There are 287 users in the forums

UDFA-Want List and Rumors

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Re: Coleman Shelton (from NFLDraftScout.com):

Coleman Shelton, C (Washington):
Shelton, who earned first-team All-Pac 12 honors as a senior, isn't the biggest or strongest center, but he is among the quickest. His mobility and technique will be appreciated by zone-blocking schemes. Possesses a short, stubby frame well-suited to playing in the interior. Best attribute may be his light feet and balance. Shuffles easily from left to right in pass protection and shows good quickness for the trap block and to get out and pull. Very competitive. Highly respected by teammates and the coaching staff for his work ethic, including time spent in the film room.

They ran a lot of outside zone at Washington. The transfer from what he did in college to what he'd be asked to do with the 49ers is pretty similar.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Shelton, who earned first-team All-Pac 12 honors as a senior, isn't the biggest or strongest center, but he is among the quickest. His mobility and technique will be appreciated by zone-blocking schemes. Possesses a short, stubby frame well-suited to playing in the interior. Best attribute may be his light feet and balance. Shuffles easily from left to right in pass protection and shows good quickness for the trap block and to get out and pull. Very competitive. Highly respected by teammates and the coaching staff for his work ethic, including time spent in the film room.

They ran a lot of outside zone at Washington. The transfer from what he did in college to what he'd be asked to do with the 49ers is pretty similar.

Good news for Shelton, along with the fact that besides C he has some versatility to play either of the two G positions. Some additional info on him (from University of Washington's SB Nation site: https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2018/4/29/17298852/washington-husky-football-2018-nfl-draft-undrafted-free-agent-signings):

Washington Offensive Lineman Coleman Shelton has signed a free agent agreement with the San Francisco 49ers.

As a four-year starter, Coleman Shelton has been one of the steadiest and most versatile linemen to ever play at Washington. Shelton can boast having started games in every single position along the offensive line. But it was the center position where Shelton found his groove. The Husky star racked up All PAC 12 team honors in both his junior and senior seasons, playing most of the time at center.

Shelton will go into the NFL as one of the most astute and technically sound offensive linemen coming out of this draft class. What he might lack in sheer size or strength, he makes up for in consistency and execution. While athletic enough to play guard, Coleman projects as a center at the next level.

According to his family, twenty teams put in similar bids for Shelton's services. After careful consideration, Coleman selected the 49ers where he will be reunited with fellow All PAC 12 star Dante Pettis.
Good news for Shelton, along with the fact that besides C he has some versatility to play either of the two G positions. Some additional info on him (from University of Washington's SB Nation site: https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2018/4/29/17298852/washington-husky-football-2018-nfl-draft-undrafted-free-agent-signings):

Washington Offensive Lineman Coleman Shelton has signed a free agent agreement with the San Francisco 49ers.

As a four-year starter, Coleman Shelton has been one of the steadiest and most versatile linemen to ever play at Washington. Shelton can boast having started games in every single position along the offensive line. But it was the center position where Shelton found his groove. The Husky star racked up All PAC 12 team honors in both his junior and senior seasons, playing most of the time at center.

Shelton will go into the NFL as one of the most astute and technically sound offensive linemen coming out of this draft class. What he might lack in sheer size or strength, he makes up for in consistency and execution. While athletic enough to play guard, Coleman projects as a center at the next level.

According to his family, twenty teams put in similar bids for Shelton's services. After careful consideration, Coleman selected the 49ers where he will be reunited with fellow All PAC 12 star Dante Pettis.

He couldn't have picked a better coach and scheme for his skillset than the 49ers. I wonder if Petersen had any influence on his decision. Shanahan basically runs the NFL version of his offense.

He couldn't have picked a better coach and scheme for his skillset than the 49ers. I wonder if Petersen had any influence on his decision. Shanahan basically runs the NFL version of his offense.

Yeah, good point. I'll bet Petersen did have some influence on his decision. Looking forward to hearing about how Shelton is doing in the OL competition.

Agreed...top 10 C from this class but one of a few who has zone experience. Great fit and he has a legit chance to make the team and add real depth behind Richburg.

Another G who went undrafted is Skyler Phillips and he's a guy we met with. I'd love to pick him up unless I missed that he went to another team?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Agreed...top 10 C from this class but one of a few who has zone experience. Great fit and he has a legit chance to make the team and add real depth behind Richburg.

Another G who went undrafted is Skyler Phillips and he's a guy we met with. I'd love to pick him up unless I missed that he went to another team?

Good call on Phillips and his fit in this scheme - he also played a lot at C I believe. I saw that the Seahawks picked him up.
Good call on Phillips and his fit in this scheme - he also played a lot at C I believe. I saw that the Seahawks picked him up.

