There are 151 users in the forums

Nick Bosa, EDGE, Ohio St(The Politics Free Thread)

Originally posted by okdkid:
I agree. They should. But I don't think WE should give up more than a 3rd for that exact reason. Our pick holds incredible value to the Cardinals for the very reason you mentioned.

They'd have to really really really want QW to actually move down for just a 3rd. That's kinda wishful thinking. would love it though lol
Originally posted by tjd808185:
It's comparable in alot of ways. We still desperately need the edge, he'd have competition from a high pick, Buckner is there in the premiere spot. We'd just be hoping that because he's a better prospect things will work out better.

Its not like the NT in this scheme is asked to two gap. Williams would be attacking and penetrating as well. In nickel packages, both he and Buckner would be playing 3T.

The key as has been from the beginning, is to sign a legit edge rusher that can get after a QB on 3rd downs. Whether that be a Graham, Flowers, Ford or someone else.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Its not like the NT in this scheme is asked to two gap. Williams would be attacking and penetrating as well. In nickel packages, both he and Buckner would be playing 3T.

The key as has been from the beginning, is to sign a legit edge rusher that can get after a QB on 3rd downs. Whether that be a Graham, Flowers, Ford or someone else.

To my knowledge, none of those edge rushers have a black belt in karate as Marsh does
It's comparable in alot of ways. We still desperately need the edge, he'd have competition from a high pick, Buckner is there in the premiere spot. We'd just be hoping that because he's a better prospect things will work out better.

This. The whole reason behind the big end in this scheme is to be able to vary who is 2-gapping. The big end can 2 gap from a true 4 or a 5, the Nose can 2 gap, and the 3T can technically 2 gap. If they have playmakers all along the front, they can spread the 2 gap responsibility, or they can keep the SS rolled up and no one needs to 2 gap.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

To my knowledge, none of those edge rushers have a black belt in karate as Marsh does

Does he actually have a black belt, or did he just steal a move from the Power Rangers?
  • thl408
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

This. The whole reason behind the big end in this scheme is to be able to vary who is 2-gapping. The big end can 2 gap from a true 4 or a 5, the Nose can 2 gap, and the 3T can technically 2 gap. If they have playmakers all along the front, they can spread the 2 gap responsibility, or they can keep the SS rolled up and no one needs to 2 gap.

Are you able to tell if the BE is two gapping for the 49ers? I know Red Bryant would two gap for SEA's defense in their hybrid fronts. I can't tell what Saleh is asking from his BE.
Originally posted by thl408:

Are you able to tell if the BE is two gapping for the 49ers? I know Red Bryant would two gap for SEA's defense in their hybrid fronts. I can't tell what Saleh is asking from his BE.

It depends. Armstead has 2 gapped at big end, as have Mitchell and Jones at nose. I don't remember seeing Buckner 2 gap when he rotated down to nose. Sometimes, no one 2 gaps, because the SS is there to account for the extra gap. Sometimes I can't tell, because they get rolled off the line or read backside pursuit quickly.
  • thl408

It depends. Armstead has 2 gapped at big end, as have Mitchell and Jones at nose. I don't remember seeing Buckner 2 gap when he rotated down to nose. Sometimes, no one 2 gaps, because the SS is there to account for the extra gap. Sometimes I can't tell, because they get rolled off the line or read backside pursuit quickly.

Thanks. I know Saleh has said they are an attacking front, but if he is true to what Carroll did/does in SEA, then there is two gapping from different players like you said (they switch up who is 2 gapping). Anyway, Bosa.

Thanks. I know Saleh has said they are an attacking front, but if he is true to what Carroll did/does in SEA, then there is two gapping from different players like you said (they switch up who is 2 gapping). Anyway, Bosa.

Yes, Bosa is strong enough to 2 gap if they play him at big end, but they already have so many big ends that I'd prefer to see him at LEO.

Yes, Bosa is strong enough to 2 gap if they play him at big end, but they already have so many big ends that I'd prefer to see him at LEO.

There is no chance of Bosa being asked to 2 gap, he's still going to rush the passer, just has the ability to play the run as well.

People are thinking Nick can/will play BE because of Joey, the things is that Joey is bigger and doesn't even play BE, the Chargers don't really use one, Derwin rolls down a ton, and they just rotate Bosa and Ingram and both play like 7Techs most of the time.

Will he be at the combine?
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

Of course, what do you think he took most of the year off for? Probably all juiced up on PEDs and ready to become a historic combine workout warrior.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Of course, what do you think he took most of the year off for? Probably all juiced up on PEDs and ready to become a historic combine workout warrior.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:

The Boz

In all seriousness, doesn't his absence this year bother anyone?

It sounds like he intentionally skipped his senior year hoping to cash in big come draft day..

That's a red flag for such a high pick.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 23, 2019 at 2:26 PM ]
The Boz

In all seriousness, doesn't his absence this year bother anyone?

It sounds like he intentionally skipped his senior year hoping to cash in big come draft day..

That's a red flag for such a high pick.

Huh? He intentionally got hurt? Cuz that's why he essentially skipped the rest of the season. He was planning on at least playing all year(maybe not the bowl game)

Before he got hurt he was virtually unstoppable, putting out boner inducing NFL caliber tape. He chose to focus on his recovery and draft prep instead of rushing back from injury to only risk injury. He showed enough to make him a top 2 pick. Literally no upside to coming back to play for OSU at that point.
Share 49ersWebzone