LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

DE Lorenzo Carter Georgia

LORENZO CARTER (EDGE)
HT: 6'6" WT: 242LBS.
POSITION: EDGE
SCHOOL: Georgia

Overview
Before Georgia's Liberty Bowl matchup against TCU in December 2016, head coach Kirby Smart challenged Carter and others to step up their games. The long, lean rush linebacker with excellent straight-line speed responded with seven tackles and two forced fumbles in the win, showing the playmaking ability scouts expected to see. Carter had been productive in his junior season (44 tackles, five sacks, 13 pressures in 13 games, with nine starts), but much more had been expected of him since arriving between the hedges. He came through with a second-team All-SEC senior campaign, starting 10 of 15 games played, making 61 tackles, 7.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks, and a team-high three forced fumbles while often playing off the line of scrimmage. Carter was ranked as high as the second-best recruit in the country, and Georgia fans are thrilled to see the Norcross native (he led the team to a state title with 132 tackles, 40 for loss, six sacks as a senior) staying in-state. He was the team's Newcomer of the Year in his first year on campus, starting five of 13 games played, making 41 tackles, seven for loss, and 4.5 sacks. Carter had an impressive Belk Bowl performance against Louisville that year, with eight tackles and a sack. His sophomore numbers dropped, however, as he started just two of 13 games and had just 19 tackles on the year.

ANALYSIS
Strengths
Tremendously long and rangy. Long strider with ability to cover ground quickly and close on wide flowing plays. Effective use of arm length. Consistent punch and separation against blocks. Takes contain responsibilities seriously. Plus quickness in lateral slides. Frame unravels to catch running backs who think they are in the clear. Uses long-arm stab to access blocker's frame and set the edge. Build-up speed creates downfield angles to the sideline to challenge ball carriers and receivers after catch. Active as tackler to search for and yank at the football. Forced and recovered six career fumbles. Has edge-threatening get-off. Uses slinky upper body to slide around blocker's punch. Flashes talent to flip hips around the arc and flatten to the quarterback. Posted 15 career sacks.

Weaknesses
Gangly frame begging for more weight and muscle. Thin legs offer subpar base. Long tackles can neutralize his length and push him around. Not ready to handle downhill rushing attack headed for his doorstep. Herd tackler with just moderate solo numbers. More of a straight-line mover than expected. Rush can be too easily stalled when rushing as an end. Slow to activate hands as a pass rusher. Will need to develop rush plan and hand usage to counter his lack of play strength. Not enough boom for conversion of speed to power.

Draft Projection
Rounds 2-3

Sources Tell Us
"He was a really big deal coming out but I didn't think he developed as much after his freshman year as I expected him to. He's been in a lot of different roles over there but this year I thought he looked more aggressive and more comfortable outside." -- SEC area scout for NFC team

NFL Comparison
Na'il Diggs

Bottom Line
Carter was a five-star prospect and one of the most heralded players in the nation when he was recruited by Georgia but he never made the impact expected of him as a Bulldog. However, Carter played with increased toughness and confidence this year and his NFL potential began to reassert itself once again. Carter is an outside linebacker in a 3-4 or 4-3 with sideline-to-sideline range and the tools to become a productive edge rusher in sub-packages. He needs to add more bulk, but he is a future NFL starter.

Unsure but Sorry if there is a thread on him already, if not I'm surprised, he's a very nice prospect who I'm intrigued to see at the combine, I think he could easily start at SAM LB over Harold and Marsh and rotate off the edge at LEO, could be a steal with one the the niners 3rd rd pick..
Don't like him at all. People will love his measureables but he's going to bust really hard.
Originally posted by Dillesq:
Don't like him at all. People will love his measureables but he's going to bust really hard.

I disagree, I think he has yet to even scratch the surface of what he could be..if around in the 3rd I hope he becomes a niner..
I wasn't impressed watching him, he'd be an upgrade on Eli Harold, but that isn't saying much. I don't see him as a Nickel rusher so I really don't see the value.
Originally posted by jersey49er:

I disagree, I think he has yet to even scratch the surface of what he could be..if around in the 3rd I hope he becomes a niner..

I'm with you. I see good tools in him and someone who plays violent when he's in on the play. I think an NFL coaching staff can get the best out of him, especially if he doesn't go super high which is very likely.

When looking at projects I like to see guys flash but also show they have a knack for making big plays when they are in on the play. Carter was underwhelming overall at Georgia but I think he can be a better pro. Would be happy to land him in the 3rd.

