There are 145 users in the forums

Clelin Ferrell DE Raiders

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
I would take this kid with the #2 overall pick. He might not have Von Miller's bendability, but he knows how to win consistently. I'll take that.

Ferrell and Ferguson were THE 2 MOST CONSISTENT Edge defenders the past 3 years of college. Bosa and Allen are one hit wonders. Bosa last year and Allen this year.

Call me crazy, but I'll say Ferrell will have the better career than Bosa and Allen.

You crraaaaaaaazy

What if he turns out to be right doe?

He might be. Ferrell's game won't be predicated on speed, so there's a reasonable likelihood that he'll be good for longer. Bosa and Allen could struggle to stay healthy or get marooned on crappy teams with no pass rush talent, so that they are doubled constantly. Allen could fail to develop as an edge rusher.

There are realistic explanations for any top prospect doing well or failing to do so. Ferrell is a very good prospect. He's missing bend and burst, but he appears to have everything else. He might even earn the "leverage monster" designation by having long arms without being tall.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
He might be. Ferrell's game won't be predicated on speed, so there's a reasonable likelihood that he'll be good for longer. Bosa and Allen could struggle to stay healthy or get marooned on crappy teams with no pass rush talent, so that they are doubled constantly. Allen could fail to develop as an edge rusher.

There are realistic explanations for any top prospect doing well or failing to do so. Ferrell is a very good prospect. He's missing bend and burst, but he appears to have everything else. He might even earn the "leverage monster" designation by having long arms without being tall.

Agreed. It's definitely possible. So far he knows how to use those long arms, he should only get better.
That's one of the first things that stood out to me when watching Clelin Ferrell. He's excellent at initiating contact and managing the distance between himself and tackles. Having long arms is useless if a player doesn't know how to use them, and Ferrell is one of the best(might be the best) in class at using his length to establishing contact and control and staying clean.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
I would take this kid with the #2 overall pick. He might not have Von Miller's bendability, but he knows how to win consistently. I'll take that.

Ferrell and Ferguson were THE 2 MOST CONSISTENT Edge defenders the past 3 years of college. Bosa and Allen are one hit wonders. Bosa last year and Allen this year.

Call me crazy, but I'll say Ferrell will have the better career than Bosa and Allen.

You crraaaaaaaazy

What if he turns out to be right doe?

Good post Wrath.

Agree - also my concern.

3:35 mark has a great breakdown of Ferrell standing a blocking TE straight up with only his right arm while he then reaches with his left arm and corrals the running back before he can score. Bama wound up later settling for 3 on this drive. The narrator has a great reaction.
^ that's some grown man s**t
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Ferrell is too lumbering to me.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Ferrell is DE number 2 for me, with Josh Allen and Brian Burns right there. However, Nick Bosa is far ahead of Ferrell
[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Jan 27, 2019 at 3:08 AM ]
The Senior Bowl was good for Ferrell. It was a lackluster event for the DEs as a whole, so it makes him look a little better.

Sweat is the only one who potentially moved ahead of him, yet they were probably interchangeable to begin with. The rest of the guys didn't appear to propel themselves into the top-20 picks. If anything, they just highlighted more concerns.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Ferrell is DE number 2 for me, with Josh Allen and Brian Burns right there. However, Nick Bosa is far ahead of Ferrell

Truth!

Clelin working on that bend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs_80Ncj1DY/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ngvmrc89c1fj
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs_80Ncj1DY/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ngvmrc89c1fj

Good to see, like any skill it can be developed, though it's obviously harder if the traits aren't there.

Ferrell is one of the only players I'm interested in seeing run at the combine, want to see how the 3 cone and 10 yard splits look.

He's certainly the most NFL ready edge not named Bosa.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Jan 27, 2019 at 2:40 PM ]

Good stuff

That's encouraging. I remember last year, Harold Landry was telling everyone that his bend wasn't innate talent, but that he developed it over thousands of reps running cone drills.

That's encouraging. I remember last year, Harold Landry was telling everyone that his bend wasn't innate talent, but that he developed it over thousands of reps running cone drills.

Yup! I still think there's a good possibility this kid ends up a 49er. He's got the size and production you want. His hands are violent and he's a dog. He's got the football characteristics that Lynch/Kyle love IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone