There are 195 users in the forums

Beau Nunn-OG/C Appalachian State

Appalachian State has one of the most zone heavy attacks in college football and Nunn fits the profile that Shanahan seems to look for in his linemen. He's a pretty athletic linemen, gets out to the second level well, very mobile, lunges a bit much as a pass blocker but was fairly consistent when run blocking. Nunn wasn't invited to the Combine but had a reportedly impressive Pro Day, running a 5.01 40 and putting up 28 reps on the bench press along with a 31 inch vertical. He's expected to be a very late round pick or even possibly going undrafted. He played right tackle throughout his time in college but is expected to best fit at guard in the NFL. Teams have also worked him out at center.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2017/12/21/football-nunn-a-qb-protecting-pancake-delivering-standout-for-app-state.aspx

Nunn has allowed only one sack at right tackle, and PFF College Football data says his four QB pressures allowed rank first among the 179 FBS tackles with at least 300 pass-block snaps. NC State's Will Richardson and Northern Illinois' Eugene German are tied for second place with five pressures apiece.

"He's played a lot of football, so he's a guy that's perfecting his craft," App State offensive line coach and co-offensive coordinator Shawn Clark said. "As a lineman, an inch here or an inch there is a big difference, and you really saw him take his game to the next level, whether it's pass blocking, run blocking or how he finished.

"That was probably the biggest thing for me, watching how he finished games out. He was taking guys 5, 10 yards down the field and finishing them to the ground, which is what you want to see."

Given a line-leading grade of 84 by App State's coaches, who determined he had 670 "plus" plays in his 802 snaps, Nunn finished the regular season with 62 knockdown blocks and 14 pancake blocks.

Some of his favorite plays to review on film involved double-team blocks with longtime roommate and right guard Colby Gossett. They've made a combined 85 starts, including 45 straight from Gossett.

Clark recalled the two seniors driving a New Mexico State defender 15 yards to the end zone on one App State score, and true freshman Daetrich Harrington scored his first career touchdown by following the battle-tested tandem as they drove a Georgia Southern defender into the end zone.

"We took him on a little joy ride and got after it a little bit," Nunn said.

There was also the memorable "backside" block in which Jalin Moore gained 58 yards at Georgia State after running through an up-the-middle hole created by Gossett and Nunn, who was turned in the wrong direction. He simply boxed out the defender, and Moore's long gain early in the third quarter set up a touchdown that gave the Mountaineers a 17-7 lead in their 31-10 victory.

Nunn's most noticeable effort in a throwing situation occurred at ULM, where Moore caught Taylor Lamb's swing pass in the backfield and raced down the right sideline for a 75-touchdown. He broke free after cutting behind a block from the 6-foot-4, 300-pound Nunn, who had advanced 17 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to engage a defensive back.

"I was supposed to get the frontside linebacker, but he blitzed, so I just ran to the first guy I saw and blocked him out of bounds, and Jalin cut in behind me," Nunn said. "That was awesome. I didn't even know where (Moore) was – I was just blocking my guy. I looked out of the corner of my eye and he was going downfield."

The science is lacking, but there is a recruiting strategy in place.
App State utilizes a zone blocking scheme, with head coach Scott Satterfield often stating semi-seriously the Mountaineers have only two running plays: the inside zone and outside zone.
Troy coach Neal Brown said this week that Appalachian is the best team in the country at running the outside zone, which calls for linemen to move laterally at the snap. With defenders willing to flow toward the sideline, taking on the correct assignment and blocking the inside portion of a defender's body can create a cutback lane for Moore or Cox.
Given its scheme and status as a Group of Five program, Appalachian State often recruits linemen who are smaller (with an ability to add weight) and more mobile than Power Five prospects.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/football/app-state-s-highly-regarded-ol-tackles-another-challenging-test/article_95a7e6f9-5213-5b10-862c-8abb973fbdba.html

But how good is his pass blocking ?
Originally posted by Hardcoreniner559:
But how good is his pass blocking ?

Nunn has allowed only one sack at right tackle, and PFF College Football data says his four QB pressures allowed rank first among the 179 FBS tackles with at least 300 pass-block snaps. NC State's Will Richardson and Northern Illinois' Eugene German are tied for second place with five pressures apiece.

From what I've seen he gets overpowered at times but usually does a good job of moving his feet and getting into his stance, holding his own against speedier pass rushers. Has a tendency to lunge which gets him into trouble but that is something that can be worked on with proper coaching.
I'm more interested in colby gossett
Originally posted by NYniner85:

He's the more highly rated prospect, worse scheme fit overall compared to Nunn. Feet aren't as quick as Nunn, doesn't move as well in space from what I've seen, he's more of a fit for a team that runs a lot of inside zone and power blocking.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's the more highly rated prospect, worse scheme fit overall compared to Nunn. Feet aren't as quick as Nunn, doesn't move as well in space from what I've seen, he's more of a fit for a team that runs a lot of inside zone and power blocking.

Gotta work on pass pro but great for ZBS
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Gotta work on pass pro but great for ZBS

Funny thing is now finally we need run blockers...#brickby..
Pro Football Focus lists Appalachian State G Colby Gossett as one of the most underrated players in the 2018 NFL Draft class.

It's a loaded guard class, but the 6-foot-5, 315-pound Gossett hasn't gotten near the attention someone of his production has. At least in PFF's eyes. "Gossett has good size for the next level, but it's his zone blocking that stands out as he has a number of impressive reach blocks on tape," they write. "He regularly gets out and turns defenders on the front side of outside zone plays, and his ability to execute those difficult blocks make him attractive to outside zone teams." Gossett could be a steal on Day 3, but someone who values his athleticism an
Bar None?

Share 49ersWebzone