There are 224 users in the forums

Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Not a good look, I've been peaking at Oliver since his all-American freshman year, and think he'll be a fine player, that said I no longer think he's the best interior lineman in the draft.

For me that distinction goes to Quinnen Williams.

I don't want either though so a few wins or a trade down would work.

Last thing we need is a player with an attitude problem. I can see Lynch scratching his name off already. Doesn't seem like the kind of player they want in the locker room.

s**t this team needs some attitude. Not a good look but I don't' think this will hurt his draft stock. Players and coaches get heated and go at each other sometimes. And I'm not advocating drafting him but we need to draft somebody with some attitude fight and want to. We got a team of tame pushovers

Agreed Brother..
Originally posted by English:
Probably not if Chuckie decides to trade Carr at the end of the season.

And if not Justin Herbert will be sitting there you got a couple teams that would love to move up for a QB.

I'll glady take a s**t ton of picks & get one of the 5 top end edge rushers as the backup plan to not getting Bosa.
I don't think the incident will affect his stock much.

The rumors about him being 5-11, 270 lbs, on the other hand, will plummet his stock if true.

Originally posted by Heroism:

Someone just told him that Gruden is strongly interested in him
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Oliver is intriguing but he's not an edge rusher. He's more like Aaron Donald, a true 3T.

Would the 49ers have the balls to trade Buckner for a top 1st rounder or an edge rusher and then select Oliver to replace him?

Oh man, that would be a sure sign of trying to be overly clever and it would fail. It would require more arrogance than sack IMO.
Just read he re-aggravated the knee, but should be fine. Wants to play the bowl game bad and not miss it etc. I respect that.

Unfortunately, like Thomas he'd be redundant for us imo. Which means we have to keep an eye on him.
Oliver would be a good pick, at least for depth. I'm hoping Lynch signs DT Malcolm Brown (Pats UFA)) which would give Buckner a guy to lineup beside him and create a solid young interior defense. Not sure how D.J. Jones figures in the competition . I do think Mitchell won't be back next season...while not bad, he's not a guy who can control the LOS , either. So, WRT Oliver, he could be a good pick, especially if Lynch trades down. A big reason our defense has sucked so bad this season is because the DL has underachieved. I think there'll be a number of different players in that group next year. Lynch will have to bring himself to admit Thomas isn't who he thought he was.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Oliver would be a good pick, at least for depth. I'm hoping Lynch signs DT Malcolm Brown (Pats UFA)) which would give Buckner a guy to lineup beside him and create a solid young interior defense. Not sure how D.J. Jones figures in the competition . I do think Mitchell won't be back next season...while not bad, he's not a guy who can control the LOS , either. So, WRT Oliver, he could be a good pick, especially if Lynch trades down. A big reason our defense has sucked so bad this season is because the DL has underachieved. I think there'll be a number of different players in that group next year. Lynch will have to bring himself to admit Thomas isn't who he thought he was.

You don't draft a guy #1 just "for depth."

With Buckner, Day, Thomas, Jones, the team has plenty on the inside to not have to use another early pick on a DT. Especially an NT, a position that is far more dime-a-dozen.

Without looking it up, who were the nose tackles on the Seattle and Denver SB winning defenses?

Everyone knows that Fletcher Cox was the Eagles 3T last year, who was their NT?

In terms of priority on this defense, most would put it well behind edge rusher, behind CB, behind safety, behind weakside linebacker.

Its not that they shouldn't look to upgrade, its just that you really can't justify making it a priority over those other positions. Even during their 2011 to 2013 run its not like this team had an amazing NT. Soap and Ian Williams were both more than passable and had been acquired as late picks or undrafted.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

You don't draft a guy #1 just "for depth."

With Buckner, Day, Thomas, Jones, the team has plenty on the inside to not have to use another early pick on a DT. Especially an NT, a position that is far more dime-a-dozen.

Without looking it up, who were the nose tackles on the Seattle and Denver SB winning defenses?

Everyone knows that Fletcher Cox was the Eagles 3T last year, who was their NT?

In terms of priority on this defense, most would put it well behind edge rusher, behind CB, behind safety, behind weakside linebacker.

Its not that they shouldn't look to upgrade, its just that you really can't justify making it a priority over those other positions. Even during their 2011 to 2013 run its not like this team had an amazing NT. Soap and Ian Williams were both more than passable and had been acquired as late picks or undrafted.

Nice post but this really belongs in the Quinnen Williams thread. I completely agree that a NT isn't valuable, it is the same level as SAM IMO, in that you can get away with splitting the roles with two players, one who excels in base, one that plays passing downs.

Now Oliver would fulfill the passing down part of this and I agree that isn't worth it.

However a player that excels and dominates both in base and passing downs is worth a top pick. That player doesn't come off the field, and they create havoc by either requiring a double team, or wrecking the play.

That player might well be Quinnen Williams.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ed Oliver & Buckner would be nice
  • Andra
  • Veteran

man is this kid good.
Originally posted by Heroism:

looks like we're getting Oliver, Boithz!

SWITCHING ONE LUNATIC IN FOSTER FOR ANOTHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Share 49ersWebzone