LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

Tremaine Edmunds - LB - Virginia Tech

Originally posted by Dillesq:
Exactly how is edmunds a superior prospect? Because he's taller? Because that's the only category where he beats out Roquan. You seem to be getting caught up in draft narratives telling you what to think as opposed to film and on the field evidence.

Edmunds looks like a good prospect. But there's nothing he can do better on the field than Roquan and many things he does worse than Roquan.

Not to mention that Roquan's biggest weakness, which are few, is also shared by Edmunds despite him being the much bigger man:

Not impressed with this dude. Has the measurables but like someone else already said, he's got rocks between the ears.

We need someone that can step right in and produce and be relied on. With the front 4 we already have in place, and decent LB should succeed.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4912:
Not impressed with this dude. Has the measurables but like someone else already said, he's got rocks between the ears.

We need someone that can step right in and produce and be relied on. With the front 4 we already have in place, and decent LB should succeed.

What?

I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess that, inexplicably, you absolutely love Roquan Smith.
Originally posted by okdkid:

What?

I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess that, inexplicably, you absolutely love Roquan Smith.

And you absolutely love Edmunds. I mean who honestly thinks Edmunds is currently a better prospect. Cause he has a slightly higher ceiling? And Roquan knock is he needs to hit the weights and get stronger. While with Edmunds you have to hope his football IQ and instincts improve.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

What?

And you absolutely love Edmunds. I mean who honestly thinks Edmunds is currently a better prospect. Cause he has a slightly higher ceiling? And Roquan knock is he needs to hit the weights and get stronger. While with Edmunds you have to hope his football IQ and instincts improve.

I don't love either. Both are flawed. And I wouldn't spend a top 10 pick on either for the Niners. But Roquan is way, way overhyped for a guy who is easily eliminated from the play.
[ Edited by okdkid on Jan 29, 2018 at 5:17 PM ]
Not comparing tho they are comparable but he reminds me of Hassan Reddicks hype from last year, and that's with no Sr Bowl or combine yet..

What?

ok so I'm biased, but you have to admit that Hero has made a good case for this guy to drop a bit.
I have been pumping the breaks on the hype for this kid, but at the same time, he is pretty good for a 19 year-old. Won't turn 20 until May 8.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

What?

I don't love either. Both are flawed. And I wouldn't spend a top 10 pick on either for the Niners. But Roquan is way, way overhyped for a guy who is easily eliminated from the play.

I just really feel like you're in an entirely different reality lol.

You just said the best LB in the nation is easily eliminated from the play. It's absolutely false, simple and unsupported by film. You are taking the criticisms against him (the same ones that can be said for Edmunds and every other Lb) and using it to for your narrative of wanting Edmunds over Smith. And it's quite ridiculous.
[ Edited by Dillesq on Jan 29, 2018 at 5:29 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I have been pumping the breaks on the hype for this kid, but at the same time, he is pretty good for a 19 year-old. Won't turn 20 until May 8.

He is only 19??? For real?

Wow.

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
This guy is Capt. Blown Assignments...I'll pass

And Roquan Smith is Capt. Get Blown Up at the POA. Just a matter of preference.

Edmunds appears superior as a prospect at this point. We'll see.

Good Luck with that..
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

Wow.

Too many people seem to be ignoring this. He's far from a finished product.

I'm still slightly against drafting a LB unless we trade outside of the top 20 and either Smith or Edmunds fall. That pick seems like it has to be one of Chubb, Davenport, Okoronkwo, Fitzpatrick, Jackson or Nelson.
What?

Roquan Smith is easily the winner of the most over hyped player award. He can have that award and we can have the better fit and probably NFL player in Tremaine Edmunds if Lynch is looking LB in the 1st round.
Originally posted by Ark49er:
What?

Roquan Smith is easily the winner of the most over hyped player award. He can have that award and we can have the better fit and probably NFL player in Tremaine Edmunds if Lynch is looking LB in the 1st round.

I really hope Lynch isn't looking for a LB in the first. I also don't think Smith is over hyped, but he's not my preferred top 10 pick either. I see his ceiling as a Thomas Davis/Telvin Smith/Deion Jones type WLB and that's no slouch, but we have too many holes at crucial positions on defense to be looking at first round LB's in back to back drafts. If we fill those holes in free agency, then I'm ok with taking him if we drop a few spots and he falls.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

Wow.
A 19 year old is definitely gonna have growing pains playing with grown ass man but the ceiling is huge and with good coaching I see why not? I trust lynch, Peters and the rest of the scouting department
Share 49ersWebzone