There are 223 users in the forums

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

Excellent write up. That guy really knows what the hell he's talking about. He must be a former LB or a football coach because his analysis of the Auburn game from a LB's perspective is spot on. If you're an old LB, you know how difficult it is to play within your keys and technique versus a team with multiple mesh points and convoluted flows reads. But like he said, that type of offense isn't found in the NFL, so I didn't markdown Roquan for that game.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 16, 2017 at 9:58 PM ]
Put him at WILL, keep him clean, and let him Work.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

Having him and Foster flying around would be absolutely nuts.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

It would be a tandem to drool over, and would free up the play calling.

I can't help but feel the early draft capital should go to the offense though.

The only thing that gives me pause is that they might be thinking, talent to win on D (1st & 2nd rounders) but after that give Shanahan his guys to scheme wins on Offense
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

It would be a tandem to drool over, and would free up the play calling.

I can't help but feel the early draft capital should go to the offense though.

The only thing that gives me pause is that they might be thinking, talent to win on D (1st & 2nd rounders) but after that give Shanahan his guys to scheme wins on Offense

If we sign Demarcus Lawrence...
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
But won't they play different positions. I don't see Malcolm Smith as the reason we won't draft another LB. He may be the reason we don't take a SAM LB high, but as a group, we are far from set. I'll definitely take a group of Smith/Foster/Smith. Hopefully this version of the Smith Brothers can last. The real question is the logjam at safety. Will Reid be a safety or linebacker longterm in this scheme?

Both smiths would play WILL, imo. If either were to play SAM, they'd be out of position

So much for that. So if everyone was 100% healthy that we have under contract, who was slotted to start at SAM this season?

I guess I have to be off the Smith to the Niners bandwagon and on the Jeff Holland one.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Nov 18, 2017 at 10:28 AM ]
Beast.

[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 21, 2017 at 1:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Beast.

Wow, that is awesome, he and Foster would be a tandem to fear. I still think our early draft capital should go to offense, and really want to find our SAM, but with a trade down I wouldn't turn my nose up
But won't they play different positions. I don't see Malcolm Smith as the reason we won't draft another LB. He may be the reason we don't take a SAM LB high, but as a group, we are far from set. I'll definitely take a group of Smith/Foster/Smith. Hopefully this version of the Smith Brothers can last. The real question is the logjam at safety. Will Reid be a safety or linebacker longterm in this scheme?

Both smiths would play WILL, imo. If either were to play SAM, they'd be out of position

So much for that. So if everyone was 100% healthy that we have under contract, who was slotted to start at SAM this season?

I guess I have to be off the Smith to the Niners bandwagon and on the Jeff Holland one.

I totally forgot about Eli Harold lol. That damn Malcolm Smith contract handicaps us.
I totally forgot about Eli Harold lol. That damn Malcolm Smith contract handicaps us.

Eli Harold sucks, hopefully we'd be able to dump Malcolm Smith to a team for a Gatorade or something! If not we'd have to eat it.

We were spoiled by Willis and Bowman. This is tempting tho. Where is he projected at this point? I'm sure by draftbday he will be too 5. We need him to dilute his sample.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
We were spoiled by Willis and Bowman. This is tempting tho. Where is he projected at this point? I'm sure by draftbday he will be too 5. We need him to dilute his sample.

Talent level, he may be. But I don't know of an ILB that went that high outside of Dick Butkus. Patrick Willis WAS a top 5 talent IMO in the 2007 draft and we got him at 11.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Eli Harold sucks, hopefully we'd be able to dump Malcolm Smith to a team for a Gatorade or something! If not we'd have to eat it.

That contract really bothers me. I wonder what options does the team have? Would it be worth it draft Roquan Smith anyway and trade Malcolm Smith after a year? It's hard to just let a talent like that go. Particularly when you can have them on a rookie deal for 4 to 5 years.

Yeah man Willis and Bowman were amazing to watch, I think Smith goes between 8-14, he's a beast, can't see the niners taking him considering they have much bigger needs elsewhere, would be sick to see him and Foster going crazy together tho..but hey who would've thought Foster would've fell where he did at this time last year so you never kno lol assuming he doesn't the good thing is ILB position is pretty deep..
Talent level, he may be. But I don't know of an ILB that went that high outside of Dick Butkus. Patrick Willis WAS a top 5 talent IMO in the 2007 draft and we got him at 11.

That contract really bothers me. I wonder what options does the team have? Would it be worth it draft Roquan Smith anyway and trade Malcolm Smith after a year? It's hard to just let a talent like that go. Particularly when you can have them on a rookie deal for 4 to 5 years.

I would have thought they'd front load it. An LB needy team might give us a 7th and eat the contract. If not you're right, the money we save on the rookie deal offsets the pain.

It would take the right trade down but it's possible
Originally posted by jersey49er:

Yeah man Willis and Bowman were amazing to watch, I think Smith goes between 8-14, he's a beast, can't see the niners taking him considering they have much bigger needs elsewhere, would be sick to see him and Foster going crazy together tho..but hey who would've thought Foster would've fell where he did at this time last year so you never kno lol assuming he doesn't the good thing is ILB position is pretty deep..

Yes. I wouldn't mind drafting him at all since that would mean we traded down etc, but I agree we have other needs to address. My being sentimental about Willis and Bowman was how lucky and rare it is to snag two talents like that. Willis was a monster and if his feet had held up he would probably still be playing at an elite level.

I still wouldn't mind seeing Foster and smith roam the field together.
Share 49ersWebzone