There are 126 users in the forums

Sam Beal-CB-Western Michigan

Petitioning the NFL to enter the Supplemental Draft. Could be the best prospect available since Josh Gordon, was already seen as a top prospect for the 2019 draft.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/western-michigan-cb-sam-beal-enter-nfl-supplemental-draft-145458248.html

Beal is an intriguing prospect. 6'1", 190 pounds, outstanding athleticism as a track athlete, had a terrific season, he could add some unexpected excitement to the supplemental draft process.

"He was a joy to coach," Lester told Yahoo Sports in a phone interview. "I wanted to coach him one more year. When it comes to talent and work ethic, he's one of the best I've ever been around. I'm looking forward to watching him at the next level."

Beal will continue to train at Western Michigan and the school plans to eventually host his pro day. Lester specified that Beal didn't flunk out of school, but his eligibility was compromised because he didn't meet minimum credit specifications. "The bottom line is he was forced to make this decision," Lester said. "His GPA isn't bad. We did everything we could to try [to help him]. We made sure we did everything in his best interest."

Beal will be an intriguing prospect for teams. He earned first-team All-MAC from Pro Football Focus, as he specializes in press coverage and has the prototype body for the modern NFL corner. He broke up 10 passes and picked off two others. During Western Michigan's undefeated regular season under former coach P.J. Fleck in 2016, Beal broke up eight passes. Among Beal's two interceptions last year was a pick of USC's Sam Darnold in Western Michigan's game in Los Angeles last year when he ripped the ball from Trojan receiver Jalen Greene along the sideline. "He's a unique combination of big and quick twitch," Lester said. "He has great length and speed, and that's what everyone looks for."

If the 49ers feel they could still use more at CB then they will have some solid options to select from in Beal, Adonis Alexander and Brandon Bryant if they are so inclined to dip into the supplemental draft.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Petitioning the NFL to enter the Supplemental Draft. Could be the best prospect available since Josh Gordon, was already seen as a top prospect for the 2019 draft.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/western-michigan-cb-sam-beal-enter-nfl-supplemental-draft-145458248.html

Beal is an intriguing prospect. 6'1", 190 pounds, outstanding athleticism as a track athlete, had a terrific season, he could add some unexpected excitement to the supplemental draft process.

"He was a joy to coach," Lester told Yahoo Sports in a phone interview. "I wanted to coach him one more year. When it comes to talent and work ethic, he's one of the best I've ever been around. I'm looking forward to watching him at the next level."

Beal will continue to train at Western Michigan and the school plans to eventually host his pro day. Lester specified that Beal didn't flunk out of school, but his eligibility was compromised because he didn't meet minimum credit specifications. "The bottom line is he was forced to make this decision," Lester said. "His GPA isn't bad. We did everything we could to try [to help him]. We made sure we did everything in his best interest."

Beal will be an intriguing prospect for teams. He earned first-team All-MAC from Pro Football Focus, as he specializes in press coverage and has the prototype body for the modern NFL corner. He broke up 10 passes and picked off two others. During Western Michigan's undefeated regular season under former coach P.J. Fleck in 2016, Beal broke up eight passes. Among Beal's two interceptions last year was a pick of USC's Sam Darnold in Western Michigan's game in Los Angeles last year when he ripped the ball from Trojan receiver Jalen Greene along the sideline. "He's a unique combination of big and quick twitch," Lester said. "He has great length and speed, and that's what everyone looks for."

If the 49ers feel they could still use more at CB then they will have some solid options to select from in Beal, Adonis Alexander and Brandon Bryant if they are so inclined to dip into the supplemental draft.

Don't know much about Beal, Alexander, or Bryant - which of the three would be the best fit for the Niners' scheme?
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Don't know much about Beal, Alexander, or Bryant - which of the three would be the best fit for the Niners' scheme?

Both Beal and Alexander would be great fits. Both tall(6'1" and 6'3") and long CB prospects while Bryant is a speed demon that projects to either FS or CB.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Both Beal and Alexander would be great fits. Both tall(6'1" and 6'3") and long CB prospects while Bryant is a speed demon that has is projects to either FS or CB.

