (not my word).

To say he is not a "fit" for Shanahan's system is ONLY your personal point of view. I happen to think Metcalf can do well in any offense and it is up to the team to get the best out of him not unlike any other player.

Did I ever say to take DK at 2? No.

What I said was if Bosa is off the board at 2, only then we should consider trading down to take Metcalf and an EDGE lower down. Reason being is there is a noticeable drop-off after Bosa as far as EDGE is concerned plus in this draft there are a ton of EDGE and/or D-linemen.
[ Edited by Rascal on Mar 7, 2019 at 9:08 PM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
No, this is the draft section of the 9ers forum and we can talk about anything about any prospect.

You keep attacking me on "6'4", that is my personal preference and I am not the only person in the world who prefers bigger wideouts. Different people have different preferences and I am quite sure other folks may prefer smaller receivers too. Quite frankly it is ridiculous, you mean you don't have certain preferred set of WR selection criteria?

Here is the bottom line, disregard whether I like 6'4" WRs or not, DK Metcalf is the No.1 WR prospect in this draft whether you like it or not according to most analysts (not my word).

To say he is not a "fit" for Shanahan is ONLY your personal point of view. I happen to think Metcalf can do well in any offense and it is up to the team to get the best out of him not unlike any other player.

Did I ever say to take DK at 2? No.

What I said was if Bosa is off the board at 2, only then we should consider trading down to take Metcalf and an EDGE lower down. Reason being is there is a noticeable drop-off after Bosa as far as EDGE is concerned plus in this draft there are a ton of EDGE and/or D-linemen.



If Bosa is gone then they are taking another edge most likely, not an ill fitting, injury prone WR. While Bosa is a great prospect, the gap between him.and players like Allen and Burns isn't that great compared to waiting later on in the draft.
Originally posted by Rascal:
No, this is the draft section of the 9ers forum and we can talk about anything about any prospect.

You keep attacking me on "6'4", that is my personal preference and I am not the only person in the world who prefers bigger wideouts. Different people have different preferences and I am quite sure other folks may prefer smaller receivers too. Quite frankly it is ridiculous, you mean you don't have a certain preferred set of WR selection criteria?

Just adding in my own $.02,...I think you're clearly lacking the revolving door that size is @ the WR position. It's a game of mismatches,...it's not about having one or the other.

When WRs like TO and Moss were dominating the league,...everyone wanted bigger CBs to compensate.

The response to that (generally) is the surge you then see in the quicker, smaller WRs that give those types of CBs fits. Then smaller CBs that can run with them is what's wanted.

And on and on and on,....

Size @ the CB position is a revolving door and it certainly isin't a 1 or the other. You want a guy that gets open before you want to just stand around and throw jump balls all day.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,551
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If Bosa is gone then they are taking another edge most likely, not an ill fitting, injury prone WR. While Bosa is a great prospect, the gap between him.and players like Allen and Burns isn't that great compared to waiting later on in the draft.


I disagree I think the gap from Bosa to the rest is considerable. "Injury prone" and "ill fitting" is only your narrative. The guy had one major injury, he came back from it and blew up the combine, that is how impressive he is which was why he got so emotional after he ran the 4.33 when he called his mum. I have already commented about your "ill fitting" comment earlier, is totally inaccurate. To say he is "ill fitting" is like saying Shanahan will never want Jimmy G to throw deep. As we know, that is contrary to the fact, during last offseason they already placed more focus on throwing deep.
So if Bosa is gone and the niners trade back with the Giants, do you think he's worth the 7th pick ?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,551
Originally posted by random49er:
Just adding in my own $.02,...I think you're clearly lacking the revolving door that size is @ the WR position. It's a game of mismatches,...it's not about having one or the other.

When WRs like TO and Moss were dominating the league,...everyone wanted bigger CBs to compensate.

The response to that (generally) is the surge you then see in the quicker, smaller WRs that give those types of CBs fits. Then smaller CBs that can run with them is what's wanted.

And on and on and on,....

Size @ the CB position is a revolving door and it certainly isin't a 1 or the other. You want a guy that gets open before you want to just stand around and throw jump balls all day.


My response to you is simple.

Sure, it is a revolving door trying to use different types of DBs to handle different type of WRs.

My point is this, if the person in question is TRULY a match-up nightmare such as T.O. as you mentioned, even when you used bigger DBs, the dude was still going to make plays no matter what!! Otherwise, the guy wouldn't have become a HOF WR.

My belief is a truly dominant physical specimen type of a WR will do exactly that even when being double-teamed. With those types of WRs, you just can't cover them no matter what you do, period!!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,551
Originally posted by jersey49er:
So if Bosa is gone and the niners trade back with the Giants, do you think he's worth the 7th pick ?


I think if you want the guy, 6th (that's where the Giants are drafting) is worth it. Afterall, he is mocked to go at 9 to the Bills, is it really worth debating about 3 spots if you know what I mean. Well, if the Bills really want him at 9, then you will have to take him at 8 anyway at the very latest which is only 2 spots after 6.

