LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

Clelin Ferrell DE Raiders

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Andra
  • Veteran
6'5" 265lbs beast. Kind of surprised there's no thread for him yet. Dude is staying in school for his senior year but I want him now

Originally posted by Andra:
6'5" 265lbs beast. Kind of surprised there's no thread for him yet. Dude is staying in school for his senior year but I want him now

Pretty sure there was a thread but him staying in school kind of kills his draft stock for this year lol.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Pretty sure there was a thread but him staying in school kind of kills his draft stock for this year lol.

No doubt
I remember watching him in the National championship game against Alabama when he was a freshman. I think he had 2 sacks that night , I don't remember for sure but I knew I was going to pay attention to him.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Bump

This guy could be to number one overall pick in the draft next year
I'd give up 2 firsts.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RumphSteak:
I'd give up 2 firsts.

No freaking way would I ever do that. I wouldn't even give up two 1st round picks for Myles Garrett.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
What's he done?

The last player we all got hype about after last year's draft was Boston College's Landry.. and look what happened to him..

Personally, I like BOSA... those Bosa motors just doesn't stop..
Originally posted by 9moon:
What's he done?

The last player we all got hype about after last year's draft was Boston College's Landry.. and look what happened to him..

Wasn't there talk that Landry had legit injury concerns during the draft process that caused his stock to fall?

As for what he's done, he's been an absolute monster the last two seasons at Clemson. He dominated Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl and then helped Clemson defeat Bama in the title game in 2016 (though he actually had to leave the game in the second half). He helped enable Clemson's defense to not miss a beat despite losing Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd in the previous draft. He had another great season in 2017 and was a big reason Clemson made it back to the CFP despite losing basically the entire offense and some guy named Deshaun Watson in that draft.

Now the entire Clemson front is loaded (no joke I fully expect all 4 to get drafted in the first three rounds in 2019), so it's a little harder to rack up individual stats. He definitely plays with a motor and attitude and has all of the physical attributes you want, and he's a team leader with a great personality. Kid came back from a torn ACL that he suffered as a high school senior and has been dominant since he took the field for Clemson.

#75 that he is going against is LT Mitch Hyatt who has been the college version of a franchise tackle at Clemson since his freshman season. He came back for his senior year but should be a day 1/day 2 pick next year. He's the person Ferrell is talking about when he says "that's your All-American?" during drills.
Originally posted by 9moon:
What's he done?

What did happen to him? He hasn't played yet like any rookie in this class.

And what has Bosa done?

It's called projection. And unless you think we're picking top 5 next year odds are Bosa will be gone so nothing wrong with discussing other pass rush prospects.

When it's all said and done Ferrell may very well be gone in the top 5 as well. He plays for a big school and he's one of the best players on that really talented DLine.

Would love to have either player...but would hate to be in position to draft them where they're likely to go.
My early 2019 draft crush!! Lehhss Goooo!!

I'm thinking we are somewhere between 14 and 22, so we may have a shot.
Man, this edge class is sweet lol. Outside of Baby Bosa, Ferrell has the most developed arsenal of pass rush moves that I've seen. The guys wins soooooo many techniques. Really nice, violent hands. ATM, I think he's EDGE2.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 13, 2018 at 8:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Man, this edge class is sweet lol. Outside of Baby Bosa, Ferrell has the most developed arsenal of pass rush moves that I've seen. The guys wins soooooo many techniques. Really nice, violent hands. ATM, I think he's EDGE2.

I want us to win as many games as possible this year and go as far as we can in the playoffs but every loss we suffer I just think "better chance to land one of the top guys"

IMO Bosa, Ferrell, Burns, Sweat, Allen or Jackson need to be our pick. I'd prefer one of the first 4.
This is just dreaming out loud, and I am by no means in a hurry to write off Thomas, but what trade value does Soloman Thomas hold? I'd be fine with using our 1st with Ferrell, and then our 2nd and as much as next years 1st to move back into the 1st for brian burns. Can get a guard and swing tackle with the rest of the picks, and CB and RT next year.

Problem is, Ferrell is a 3 down player. If he is worth such a high pick, then we will be expecting him to be more than a situational rusher...

We would no longer need Thomas to play LEO in base. That means we either have him put on a little more weight and play 3T full time, moving Bucker to 5T. I think Buck will excel at big end, but hes already growing dominant at 3T. Can Solly play 3T for all 4 downs? Will he net more value in a trade than as a nickel interior rusher?

Other wise, just take one pass rusher high, and let solly continue to dominate vs the run from LEO in base
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Sep 14, 2018 at 1:40 AM ]
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
This is just dreaming out loud, and I am by no means in a hurry to write off Thomas, but what trade value does Soloman Thomas hold? I'd be fine with using our 1st with Ferrell, and then our 2nd and as much as next years 1st to move back into the 1st for brian burns. Can get a guard and swing tackle with the rest of the picks, and CB and RT next year.

Problem is, Ferrell is a 3 down player. If he is worth such a high pick, then we will be expecting him to be more than a situational rusher...

We would no longer need Thomas to play LEO in base. That means we either have him put on a little more weight and play 3T full time, moving Bucker to 5T. I think Buck will excel at big end, but hes already growing dominant at 3T. Can Solly play 3T for all 4 downs? Will he net more value in a trade than as a nickel interior rusher?

Other wise, just take one pass rusher high, and let solly continue to dominate vs the run from LEO in base

IMO, Thomas has little trade value ATM. DL value is primarily based upon pass rush production, and his is piss poor. He seems to possess the drive to improve, but he might be more of a project than anyone assumed. He seems to be thinking his way through plays, which makes him look slow and tentative. I worry that he's actually to smart/thoughtful to play DL well.
Share 49ersWebzone