LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 194 users in the forums

2019 49ers draft

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
As a Santa Clause fan, I always looked forward to Christmas morning. Then one year I asked Santa at the mall for a pony....I didn't get that pony, now I can't wait for Easter...that bunny will bring me chocolate and presents....

/end thread
  • eman
  • Veteran
I think sometimes decency is lost to some in this forum
there is some of you here... even if we draft absolutely horribly, say trust in the process and never will admit anything is wrong with our team... i salute you for your die hard passion and commitment to this team, even if you see something going terribly wrong

and then, there is some of us... we may be pessimist... but we still want the franchise to succeed and will celebrate just as hard as those who follow the team blindly...
I hope we can agree to disagree on some topics...

I am happy and hopeful with some of our draft picks.. I hope they pan well.. I just think that we are way overvaluing some of the players where we are picking them up just because they are "scheme fits". even a sixth grader could tell you, drafting for need is much worse than taking the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. I understand shanny wants his scheme fits, but sometimes you have to learn to settle with your secondary options. that is why some of us are not excited when we end up with Beathard, Joe Williams, dante pettis, Kentavious street... even Mcflinchey, but i guess i can understand why he was a need and we needed to take him early...
Originally posted by eman:
there is some of you here... even if we draft absolutely horribly, say trust in the process and never will admit anything is wrong with our team... i salute you for your die hard passion and commitment to this team, even if you see something going terribly wrong

and then, there is some of us... we may be pessimist... but we still want the franchise to succeed and will celebrate just as hard as those who follow the team blindly...

I am happy and hopeful with some of our draft picks.. I hope they pan well.. I just think that we are way overvaluing some of the players where we are picking them up just because they are "scheme fits". even a sixth grader could tell you, drafting for need is much worse than taking the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. I understand shanny wants his scheme fits, but sometimes you have to learn to settle with your secondary options. that is why some of us are not excited when we end up with Beathard, Joe Williams, dante pettis, Kentavious street... even Mcflinchey, but i guess i can understand why he was a need and we needed to take him early...

Well, I rather trust the GM and HC (not to mention Adam Peters) who know far more about these players than we do. You draft to win a superbowl...not to win a draft.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on May 3, 2018 at 2:47 AM ]
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Well, I rather trust the GM and HC (not to mention Adam Peters) who know far more about these players than we do. You draft to win a superbowl...not to win a draft.

Exactly. We didn't draft the webzone favorites or the media darlings. Too bad.

Last year's draft was pretty successful if you look out how much they contributed and their performance. Witherspoon, Williams, Jones, and Colbert are all looking like they'll have a nice role this year. The ink hasn't even dried on this draft class and people are writing them off already.

Scheme fits are extremely important. BPA is nice, but when you have to tell a guy like Tank to add 25lbs to fit your scheme it erases all value IMO. Your BPA becomes a project that may not ever pan out for you.

Everyone says you have to wait a few year's to judge a draft and it hasn't even been 3 weeks. Kyle's offense has a proven track record using "his" guys. The Goodwin, Taylor, Gabriel kind of castoffs would've all been boo'd if we drafted them. He knows what he's doing.

Peters and his crew are surely steering Lynch the right way on defense. Admittedly I didn't love the draft because I want a LEO, but the team stuck to their board and drafted the best fits.
  • eman
  • Veteran
I hear you guys... great points
But there were some GMs that thought Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russells would be the next line of great QBs... so please stop lying to yourself saying the GMs know best...
if you were to tell me Scott Mcloughlan thought someone would be great and traded up to get his guy, I would give him benefit of the doubt (he turned around 9ers, seahawks and helped redskins). but who are adam peters and John Lynch as talent evaluators? what have they done to deserve giving them a pass. great find on colbert, taylor and kittle last year and my hats off to them,

unlike some, I am not unhappy that we didnt draft a pass rushing DE... thats fine.. if they thought there were none that warranted picking up, its ok...
but I just dont like when we OVERVALUE Mcglinchey and Pettis and Kentavious... what i mean is if u were to ask not the webzone, but ALL scouts and talent evaluators, they all had way lower values when they were picked up.. I understand why they had to get mcglinchey.. thats fine.. i wont argue... but pettis was supposed to go 3rd rd (even he admitted he was shocked because he heard from most he would be third rd, maybe late 2nd at best), Kentavious was supposed to go 6th rd or later... are you really going to tell me that the ONLY WR that would fit shannys game plan in the whole draft was Pettis?? its like... if you really really like a house and they are asking for 1 million, would you just come out offer 2 million and be ok buying it while you are not a very rich person? I understand if you are a multi millionaire and thats ok.. but we have SO MANY holes on this team, and many places we could get better. dont have the luxury of just throwing aside picks
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Expecting the 49ers to be drafting between 26 to 32 in next year's draft, it's really time for Shana-Lynch to roll the dice and MOVE UP in the mid TEENS.

