LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 165 users in the forums

Combine 3 done drill

I think the 3 cone drill is arguably the best drill to evaluate how a prospect will translate to the NFL.

http://www.stack.com/a/at-the-nfl-combine-the-3-cone-drill-reveals-the-next-great-pass-rushers

Here is how some of the best pass rushers fared in the 3 cone:

Chandler Jones, 7.07 seconds
Khalil Mack, 7.08 seconds
Von Miller, 6.70 seconds
Ryan Kerrigan, 7.18 seconds
Cameron Jordan, 7.07 seconds
Aaron Donald, 7.11 seconds
Melvin Ingram, 6.83 seconds
Cameron Wake, 7.12 seconds
Ezekiel Ansah, 7.11 seconds
Calais Campbell, 7.45 seconds
Vic Beasley, 6.91 seconds
Demarcus Lawrence, 7.46 seconds
Joey Bosa, 6.89 seconds
Olivier Vernon, 7.39 seconds
Frank Clark, 7.08 seconds
Cliff Avril, 6.90 seconds
Fletcher Cox, 7.07 seconds
Gerald McCoy, 7.32 seconds
Nick Perry, 7.25 seconds
Justin Houston, 6.95 seconds
Derrick Morgan, 7.12 seconds

Now compare that to this year's crop of edge rushers:

Dorance Armstrong, 7.12 seconds
Marcus Davenport, 7.20 seconds
Kylie Fitts, 6.88 seconds
Marquise Haynes, 7.14 seconds
Harold Landry, 6.88 seconds
Sam Hubbard, 6.84 seconds
Josh Sweat, 6.88 seconds

SAM linebacker prospects:

Genard Avery, 6.90 seconds
Oren Burks, 6.82 seconds

Nick DeLuca, 7.09 seconds
Lorenzo Carter, ?
Tremaine Edmunds, ?
Jeff Holland, 7.25 seconds
Ogbonnio Okoronkwo, 7.09 seconds
Uchenna Nwosu, 7.05 seconds
Kemoka Turay, ?

I'd be thrilled if we could trade down and get one of Harold Landry or Sam Hubbard to be our LEO.

Then at SAM I really wish Lorenzo Carter would have ran a 3 cone. He has the sideline to sideline speed and can set the edge but we need our SAM to be a threat as a pass rusher as well.

Genard Avery and Oren Burks are two guys who could surprise as 3rd or 4th round picks but it seems to me like Josh Sweat is ideal as a SAM for us. He takes setting the edge very seriously and had an elite 3 cone.

I think we would be in great shape if we can get Hubbard or Landry as a LEO and Sweat to be our SAM.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Apr 10, 2018 at 11:34 AM ]
Sorry, I love Sam Hubbard, and this is a nice breakdown, but he is no LEO, you can tell that after about 3 snaps.

He's a conventional 4-3 DE, just doesn't have the burst required. He's a worker though, I'm a big fan, just don't think he fits our scheme.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
love me some 3 done drill
I am a huge believer in the 3 cone. When Cooper Kupp ran a forty time above 4.6 at the combine, I was not freaked out. His 3 cone time was blazing, and he dominated competition in college and at the Senior Bowl.

This year, one guy that should jump out (even though this thread is more about edge rushers) in his three cone time: Leighton Vander Esch, at 6' 4 1/2", 256, ran a 6.88, and a 1.56 10 yard split. These are crazy measurables for an ILB. Mixed with solid instincts, this guy has all the tools to be a huge star in the league. Not enough buzz on him.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Sorry, I love Sam Hubbard, and this is a nice breakdown, but he is no LEO, you can tell that after about 3 snaps.

He's a conventional 4-3 DE, just doesn't have the burst required. He's a worker though, I'm a big fan, just don't think he fits our scheme.

His 3 cone of 6.84 disagrees with you about not having burst.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I am a huge believer in the 3 cone. When Cooper Kupp ran a forty time above 4.6 at the combine, I was not freaked out. His 3 cone time was blazing, and he dominated competition in college and at the Senior Bowl.

This year, one guy that should jump out (even though this thread is more about edge rushers) in his three cone time: Leighton Vander Esch, at 6' 4 1/2", 256, ran a 6.88, and a 1.56 10 yard split. These are crazy measurables for an ILB. Mixed with solid instincts, this guy has all the tools to be a huge star in the league. Not enough buzz on him.

Absolutely agree on Leighton. He will be a 3 down beast and can do it all.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Did i miss what the bolded names are for
Originally posted by krizay:
Did i miss what the bolded names are for

Crazy ass 3 cone times
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

His 3 cone of 6.84 disagrees with you about not having burst.

I won't argue with your methods, there are NFL GM's (and successful ones at that) who have based entire rosters on measurables.

Hubbard works insanely hard and isn't just a workout warrior, he's an extremely good football player.

I go primarily from what I see when watching them, and side by side against the other rushers he just doesn't seem to have the burst. I put him on par with the likes of Ejiofor and Holland, not Landry level and certainly not more explosive than OO like testing suggests.
I won't argue with your methods, there are NFL GM's (and successful ones at that) who have based entire rosters on measurables.

Hubbard works insanely hard and isn't just a workout warrior, he's an extremely good football player.

I go primarily from what I see when watching them, and side by side against the other rushers he just doesn't seem to have the burst. I put him on par with the likes of Ejiofor and Holland, not Landry level and certainly not more explosive than OO like testing suggests.

Well the measurables say he is as athletic as Landry but the tape says he is better vs the run and never takes plays off.

If I had to choose between the two I'm taking Hubbard.

Hubbard may never be a 15 sack guy but neither was Justin Smith and his impact was felt throughout the entire D. I think Hubbard will be a 70 tackle, 6-8 sack guy and will help his team be a force vs the run year in and year out. He is one of the more well rounded edge rushers available. I love how work ethic too.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Apr 10, 2018 at 12:16 PM ]

• krizay
  • Veteran
Crazy ass 3 cone times

But you apparently pick and chose who to bold. Some with better times not bolded.
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 10, 2018 at 12:20 PM ]
Yeah I'm a bigger fan of the 3 cone than 40 yard dashes for pass rushers and even receivers.
Well the measurables say he is as athletic as Landry but the tape says he is better vs the run and never takes plays off.

I'm not Landry's biggest fan, ask NY, but it's evident that he is by far the most athletic edge defender in this class.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Hubbard may never be a 15 sack guy but neither was Justin Smith and his impact was felt throughout the entire D. I think Hubbard will be a 70 tackle, 6-8 sack guy and will help his team be a force vs the run year in and year out. He is one of the more well rounded edge rushers available. I love how work ethic too.

I would rather Hubbard over sweat or key personally.

Chubb
Landry
Davenport

Okronkwo

Hubbard
Ejiofor

Turay
Carter

Sweat
Key
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 10, 2018 at 12:32 PM ]
Shouldn't Solly be included in that 3 cone time list?
Share 49ersWebzone