LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 443 users in the forums

Saquon Barkley

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Too many of you are assuming that we get Cousins. Washington holds the cards, not us

Redskins don't have any leverage. They haven't signed Cousins yet. Do you think they're actually going to franchise tag Cousins for a third time? Can you even tag a player that many times?
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Too many of you are assuming that we get Cousins. Washington holds the cards, not us

Redskins don't have any leverage. They haven't signed Cousins yet. Do you think they're actually going to franchise tag Cousins for a third time? Can you even tag a player that many times?

They could Franchise him(34 million) but I doubt it. They could offer him a massive 25+ million a year deal. Which I think would get it done. Or what I think they do is a transition tag. In which they can just match whatever contract he is offered. Lots of ways the Redskins can hold onto him.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

They could Franchise him(34 million) but I doubt it. They could offer him a massive 25+ million a year deal. Which I think would get it done. Or what I think they do is a transition tag. In which they can just match whatever contract he is offered. Lots of ways the Redskins can hold onto him.

And the Redskins team is pretty good so if they make a playoff drive this year, add a couple offensive players then it will be a pretty attractive situation. Do you think "organizational disfunction" will sway him?
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

And the Redskins team is pretty good so if they make a playoff drive this year, add a couple offensive players then it will be a pretty attractive situation. Do you think "organizational disfunction" will sway him?

I posted this in NinerTalk:

What could happen: Redskins apply transition tag on Cousins, which allows him to negotiate with other teams. Whichever team offers a $150M+ or more contract gets matched by Bruce Allen who could then retain Cousins without ever having to negotiate. Cousin's may choose to stay with them since they've got an elite offensive line, a good defense, good offensive weapons, and a scheme he is very comfortable with. His issues have been with the FO not his team and coaches. He's a near 30 year old QB who if he comes here to a team that may not do much for 1-2 years at minimum. QB's at his age would prioritize money AND winning.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Eh why waste a top 5 pick on him when i can get Love later on

[ Edited by Jcool on Sep 27, 2017 at 10:48 AM ]
Haha, that was a good one.
Sign Cousins and draft this kid with our #1 pick!

Yes but if they transition tag him all we have to do is frontload it enough as to where they can't afford it.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Eh why waste a top 5 pick on him when i can get Love later on

Lol wut.
Depending on what moves Lynch makes in FA, Barkley could be on the Niners' radar. Even if they re-sign Hyde (seems likely) it'd be hard for Shanahan not to covet him. He is the real deal...with enough speed to take it to the house, rare tackle-breaking abilities, catches the ball very well and has rare stamina. In Coach's offense, I'd think Barkley would be ideal. Can't ever have too many studs...and Saquon is extremely studly. I want him on our team.

Originally posted by illinois9er:

Yes but if they transition tag him all we have to do is frontload it enough as to where they can't afford it.

Your acting like the 49ers will have more cap room than the Redskins. We don't.

Don't we?

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

yes they do.....
Originally posted by ninerAxe:

Don't we?

Click on that 2018 tab bud.
Originally posted by ninerAxe:

Don't we?

Click on that 2018 tab bud.

They are going to be closer to $100mil once 2018 offseason roles around
Share 49ersWebzone