Arg!

Thanks.
As I went thru this post, I had to laugh. so many people complaining about the niners not being active in signing UDFA. I laughed because I wondered are they not reading the news that zone publishes or that articles on NFL.com or ESPN.

One article said the niners were busy right after the draft and had signed/ agreed to terms with I forgot how many players. Saying they had gotten most active. Maybe it was because they the players they (the fans) wanted weren't getting signed or they weren't paying attention to the news?

So many fans are looking for players that the media has hyped up as being the ones that has the it and hinging on the media's group think, that the players they promote can fit in any system. Not realizing that Kyle and Co., has specific wants and traits that they are looking for. Even in FA when we have seen players get huge contracts but end up meh or average cause they don't fit.

Examples of good signings or trades are the niners getting Sherman (providing his injury heals) and Talib for the Rams. Because they played in the system and fit. Our FA pick ups are good signings because they fit. So do the draft picks on paper. Although in UDFA, you might be able to gamble on those outside the box. fans can see, Kyle and Saleh wants certain physical characteristics in a player. While Lynch looks for a certain type of personality.
He couldn't have picked a better coach and scheme for his skillset than the 49ers. I wonder if Petersen had any influence on his decision. Peterson basically runs the College version of [b]Shanahans offense.

FTFY
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah, he's a good fit for our scheme. Just plug him in.

Originally posted by WildBill:
As I went thru this post, I had to laugh. so many people complaining about the niners not being active in signing UDFA. I laughed because I wondered are they not reading the news that zone publishes or that articles on NFL.com or ESPN.

One article said the niners were busy right after the draft and had signed/ agreed to terms with I forgot how many players. Saying they had gotten most active. Maybe it was because they the players they (the fans) wanted weren't getting signed or they weren't paying attention to the news?

So many fans are looking for players that the media has hyped up as being the ones that has the it and hinging on the media's group think, that the players they promote can fit in any system. Not realizing that Kyle and Co., has specific wants and traits that they are looking for. Even in FA when we have seen players get huge contracts but end up meh or average cause they don't fit.

Examples of good signings or trades are the niners getting Sherman (providing his injury heals) and Talib for the Rams. Because they played in the system and fit. Our FA pick ups are good signings because they fit. So do the draft picks on paper. Although in UDFA, you might be able to gamble on those outside the box. fans can see, Kyle and Saleh wants certain physical characteristics in a player. While Lynch looks for a certain type of personality.

To be fair - you are looking in hindsight. Those posts were posted before a single 49er UDFA was announced while meanwhile 90% of almost everybody's top 10 UDFA had signed with other teams and we were literally the only team without a single reported signing.

Personally I'm a little shocked we didn't make a bid for and land players like Holton Hill, Jeff Holand, Hercules, and Quenton Meeks who play positions of need where we have little proven production and in the case of Holland/Hercules we totally neglected in the draft. We were significantly more active in landing high end UDFA last year (literally signed half of most analysts top 10 lists). This year it seemed like we went all in on McFadden and the rest went with camp bodies or a few good scheme fits. Not sure what your argument is for not throwing $60k at Holland/Hercules/Meeks and creating competition for our unproven positions. The Vikings and Eagles did exactly that and always seem to draft BPA and no coincidence they have arguably the best roster in the NFL.

UDFA are cheap as s**t, require no draft capital and we are an attractive destination due to our trajectory and lack of depth at some of those positions so why would we not sign a guy like Hercules who was a FAR more productive prospect than Marsh?
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Originally posted by WildBill:

To be fair - you are looking in hindsight. Those posts were posted before a single 49er UDFA was announced while meanwhile 90% of almost everybody's top 10 UDFA had signed with other teams and we were literally the only team without a single reported signing.

Personally I'm a little shocked we didn't make a bid for and land players like Holton Hill, Jeff Holand, Hercules, and Quenton Meeks who play positions of need where we have little proven production and in the case of Holland/Hercules we totally neglected in the draft. We were significantly more active in landing high end UDFA last year (literally signed half of most analysts top 10 lists). This year it seemed like we went all in on McFadden and the rest went with camp bodies or a few good scheme fits. Not sure what your argument is for not throwing $60k at Holland/Hercules/Meeks and creating competition for our unproven positions. The Vikings and Eagles did exactly that and always seem to draft BPA and no coincidence they have arguably the best roster in the NFL.

UDFA are cheap as s**t, require no draft capital and we are an attractive destination due to our trajectory and lack of depth at some of those positions so why would we not sign a guy like Hercules who was a FAR more productive prospect than Marsh?

Probably cause they think Hercules is Marcus rush lol.
Share 49ersWebzone