Also while there's no guarantee Foster would even be on the team moving forward if he gets his arrest stuff sorted out and stays on the roster I think he and Carter can push each other. Two big talents with Foster obviously having the play on the field to back it up. I think a guy like Carter would want to match that intensity.
Baalke type edge rusher. Looks great coming off the bus with a lot of "upside," but suffers from a rudimentary mental approach with inept pass rushing technique, especially hand use. This dude is 100% project.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these guys. IMO, more often than not, these players manifest in the Corey Lemoniers and Eli Harolds of the football world. There needs to be a fundamental semblance of mental and physical proficiency at the position for me. Give me a guy like Obo or Jeff Holland over Lorenzo Carter every time.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 28, 2018 at 5:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Baalke type edge rusher. Looks great coming off the bus with a lot of "upside," but suffers from a remedial mental approach with inept pass rushing technique, especially hand use. This dude is 100% project.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these guys. IMO, more often than not, these players manifest in the Corey Lemoniers and Eli Harolds of the football world. There needs to be a fundamental semblance of mental and physical proficiency at the position for me. Give me a guy like Obo or Jeff Holland over Lorenzo Carter every time.

The way I see it is if you're taking a guy like this in round 3+ it's worth the risk. Taking a guy like this round 1 or early day 2 is a big gamble.

Pass rushers are so hard to find I'd take this kid in the 3rd and hope he puts in the work. IMO the light has been going off for him lately and the tools are clearly there. I'd rather take a guy like this and have him beef up a bit and work on his hands and his pass rush moves and see what happens. Even if he ends up being a situational rusher it would be something we need. If he puts it together you have a good size edge rusher for cheap for at least a bit.

He's definitely one of the guys I'm excited to see at the combine. IMO I'd rather take Carter in the 3rd than Davenport with a top 10 pick.
Baalke type edge rusher. Looks great coming off the bus with a lot of "upside," but suffers from a rudimentary mental approach with inept pass rushing technique, especially hand use. This dude is 100% project.

Absolutely this, great post Hero, it's ridiculous that more GM's don't think this way, that's why guys like Carl Lawson make it to the 4th round.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Absolutely this, great post Hero, it's ridiculous that more GM's don't think this way, that's why guys like Carl Lawson make it to the 4th round.

Didn't Lawson have a lot of health questions ?? That would be the reason for his drop..
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

After Melvin Ingram and Lawson teams should definitely stop overreacting to arm length. I was shocked Lawson went as low as he did.

However IMO Carter isn't just a size/speed guy. He's shown me enough on tape to think if he puts in the work that he has a legit shot to be a great player in the NFL. I don't know the guy personally and I would hope if we target him we do our due diligence to ensure he's the type of guy who WOULD put in the work.

I'm with you not a fan

My thots too, Hero.
Originally posted by genus49:
The way I see it is if you're taking a guy like this in round 3+ it's worth the risk. Taking a guy like this round 1 or early day 2 is a big gamble.

Pass rushers are so hard to find I'd take this kid in the 3rd and hope he puts in the work. IMO the light has been going off for him lately and the tools are clearly there. I'd rather take a guy like this and have him beef up a bit and work on his hands and his pass rush moves and see what happens. Even if he ends up being a situational rusher it would be something we need. If he puts it together you have a good size edge rusher for cheap for at least a bit.

He's definitely one of the guys I'm excited to see at the combine. IMO I'd rather take Carter in the 3rd than Davenport with a top 10 pick.

I got no problem if it's a late rd pick...top 100 no way. Also if you draft a guy like carter in no way should you count on him being your starting edge guy.

I'm sure he will do well at the combine, like hero said looks good coming off the bus. I'll take production and flim vs 40 times
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 28, 2018 at 5:28 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I got no problem if it's a late rd pick...top 100 no way. Also if you draft a guy like carter in no way should you count on him being your starting edge guy.

I'm sure he will do well at the combine, like hero said looks good coming off the bus. I'll take production and flim vs 40 times

He's my project lol. And I like the flashes I see and I like that he doesn't come off lazy and plays within the system. He has the physical tools and I'd roll the dice to see him work on the technique.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

He's my project lol. And I like the flashes I see and I like that he doesn't come off lazy and plays within the system. He has the physical tools and I'd roll the dice to see him work on the technique.

That's fair...I see Jordan Jenkins 2.0 (and not because they both went to Georgia). I'd hope the draft more than one edge guy if they go for carter and I'd hope they didn't spend a top 100 pick on him.
Share 49ersWebzone