LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 309 users in the forums

Jachai Polite, EDGE, Florida

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by elguapo:
I think this might be our man

If it is there's surely got to be a trade down first?

I don't want us to be too clever. If he is the dude, let's just take him and smile. Always plenty of passrush-hungry teams.

I get it, and I'm yet to get too far into studying him, but he doesn't seem like a Top 5 guy to me.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by elguapo:
I think this might be our man

If it is there's surely got to be a trade down first?

I don't want us to be too clever. If he is the dude, let's just take him and smile. Always plenty of passrush-hungry teams.

I get it, and I'm yet to get too far into studying him, but he doesn't seem like a Top 5 guy to me.

Interviews and combine would solidify that. He is seen now by some as arguably the best underclassman pass rusher after Bosa.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 16, 2018 at 4:58 AM ]

To me he is second behind Bosa when it comes to edge rushers.

There are questions about his ability against the run but he is outstanding as a pure pass rusher. If he tests out well in the offseason, I think he'd be an easy Top 10 selection. Look how far Marcus Davenport moved up this past offseason and he was a lot more raw and played against inferior competition.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Yet another player proving that the drop off behind Bosa is not considerable. Missing out on Bosa is a whole lot of meh.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

To me he is second behind Bosa when it comes to edge rushers.

There are questions about his ability against the run but he is outstanding as a pure pass rusher. If he tests out well in the offseason, I think he'd be an easy Top 10 selection. Look how far Marcus Davenport moved up this past offseason and he was a lot more raw and played against inferior competition.

I'm digging more of course but so far I watched LSU and Miss State games and no question he has a lot of what I loved about Landry.

Odd thing is I find myself doing the thing I hate when others do...which is to say "is he good enough to go #2 overall if that's where we were picking"?

I would like to see a little more hustle out of him when the play is away from him but I realize it could totally be nitpicking as there are few edge rushers who go 100% all the time, especially when the play is going to the other side of the field but still I can't help to spot those when they happen since we are potentially talking top 5 draft pick.

I'm also a little worried about the size. The good thing is the bend and dip will work regardless of his size but will his size keep him from being a full time player? Will his punch work as well versus NFL sized and talent tackles?

I feel considering how high we'll be picking this year and how much we need to hit on this pass rusher it's going to throw off my evaluations. That's why I love Bosa so much...outside of the injury concerns(which exist with ANY player) the guy has very few flaws. He's got the size, he's got the technique, he's got the production. He's a perfect fit. Damn Oakland...
Film highlights are deceiving. They are called highlights for a reason. I like to see how much film there is where guys do nothing. Sometimes that tells you more about the player such as motor, does he take plays off and can he be neutralized by certain types of blocks. Everyone looks good in their highlight film.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
* MY DRAFT CRUSH
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Film highlights are deceiving. They are called highlights for a reason. I like to see how much film there is where guys do nothing. Sometimes that tells you more about the player such as motor, does he take plays off and can he be neutralized by certain types of blocks. Everyone looks good in their highlight film.

So those "high motor" plays of him chasing ball carriers across and downfield don't count?
Polite does seem to be a perfect fit for this offense. I was on the Sweat bandwagon, but I could switch. For Edge rush experts, why Polite over Sweat?
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
Polite does seem to be a perfect fit for this offense. I was on the Sweat bandwagon, but I could switch. For Edge rush experts, why Polite over Sweat?

I need to look at more Sweat games versus his highlights but I think Sweat is still working on his game so his potential is vast but Polite shows better explosion and much better bend which imo are huge for the Leo position. Of course it's easier for someone shorter like Polite to have that elite bend around the edge than someone of Sweat's height. Can only dip so much.

I think from what I've seen Polite seems to have more pop to him. Could also be related to leverage. I think it's easier for a more compact guy to have the impact hits versus a taller/lankier guy who may not be as easily able to get his weight into the hits.

I'd take either of them but want to see more from all the guys who will be available.

Originally posted by kansasninerfan:

Sweat lacks the same level of power and leverage that Polite has. I also don't see the same level of bendability. By my eye test, Polite has a noticeable advantage in pass rush moves, strength, speed, hitting power, hustle, endurance and again, leverage. Sweat is also still growing into his frame while Polite looks like he is already built for the NFL.

Nothing against Sweat, I just grade Polite far higher than him at this point.
Originally posted by Stanley:
So those "high motor" plays of him chasing ball carriers across and downfield don't count?

Not saying they don't count. What I am saying is when viewing "highlight film" you are seeing just the good plays. What I want to know is what is happening on the other plays. Is he getting stoned at the line, knocked down, not running at full speed, whiffing on tackles. We have guys on our team now that could put together a highlight reel but it would be pretty short. Lot's of guys show flashes. We see it in AA, Blair and Marsh and it leaves us wondering why they don't do it more. Polite might be great but I want to see a lot more and see what he does at the combine before targeting him. There are at least 6 and probably more to look at.
Not saying they don't count. What I am saying is when viewing "highlight film" you are seeing just the good plays. What I want to know is what is happening on the other plays. Is he getting stoned at the line, knocked down, not running at full speed, whiffing on tackles. We have guys on our team now that could put together a highlight reel but it would be pretty short. Lot's of guys show flashes. We see it in AA, Blair and Marsh and it leaves us wondering why they don't do it more. Polite might be great but I want to see a lot more and see what he does at the combine before targeting him. There are at least 6 and probably more to look at.

Like this?

Polite consistently gives very good effort. If you want an edge with an ELITE motor, click here.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 16, 2018 at 10:25 AM ]
Okay he's HOF.
Okay he's HOF.

DANG, did you come from the future?

If so, can I borrow your time machine?
Share 49ersWebzone