LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

ASU WR N'Keal Harry

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Honestly I think he's a project at WR

Maybe but he is the best WR in the last two drafts to me.

Probably. "Athleticism" is a little overrated by draftniks. If an NFL coach thinks he has the body, hands and temperament to make catches against any CB at any time... there's not much to think about. Guy doesn't need to run a 4.4 if he's physically dominant in this modern NFL.

I think so too. For a dude his size, I was surprised to see how much he struggles vs press. He doesn't know how to use his hands to beat jams, and his route running is super rudimentary.

I see a lot of people dropping him to a day 2 prospect. That feels about right.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 29, 2018 at 10:23 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

I think so too. For a dude his size, I was surprised to see how much he struggles vs press. He doesn't know how to use his hands to beat jams, and his route running is super rudimentary.

I want him to be super successful. But I've watched every game this year and he's dropped a lot of passes. Yes he can make spectacular catches, but don't make the mistake he has elite hands. He's dropped at least 7-8 passes, some of which were right in his hands. He has struggled against physical DBs, its why he is often moved to the slot in formations. His separation is non-existent. He has little burst out of cuts

He has elite size and body control. Once the ball is in his hands, he can make plays happen. At this point, he's kind of a poor-man's TO (without the baggage). He's a big time playmaker. Sometimes those guys don't make it because they cant master the routes well enough.

I wouldn't blame him if he went to the NFL, but he has a lot of improvement on routes to make and I've love for him to work on getting more burst.
Originally posted by Heroism:

I want him to be super successful. But I've watched every game this year and he's dropped a lot of passes. Yes he can make spectacular catches, but don't make the mistake he has elite hands. He's dropped at least 7-8 passes, some of which were right in his hands. He has struggled against physical DBs, its why he is often moved to the slot in formations. His separation is non-existent. He has little burst out of cuts

He has elite size and body control. Once the ball is in his hands, he can make plays happen. At this point, he's kind of a poor-man's TO (without the baggage). He's a big time playmaker. Sometimes those guys don't make it because they cant master the routes well enough.

I wouldn't blame him if he went to the NFL, but he has a lot of improvement on routes to make and I've love for him to work on getting more burst.

I see the same issues. I want to like him but I see the tremendous risk of taking him high. Would be more of a "I hope" pick -- and I just don't think we can afford to miss that high right now.
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25101052

Nice punt return by Harry against the Trojans.

He can't separate to save his life, even in college, that is a major issue. I don't see him being able to do it consistently in the NFL either because as others have mentioned, his route running isn't great either. That he can physically dominate smaller players in college at times is fine and dandy but NFL CBs won't be intimidated by him.

I don't see him suddenly becoming more explosive, I think as you said he has to develp into a far more proficient route runner to have real NFL success, otherwise he'll be another Treadwell type.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He can't separate to save his life, even in college, that is a major issue. I don't see him being able to do it consistently in the NFL either because as others have mentioned, his route running isn't great either. That he can physically dominate smaller players in college at times is fine and dandy but NFL CBs won't be intimidated by him.

I don't see him suddenly becoming more explosive, I think as you said he has to develp into a far more proficient route runner to have real NFL success, otherwise he'll be another Treadwell type.

Yep. Players don't really develop burst.

He has to become a great route runner to utilize his physical size (to use the old old comparison, become Anquan Boldin). Otherwise he is Treadwell.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
N'Keal Harry just running away from the #15 ranked team in the nation.
He announced he is going pro
Doubt he falls to the 2nd round but my wish is he does and the niners take him if so..Bosa and Harry with the 1st 2 picks !

• okdkid
  • Veteran
A deserving WR1.

Way too much is made of separation. If you can catch the ball with consistency, why does it matter?

Guys like Dante Pettis need separation to catch with consistency. Harry does not. He is open and a viable option even with a corner hanging on his back.
Originally posted by okdkid:
A deserving WR1.

Way too much is made of separation. If you can catch the ball with consistency, why does it matter?

Guys like Dante Pettis need separation to catch with consistency. Harry does not. He is open and a viable option even with a corner hanging on his back.

Separation makes an easier throw for the QB, and the reason you want to see separation is because it wont be so easy posting up guys in the NFL.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
A deserving WR1.

Separation makes an easier throw for the QB, and the reason you want to see separation is because it wont be so easy posting up guys in the NFL.

Not saying separation shouldn't be improved. I'm saying it matters less for certain receivers. Harry is one of those guys.
Not saying separation shouldn't be improved. I'm saying it matters less for certain receivers. Harry is one of those guys.

For me, it should still be a requisite trait for a round 1 WR.
Share 49ersWebzone