LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 198 users in the forums

Jaylon Ferguson DE Louisiana Tech

• jimrat
  • Veteran
6-5 260 lbs pass rushing machine, 6,14,7 sacks in his first 3 years and has 6 sacks this season so far.

Originally posted by jimrat:
6-5 260 lbs pass rushing machine, 6,14,7 sacks in his first 3 years and has 6 sacks this season so far.

He looks like a good athlete with a good first step and a good bull rush. The first half of the video is a throwaway, in that all of those sacks had him unblocked or picked up late. Decent hands and inside counter on the two sacks against UTSA. IMO, he looks like a project. Right now, I'd be happy if we picked him up late to develop behind the guy we take in the 1st and the guy we get in FA.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by jimrat:

He looks like a good athlete with a good first step and a good bull rush. The first half of the video is a throwaway, in that all of those sacks had him unblocked or picked up late. Decent hands and inside counter on the two sacks against UTSA. IMO, he looks like a project. Right now, I'd be happy if we picked him up late to develop behind the guy we take in the 1st and the guy we get in FA.

I agree with that amount of attention on the position this next off.
Had a chance to watch several games of Ferguson's. Still hungry to see more, but my first impression is this guy could be talked about as a 1st round pick by the time Draft Day arrives. He's come a long way since 2016. We'll see how he finishes the year and tests out at the combine.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 3, 2018 at 6:03 PM ]
Where's the best place to watch tape now? I feel lost without draftbreakdown.com.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Where's the best place to watch tape now? I feel lost without draftbreakdown.com.

You have to scrounge everywhere for any resource you can find to dig up clips and video. Binge on search engines and social media.

I can tell you right now, Jaylon was already looked at as a 2nd rounder by scouts in 2017, so like I said, the way he's started this year I see him being a 1st rounder.
This is old, old footage 2016.

Here's him in 2018:

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 23, 2018 at 3:48 PM ]

Wait what?!! What happened to draftbreakdown.com??
Originally posted by Waterbear:

RIP
Originally posted by Waterbear:

RIP

Shiiiit! They were my go to. I even paid for their site when they did that.

More clips:

Watch him absolutely steamroll the LT in this one:

Man, I guess I'm missing something here. I don't see a lot of hand technique. I absolutely appreciate his get off, but most of his wins are on bull rushes. He has a sick push-pull, but that's just a counter off of the bull rush. I like his stab, but that's just a one-armed bull rush. I'd like to see some bend, some swipes/chops/arm bars, arm overs... SOMETHING that indicates an ability to use that crazy get off to win with SPEED. He has great closing speed to the QB, so his speed moves wouldn't even need to be that special, as long as he can win the edge.

I don't have a ton of confidence in a young player (who doesn't appear to have especially long arms and who isn't particularly heavy) bull rushing NFL tackles early in their career. From what I've seen, he's dominating guys who won't play in the NFL, but I don't know that he'll be able to do the same against NFL-caliber OTs.

Again, I must be missing something. I'll pay close attention to him in the Sr. Bowl.
He looks quite impressive in those clips. I am curious as to how strong he is truly. Are we talking Lawson strong? Also, how consistently is he off the snap that quick? Is he jumping the snap count, or is he truly that explosive
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
He looks quite impressive in those clips. I am curious as to how strong he is truly. Are we talking Lawson strong? Also, how consistently is he off the snap that quick? Is he jumping the snap count, or is he truly that explosive

He's shown an explosive first step his entire college career and tremendous power. Yes it's conference USA and not the SEC but great players will dominate inferior competition and that's what he's done, currently leading the nation in sacks.

To wrath's point, yes arm length will be key to look at. As far as moves, I'll dig up more, but Ferguson has far more moves than just that. He can win with speed or power and I don't doubt if he continues this trajectory he'll be a first round pick.

Certainly would love to see him against top competition. And we'll get to see him face off against Montez Sweat and MSU next week on 11/3. That will be an awesome game to really watch both these guys.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
More clips:

Watch him absolutely steamroll the LT in this one:

The right end was pretty good as well. Who is he?
Share 49ersWebzone