Thanks. I'll be very curious to see what happens with any of these three in regards to the Niners...if by that time the Niners are comfortable with what they currently have in the secondary or if they want to add one of these guys (sounds like all three could fit and are playmakers).
Beal was projected to be a top 5 corner for next year's draft. He is a stud.

I'd defiantly use a 3rd on him.
Sounds like it will take a first rounder to get him.

Talented Cornerback Sam Beal Files To Enter 2018 Supplemental NFL Draft
Western Michigan cornerback Sam Beal had been considered a potential top pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. At 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds, the defensive back has prototypical size. He's also proven himself to be a playmaker with 18 passes defended and two interceptions over the past two seasons.

There's not going to be a shortage of teams interested in adding Beal to the mix. His issues are academic. He has no off-field concerns to speak of. That's big in today's NFL.
Considered a potential starter at the next level, it would not be an absolute shock to see Beal selected within the first two rounds of the draft should he be deemed eligible.
Coupled with the above-mentioned Alexander, these two cornerbacks could actually make this year's summer draft worthy of our attention.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2018/06/06/talented-cornerback-sam-beal-files-to-enter-2018-supplemental-nfl-draft/#6efa7401394a
Has a team ever used a 1st on a player in the supplemental draft?
I'd throw a second or a third. I doubt we kick the tires tho, seeing as to how we drafted Moore to play outside
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Sounds like it will take a first rounder to get him.

Talented Cornerback Sam Beal Files To Enter 2018 Supplemental NFL Draft
Western Michigan cornerback Sam Beal had been considered a potential top pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. At 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds, the defensive back has prototypical size. He's also proven himself to be a playmaker with 18 passes defended and two interceptions over the past two seasons.

There's not going to be a shortage of teams interested in adding Beal to the mix. His issues are academic. He has no off-field concerns to speak of. That's big in today's NFL.
Considered a potential starter at the next level, it would not be an absolute shock to see Beal selected within the first two rounds of the draft should he be deemed eligible.
Coupled with the above-mentioned Alexander, these two cornerbacks could actually make this year's summer draft worthy of our attention.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2018/06/06/talented-cornerback-sam-beal-files-to-enter-2018-supplemental-nfl-draft/#6efa7401394a

1st round pick no team is gonna throw their 2019 1st rd pick (without even knowing where they will be picking yet) in the supplemental draft. no way no how

Originally posted by SteveYoung:

Here's the list of players taken in the supplemental draft...most 1sts were QBs and that hasn't been done since 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_supplemental_draft_picks

most I'd give up is a 3rd. dats it.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
I'd throw a second or a third. I doubt we kick the tires tho, seeing as to how we drafted Moore to play outside

All the more reason to not like that pick in the 3rd but anyway..... if we take a Beal or Alexander and if McFadden actually makes the team, why not leave Moore at FS. Have him and Colbert battle it out. We know Moore is a good S and don't know what he can be as a CB.

Colbert was a pleasant surprise for a 7th round pick. i think some posters takes his exceeding expectation to think that he's better than he actually is.

Getting one of those two players IMO would all but secure our secondary for the next 4 seasons or so ESPECIALLY if Mcfadden does pan out. I base this off of Moore staying at FS and not moving to CB. Which would be the move i would make especially if we got one of these two players.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

Here's the list of players taken in the supplemental draft...most 1sts were QBs and that hasn't been done since 1992.

Only team who took a player on supplemental draft 1st round and thrive as rookie was Browns in 1985 with Bernie Kosar.

i too would only give up a 3rd. Those are easy to get back.

I'd give up a 2nd for Beal. With one more good season he'd be entering 1st round discussion. If you consider that the 49ers 2nd rounder will likely be mid 2nd round at the earliest, if the team thinks he can develop into a long term starter then I am down. He'd still have all of training camp and preseason to catch up on the defense.
Share 49erswebzone