LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

Equanimeous St. Brown

Originally posted by NCommand:
That's a weak argument. The NFL trends together. Every bigger WR went crazy late or became UDFA's.

Didn't stop Cameron Sutton from going in the early 2nd round.

The bottom line is that this was a piss poor receiver class. One of the scouts that Bob McGinn spoke to said that this was the worst WR class that he's ever scouted. It speaks to the lack of depth in the class that guys like St Brown and Cobbs were ever considered to be second or third rounders.

Smaller receivers were prioritized in this draft because that is where the vast majority of the talent was. Guys like Moore, Ridley, Kirk and Pettis didn't go earlier because of rules changes, they were just flat out better overall reveivers, much more skilled and consistent.

If anything has changed I think its that NFL teams have been burnt so many times by bigger receivers with limited skills such as Justin Hunter, DGB, Cordarelle Patterson, Jon Baldwin and others that skill is being prioritized over pure physical size.

If you think St Brown is a good route runner, I don't know what to tell you. What I saw is a guy who too often ran sloppy, lazy routes, who has size but wound up getting outmuscled by much smaller defensive backs. You can't be big and soft, that isn't a great combination. He is someone who got by more on physical ability than pure skill.

McGinn's sources didn't have him ranked in the Top 12 WRs of the draft and had him, Cobbs, and Lazard all outside the 4th round so clearly where these guys ended up at wasn't entirely unanticipated.

In general McGinn's rankings tended to be closer to what actually went down than the vast majority of draft boards and ranking systems out there.
Had a really bad senior season. See Harold Landry how that can effect your draft status.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Had a really bad senior season. See Harold Landry how that can effect your draft status.

Yup...lost his QB.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NCommand:
That's a weak argument. The NFL trends together. Every bigger WR went crazy late or became UDFA's.

Didn't stop Cameron Sutton from going in the early 2nd round.

The bottom line is that this was a piss poor receiver class. One of the scouts that Bob McGinn spoke to said that this was the worst WR class that he's ever scouted. It speaks to the lack of depth in the class that guys like St Brown and Cobbs were ever considered to be second or third rounders.

Smaller receivers were prioritized in this draft because that is where the vast majority of the talent was. Guys like Moore, Ridley, Kirk and Pettis didn't go earlier because of rules changes, they were just flat out better overall reveivers, much more skilled and consistent.

If anything has changed I think its that NFL teams have been burnt so many times by bigger receivers with limited skills such as Justin Hunter, DGB, Cordarelle Patterson, Jon Baldwin and others that skill is being prioritized over pure physical size.

If you think St Brown is a good route runner, I don't know what to tell you. What I saw is a guy who too often ran sloppy, lazy routes, who has size but wound up getting outmuscled by much smaller defensive backs. You can't be big and soft, that isn't a great combination. He is someone who got by more on physical ability than pure skill.

McGinn's sources didn't have him ranked in the Top 12 WRs of the draft and had him, Cobbs, and Lazard all outside the 4th round so clearly where these guys ended up at wasn't entirely unanticipated.

In general McGinn's rankings tended to be closer to what actually went down than the vast majority of draft boards and ranking systems out there.

Valid points. Sutton went about where projected and the rest fell to the 6th +.

Good point about teams in the past falling for the fools gold. Similar concept with the long CB's.

No issues with the WR's that went ahead of them as they were more accomplished with better college production (and a different skill set).

When projecting to the NFL, given his route tree, it was solid and he was a good route runner for his size. You can't expect him to run Dante Pettis-type routes. Different skill sets. With Adam's game and Cobb, he should compliment both. I agree overall on his weaknesses, hence why he was projected for the third round.

NDT had him as one of their top 100 and one of their highest graded WR's: NDT Scouting. One scout even had to retract and rewatch and grade more objectively because of the bias and expectations of bigger wide receivers.

In the end, Pettis should be a nice fit here and St. Brown should be a nice fit in Green Bay. Both have different games and skill sets and both have quite a few things they need to work on at the NFL level.

I think the Pack got a steal in the 6th and we gave up 2 picks to move up for Pettis. We'll find out soon who the best value was.
Share 49ersWebzone