It's also time to target a #1 WR that would strike fear to those opponents.

So far, the only 3 WRs on my list from last season that I remember very promising are..

AJ Brown of Ole Miss

Collin Johnson of Texas

and the enigmatic N'Keary Harry of Arizona State..

but it's early, so those guys my not even be the player that they were last year..

on the other hand, if we have no chance of drafting them, I say we make a trade for either JULIO or AJ (Bengals)
I'm guessing the team goes either pass rush, running back, or o-line(again) not necessarily in that preference. I would include WR but seeing how high Pettis was drafted, it seems unlikely the team goes in that direction. I mention o-line because guard is still a little suspect and it wouldn't be a bad idea to look for Joe's replacement before he retires.
Originally posted by eman:

Hyde was a good running back, but he is an example of scheme fit. Breida seemed more productive as the backup and he is a scheme fit. So what is BPA in the general media, doesn't mean he can play here. Another good example is Kaep, that should be an obvious model. Bethard was a third round pick! He needs to learn the game, even first rounders need to sit and learn. A good example is Aaron Rogers he sat for 3 years and he was first rounder. Not everyone will be a Brady or even Cousins, btw they also sat before getting their chance. Just as Montana did. Pettis and Street, have not seen the field and you are judging? We got Trent as a fifth rounder who got 43 catches. Pettis can play all three positions and will be crucial on special teams. I think people are drinking to much of the kool aid that the media puts out. Williams, this will be his prove it season, but we got Jared who comes from the same mode as Breida in college. You can't cover position in the draft and be successful. The niners are casting a net by position. All the DB's we got this offseason is almost similar to the year we got our starters for the 1st SB-Lott, Wright, Williamson and Hicks.

Street was picked because they can stash him for the future, being on injured reserve means providing he recovers from injuries, he will contractually tied to the niners for 5 years at least (someone correct me if this has changed). This year he can learn the scheme and will be ahead of anybody they pick the next year. Next year Blair and Day will be in their last year. Do they keep both? Street can play inside and out. Plus Mitchel is in his ninth year this year. I thought they would go after Sweat at that point, but there is the possibly the thinking by the coaches that Sweat is better than anything they have right now, after all they worked him out. Maybe there was something found that they didn't like that the fans are not aware of? There is so much info that fans and the media are not aware of. If you watch long enough, things come out just before the draft, during the draft or later.

Its refreshing to me that the GM and coach are working to get players that fit the scheme and not just bpa as determined by the media. Guys like Kiper and all don't take into account what a team is running or what kind of players are needed. Sometimes you will have a player that transcends any scheme like a Von Miller or Ware or Watt
hard to tell what is between the ears, like Aldon talent, but the middle of his head is empty or has some mental issues that can't be caught.
I want:

Interior lineman
WR with a big frame to win jump balls
Edge Rusher
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I want:

Interior lineman
Edge Rusher

For me, my order pf preference is:
Edge rusher
Freak TE
Center

Next year's draft class looks to be much deeper on the offensive and defensive lines. If the Niners pass rush is anemic again, they may draft an edge in the first round in 2019. On the other hand, if the improved secondary results in a better pass rush, they may draft another OT, given that Staley is 33 and they will need another starting tackle sooner than later. I can only imagine the meltdown here if the Niners take an OT in the first round two years in a row.
I want whatever position or position group that looks like it needs to be upgraded during the season.

We may not need anything if we win the dam Super Bowl!
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I want:

Interior lineman
Edge Rusher

For me, my order pf preference is:
Edge rusher
Freak TE
Center

You can cross center off your list. That isn't happening with Richburg here.
[ Edited by strickac on May 5, 2018 at 9:20 AM ]
I remember everyone here masturbating all over baalke's drafts. They turned out fantastic. Let's just wait and see.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
1. ER
2. WR
3. TE
Share 49ersWebzone