LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

DK Metcalf

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wait, Rascal are you advocating that the 9ers should take Metcalf #2 overall?

No, but if the Cards end up taking Bosa, I think we should at least think about trading down to take Metcalf and an EDGE lower down. I think there is a drop-off in terms of EDGE after Bosa and I don't think Allen is worth the 2 pick plus this draft is full of EDGE and/or D-linemen.

Yah if Bosa is gone, no doubt they entertain trade offers.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Oh I'm not saying he sucks or anything. I'm saying the 3-cone and 20 yard shuttle are very important drills for WRs and really just about any position group outside of QB.

I think he's a top 10 player, been saying it well before the combine...now it will depend on his health which has been a red flag all through college.

Shanny did meet with him at the combine FWIW

If you see him as a top 10 player, even if his 3-cone and 20 yard shuffle aren't that great, by definition he must be still pretty darn good right? And I don't suppose you have another WR going before him in the top 10 right? In other words, I guess DK must be your top WR in the draft then?

Yea, I know Shanny met him. But, like I said, it would require Shanny to grow some balls to take him.
If you see him as a top 10 player, even if his 3-cone and 20 yard shuffle aren't that great, by definition he must be still pretty darn good right? And I don't suppose you have another WR going before him in the top 10 right? In other words, I guess DK must be your top WR in the draft then?

Yea, I know Shanny met him. But, like I said, it would require Shanny to grow some balls to take him.

we need edge rush help much more than a WR. I do have him as my #1 WR I just think this draft has some very good WRs that will be sitting there at 36 vs any edge rusher at 36. I also think DK is a limited WR.

It's not about growing balls it's realizing kyle can find good WRs that don't require having to be 230 6-3 and run a 4.3 to be super successful. You do need top end talent on defense and there happens to be some studs at the top.

I know you're a offensive skilled guy, I think every yr I've heard you in here it's been drafting a QB/RB/ or WR. Scheme fit on offense is where kyle goes, defense is based on pure talent.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
That is why I said Shanahan is shooting himself in the foot. Because he played WR, so he only focused on those things that you mentioned and completely ignored the advantage of height, size, reach and strength. He pulls the same stunt on our O-line too, but let's not go there as a lot of people are mega pis*ed about losing Trent Brown.

Just look at Pettis and Goodwin, they are too small and skinny and can't take the hits, let alone dominate. Please don't trade for OBJ for cry out loud!!

Shanny's o's in Houston, Atlanta >>>> Washington, SF. I'm not saying Shanny needs a talented big receiver but I'm not going to poo poo the idea of getting one.

Is very simple, let me ask you this, who were his WRs in Atlanta?

Julio Jones - 6'3", 220lbs
Mohamad Sanu - 6'2", 210lbs

I will say this too, if you put both Julio and Sanu into our WR corps, I will guarantee you it will improve our passing offense dramatically in no time.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
we need edge rush help much more than a WR. I do have him as my #1 WR I just think this draft has some very good WRs that will be sitting there at 36 vs any edge rusher at 36. I also think DK is a limited WR.

It's not about growing balls it's realizing kyle can find good WRs that don't require having to be 230 6-3 and run a 4.3 to be super successful. You do need top end talent on defense and there happens to be some studs at the top.

I know you're a offensive skilled guy, I think every yr I've heard you in here it's been drafting a QB/RB/ or WR. Scheme fit on offense is where kyle goes, defense is based on pure talent.

I didn't say we don't need an EDGE right?

But, here is the thing, sometimes you have to think out of the box. While we need to improve the D, at the end of the day, we need to score points in order to win games.

It isn't about whether we can get by with less excellent WRs, it is about giving Jimmy G legit weapons that can actually help him to get us over the hump. Failing to do so basically means you are wasting $25 mil a year paying for a good QB.

Having seen what we have seen since Jimmy G has been here, you give him some monster WRs, we are going to win games. With our existing WRs, it will be next to impossible to fully develop Jimmy G's potential. If you want Jimmy G to expand his game and start throwing it downfield, you will need to give him guys that can do that.

Also, trust me, Lynch will pull the pin on a pass rusher in free agency. He should have learnt his lesson by now. He thought he was saving money and ended up screwing the team. Now, he knows he has to spend in order to make things happen.
Defense at #2 and then trade up into the first using our 2nd and something else to get Metcalf.

