There are 205 users in the forums

David Montgomery-RB-Iowa State

One of my favorite RB's this year, I feel like he's someone who could appeal to the 49ers come draft time. I first noticed him when watching some Lazard videos. His cutting ability is pretty ridiculous and he's got the lower body strength to fight and push through contact, break tackles and keep his legs churning forward. He didn't have great blocking and ended up turning a lot of would-be losses into nice gains. I was not surprised at all to see that he led the Big 12 in yards after contact. He's got decent speed, outstanding quickness and ha shown enough as a receiver that I don't believe he'd have any issues with any facet of this offense, in the run or pass game although his pass blocking was erratic in the games I watched. Overall he's an interesting prospect that I'm going to be following closely.

Montgomery is listed as being 5110 – 216, and he looks all of that. I wouldn't say he has great speed, but he has good play speed. His time will probably be in the mid 4.5s when he runs at the Combine. What Montgomery has is very good quickness and a burst. He is able to get to full speed very quickly. He also possesses very quick feet and excellent change of direction, balance and body control. He isn't a breakaway-type runner, but Montgomery gets a number of 15-to-20-yard runs. In only one game this past season did he have a run of more than 40 yards.

Montgomery shows very good vision and run instincts. He is more of a jump-cutter than a cutback-type, but he does show that he can cut back when the opening is there. Montgomery has a low running style, and he attacks his opponents on contact. He is not a move-the-pile runner, but Montgomery does consistently get yardage after first contact. His leg drive is very good. In the open field, he can make opponents miss with his quick feet and burst.
Where Montgomery excels is as a pass receiver. He has very good hands and does a great job adjusting to the ball. He is quick to turn up field after the catch and get positive yards. It is these traits that will make him a valuable prospect for the NFL, where he will be an every-down back.
The area where Montgomery needs to improve is with his pass blocking. He shows a willingness — and that is important in the evaluation process. But he needs to improve his positioning and hand use. He also needs to anchor a little better, which will come once he gets to the NFL level.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/07/30/greg-gabriel-early-2019-nfl-draft-breakdown-iowa-state-rb-david-montgomery/a5yxmkw/
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Looks kinda like Tevin Coleman who I think Shanahan would go after next March. Of course this is all dependent on how Brieda will do. Morris looks ok but not holding my breath he'll be the feature back or fix the 9ers offense will need.
Any relation to Ty Montgomery of GB?

When watching Montgomery, Foster is the RB that immediately comes to mind. Not a super speedster but patient and deliberate with great vision and great change of direction ability. You can see how he would fit well in this scheme and be used in a similar fashion to Alfred Morris.

Give me McKinnon, Breida and Montgomery next year!

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

When watching Montgomery, Foster is the RB that immediately comes to mind. Not a super speedster but patient and deliberate with great vision and great change of direction ability. You can see how he would fit well in this scheme and be used in a similar fashion to Alfred Morris.

Give me McKinnon, Breida and Montgomery next year!

That 2nd clip...hot damn.

I can't see SF going RB early enough to get him though.
Having an incredible game tonight.

A RB from my area, Jirehl Brock, is going to Iowa State to hopefully take his spot.
Dude looked really good last night. Him and Cohen is gonna be fun for Bear fans

My pick for OROY, he should get a lot of carries this year..
Share 49ersWebzone