LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Fred Warner LB BYU

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by 801niner:
Originally posted by Dillesq:
Because hes a Mormon doesn't he have to go on a 2 year mission??

I don't think so...did Steve Young do that after college?

Ziggy went to BYU and then played. Honestly have no idea maybe that's something they do during their college career

He (Warner) didn't go on a mission...hes still young lol

Hi guys I might be able to answer your question since I am a Mormon who has served a mission. Young men are not required to serve a mission in the church but it is highly encouraged. They can now serve as early as 18 years of age but Mr. Warner has elected not to serve up until this point. The fact that he has declared for the NFL draft tells me that he doesn't intend to serve a mission. Might I add that drafting a Mormon from a football perspective is a smart move because you don't have to worry about the young man getting into any trouble with drugs and what not.

Thanks man!

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by 801niner:
Originally posted by Dillesq:
Because hes a Mormon doesn't he have to go on a 2 year mission??

I don't think so...did Steve Young do that after college?

Ziggy went to BYU and then played. Honestly have no idea maybe that's something they do during their college career

He (Warner) didn't go on a mission...hes still young lol

Hi guys I might be able to answer your question since I am a Mormon who has served a mission. Young men are not required to serve a mission in the church but it is highly encouraged. They can now serve as early as 18 years of age but Mr. Warner has elected not to serve up until this point. The fact that he has declared for the NFL draft tells me that he doesn't intend to serve a mission. Might I add that drafting a Mormon from a football perspective is a smart move because you don't have to worry about the young man getting into any trouble with drugs and what not.

Thanks man!

Thanks for that insight.
pretty much everything you need to be a good WILL from a measurable stand point

I think he's a better version of Duke Riley

Where's your film that says he can do it?
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

What you did there. I seen it.
Where is he slotted to go right now, mid 3rd?

here's a couple clips

He plays fast like Riley, is smart, instinctive, can cover etc. Thought it showed up during Senior Bowl week.

here's a nice write up from that week as well.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/byu-linebacker-fred-warner-ready-fly-draft-boards/

I mean I could totally be wrong

This is what I've compiled. It was difficult because Warner plays that overhang position in college that doesn't really exist in the NFL, but there are a few things that translate to off-ball LB in the NFL:

Originally posted by Heroism:
I forgot that Fred Warner played off-ball LB at the Senior Bowl. Given that it's a new position for him, he looked good in practices. I'm watching the game next.

Dude has wheels. Great range.

Reads counter and shoots it. Not bad. Just improving his feet would go a long way.

I like Fred Warner. I think the transition to WLB would be a little rocky at the start, but he'd pick it up in no time. I know he can be physical in a phone booth.

👀

Still grinding Warner's tape and continue to find things that translate. The transition to off-ball LB might be slightly turbulent in run fits to start, but Warner is already exceptional in coverage. His zone awareness is impressive.

Plays such as this one translate to Saleh's defense. The football IQ here is outstanding. Protects the sticks w/ proper depth; Head on a swivel; Reads QB the entire way. A lot to like about Warner, and he fits the 49ers' athletic profile at LB.

If the 49ers defer on LB until late day 2/day 3, Warner is my guy.

This is what I've compiled. It was difficult because Warner plays that overhang position in college that doesn't really exist in the NFL, but there are a few things that translate to off-ball LB in the NFL:

Hero, I was taking the piss because Warner didn't play the position in college, but projects as being able to do so in the pro's. A little nod to NY for bashing Minkah's ability to play outside.

The Senior bowl is the only time he has lined up and played anywhere near like he would for us. I think he's a good player and am definitely interested.

Hero, I was taking the piss because Warner didn't play the position in college, but projects as being able to do so in the pro's. A little nod to NY for bashing Minkah's ability to play outside.

The Senior bowl is the only time he has lined up and played anywhere near like he would for us. I think he's a good player and am definitely interested.

I feel ya ( I was gonna say it was more of a projection based on what he did at the senior bowl) BUT the difference with Minkah vs Warner is Warner is a 3rd/4th rd pick vs having to spend a top 10 pick on Fitz
I feel ya ( I was gonna say it was more of a projection based on what he did at the senior bowl) BUT the difference with Minkah vs Warner is Warner is a 3rd/4th rd pick vs having to spend a top 10 pick on Fitz

I feel you too, but I also think it's got a tiny bit to do with one of them resulting in us not picking your guy? No?
I feel you too, but I also think it's got a tiny bit to do with one of them resulting in us not picking your guy? No?

Honestly not really...sure I got a guy I like, I'd also love smith. Guess I like going for a safer pick in the top 10 as far as what his role will be on our team and his fit in the system.

I think Fitz is a really good football player, I'm not gonna say he's gonna be a stud outside CB when he's never done it. Warner is a mid rd talent and if he doesn't turn into a starting WILL the loss isn't as great. (We atleast got to see him play the position in the senior bowl).

I'll also add yes I've banged the drum for Landry but end of the day with all these QBs going high we will end up with a quality player. I have some higher than others but doesn't mean I dislike guys like Fitz to James.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 6, 2018 at 3:28 PM ]

Warner and Minkah actually look alike so there's that too lazy to put up pics
Share 49ersWebzone