Metcalf type of ability is exactly what this teams needs to score points. We have plenty of shifty chain movers. We need a finisher. Plus, JG is not accurate enough with the deep ball to keep throwing to small radius catch players.
[ Edited by Joecool on Mar 7, 2019 at 12:16 PM ]
  • thl408

I will say this too, if you put both Julio and Sanu into our WR corps, I will guarantee you it will improve our passing offense dramatically in no time.
Such a bold statement I had to bold the statement.
Originally posted by thl408:

We don't need Metcalf, but we definitely need a Metcalf type.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Defense at #2 and then trade up into the first using our 2nd and something else to get Metcalf.

Metcalf type of ability is exactly what this teams needs to score points. We have plenty of shifty chain movers. We need a finisher. Plus, JG is not accurate enough with the deep ball to keep throwing to small radius catch players.

The problem is Metcalf will be gone in the top 10 or latest mid-1st round which means it will be impossible to trade up that far to get him.

The only way that we can make this happen is if Bosa is off the board at 2, then we trade down to get Metcalf and then an EDGE in the 2nd round.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Feel free to do so, I stand by my statement.

The problem is Metcalf will be gone in the top 10 or latest mid-1st round which means it will be impossible to trade up that far to get him.

The only way that we can make this happen is if Bosa is off the board at 2, then we trade down to get Metcalf and then an EDGE in the 2nd round.

I think we should load up on offense in this draft. Specifically, WR and OL. Our defense doesn't suck that bad but our scoring on offense does. GB drafted 3 WRs last year and they look to be promising next year. We need some fire power to force opponents to either play safe or make mistakes so our defense looks better. WR's are at least a one year project. We need to start loading up so they are primed and ready for our 3 year playoff window.
[ Edited by Joecool on Mar 7, 2019 at 12:27 PM ]
  • thl408
Feel free to do so, I stand by my statement.

You should stand by it. It's pretty obvious adding Julio Jones to any team would improve their passing offense dramatically in no time.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
We don't need Metcalf, but we definitely need a Metcalf type.

Well, we can definitely take a WR at 36, but the biggest hurdle is Shanahan. Will he be willing to take a tall, big outside WR though? The fact that he played WR at college, he thinks he knows exactly what to look for in WRs. He has placed way too much focus on route-running ability and has almost totally discarded the advantage of height, size, reach and strength. He does the same thing with our O-linemen. He seems to only prefer shifty WRs who might be smaller and skinny which is the problem.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I think we should load up on offense in this draft. Specifically, WR and OL. Our defense doesn't suck that bad but our scoring on offense does. GB drafted 3 WRs last year and they look to be promising next year. We need some fire power to force opponents to either play safe or make mistakes so our defense looks better. WR's are at least a one year project. We need to start loading up so they are primed and ready for our 3 year playoff window.

Agreed 100%, but I also understand the need of pass rushers. That is why I said, if Bosa is there at 2, then take him. If not, let's do something else like trade down to get Metcalf and take an EDGE in the 2nd round. Meanwhile, we also sign a pass rusher in free agency like Tre Flowers for example.
I didn't say we don't need an EDGE right?

But, here is the thing, sometimes you have to think out of the box. While we need to improve the D, at the end of the day, we need to score points in order to win games.

It isn't about whether we can get by with less excellent WRs, it is about giving Jimmy G legit weapons that can actually help him to get us over the hump. Failing to do so basically means you are wasting $25 mil a year paying for a good QB.

Having seen what we have seen since Jimmy G has been here, you give him some monster WRs, we are going to win games. With our existing WRs, it will be next to impossible to fully develop Jimmy G's potential. If you want Jimmy G to expand his game and start throwing it downfield, you will need to give him guys that can do that.

Also, trust me, Lynch will pull the pin on a pass rusher in free agency. He should have learnt his lesson by now. He thought he was saving money and ended up screwing the team. Now, he knows he has to spend in order to make things happen.

I'm not saying you said we don't need edge. I'm saying it's a much bigger priority and there happens to be game changers at the top.

SF when they had JG was top 5 in scoring pts in 2017 and that's with a bunch of meh skilled players. They'll upgrade the WR spot, I doubt it will be with a top 10 pick. Listen go argue with Kyle if you don't like it lol. He's gonna value his scheme and which players he needs to run it vs just being big and fast. He's stated that many times, he's also stated you can't get by on just scheme on defense you need pure talent out there.

Not sure what you mean by saving money? They've spent money the past two seasons....on what can be debated. I'm sure they will try and get some FAs on the edge. It's not gonna change the fact that's more than likely the direction they go at 1 though.

Also go watch other guys like Brown, Deebo, Harmon, hell I wouldn't be shocked if Butler will be there at 36. Those are the guys you should be watching because that's more realistic.
Share 49ersWebzone