The point is this, don't take my word for it, many people have said, a specimen like Metcalf doesn't come around often. If you buy into his superior physical traits and combine performance which perfectly demonstrated his speed and strength, then you can invest in the guy to further develop him to bring out his full potential.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by jersey49er:
So if Bosa is gone and the niners trade back with the Giants, do you think he's worth the 7th pick ?


I think if you want the guy, 6th (that's where the Giants are drafting) is worth it. Afterall, he is mocked to go at 9 to the Bills, is it really worth debating about 3 spots if you know what I mean. Well, if the Bills really want him at 9, then you will have to take him at 8 anyway at the very latest which is only 2 spots after 6.

The point is this, don't take my word for it, many people have said, a specimen like Metcalf doesn't come around often. If you buy into his superior physical traits and combine performance which perfectly demonstrated his speed and strength, then you can invest in the guy to further develop him to bring out his full potential.

I'm not sold on him but he's intriguing, just wondering ppls thought on the scenario, thanks..
  • fan49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,489
Not that it makes that big of a difference. But 1.6 body fat was bs.

https://youtu.be/y0yuP7I3D2s
[ Edited by fan49 on Mar 8, 2019 at 12:13 AM ]

  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,551
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I'm not sold on him but he's intriguing, just wondering ppls thought on the scenario, thanks..


I understand the concern about his change of direction ability, but the way I look at it is you need to look at the big picture and decide whether his strengths can more than compensate his weaknesses.

I think he can, plus we can maximize his strength by using him as the deep route specialist.

In some ways it is about complimentary football, we already have some pretty good slot guys, we don't need to add there. Once we add DK to the mix to handle the deep routes, it is like pick your poison for the opposing D if you know what I mean.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Dude you said to me 6-3 and more...False on the big WR can handle more hits. Julio is banged up all the damn time/Jeffery is hurt all the time. Physics also show there's more person there to be hit than a small shifty guy.

I mean DK has been injured most of his college career


Go and scroll back. You just want to argue right? Is just so you. LOL.

Dude, Goodwin only played 11 games and couldn't even break 400 yards for the season.

Nah dude you said this...

That's all relative. To me, 5'11" is just average size, I prefer 6'3" type WRs. I am not saying Deebo Samuel is crap, I think he is great in terms of run after the catch. But, he isn't much different to the type of WRs we have. No, I want that tall, big, outside WR who can be a match-up nightmare and legit red zone weapon.

Like I said you said 6-3 WRs then throw out Sanu who's not that big....not arguing. Just saying that's what you said.

Again there's no correlation to being bigger equals less likely to get hurt, we've been down this road. Guys like Rice/Harrison/AB/Bruce have had long crazy productive careers and are far from monsters.

Look I don't want a bunch of 5-9 WRs either, but I don't want a bunch of big stiff WRs who can't run crisp routes either. You talk about not wanting WRs who get injured yet DK has spent more time injured than actually on the field, you have to question that alittle.

I like DK, don't think he's gonna be the pick for SF in the 1st end of the day. Not with who else will be available.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 8, 2019 at 4:01 AM ]
Y'all need to accept DK Metcalf as the one true WR1 who will be the first WR drafted.

No chance we take him at 2. (He's my dark horse but I'd place that at about 2%)

In a trade down to 7? I think it's far more possible. Also let see what we do in FA.

Does anyone think this guy wil not be able to run routes???

I recall the same knocks on Megatron. I have a feeling Kyle would know what to do with him....
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,551
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Y'all need to accept DK Metcalf as the one true WR1 who will be the first WR drafted.

No chance we take him at 2. (He's my dark horse but I'd place that at about 2%)

In a trade down to 7? I think it's far more possible. Also let see what we do in FA.

Does anyone think this guy wil not be able to run routes???

I recall the same knocks on Megatron. I have a feeling Kyle would know what to do with him....


Problem is there are stories the Cards are shopping Rosen right? If that is true, then the Murray thing could be real and Bosa would fall to us.
Originally posted by Rascal:
No, this is the draft section of the 9ers forum and we can talk about anything about any prospect.

You keep attacking me on "6'4", that is my personal preference and I am not the only person in the world who prefers bigger wideouts. Different people have different preferences and I am quite sure other folks may prefer smaller receivers too. Quite frankly it is ridiculous, you mean you don't have a certain preferred set of WR selection criteria?

Here is the bottom line, disregard whether I like 6'4" WRs or not, DK Metcalf is the No.1 WR prospect in this draft whether you like it or not according to most analysts (not my word).

To say he is not a "fit" for Shanahan's system is ONLY your personal point of view. I happen to think Metcalf can do well in any offense and it is up to the team to get the best out of him not unlike any other player.

Did I ever say to take DK at 2? No.

What I said was if Bosa is off the board at 2, only then we should consider trading down to take Metcalf and an EDGE lower down. Reason being is there is a noticeable drop-off after Bosa as far as EDGE is concerned plus in this draft there are a ton of EDGE and/or D-linemen.

His combine numbers in the short area quickness and agility sucked. Those are the top traits Shanahan likes in his receivers typically. Metcalf reminds me of Josh Gordon, I'd love for him to be a niner, but he'll be long gone before the 36th pick. If he isn't, I'd be ecstatic to land him. Good news is there will likely be a really good reciever there at 36, if we want one, even if it isn't DK.
Share 49erswebzone