LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Matt Linehan-QB-Idaho

Son of Cowboys OC and former NFL HC Scott Linehan. Has been playing in a mostly pro-style/New England like scheme in college. Intriguing prospect that has received comparisons to C.J. Beathard although he plays at a lower level of competition and doesn't possess the same arm. He has been improving steadily as a passer and with that improvement has come an improvement in the overall fortunes of Idaho as a team. Linehan has the potential to really draw some attention to himself with a high quality senior season. He's got the lineage, he has the foundation as a passer with solid footwork and mechanics, he just needs to improve his processing and develop better rhythm in the pocket but at minimum he seems to have the ability to become a high quality backup in the NFL. He is one QB I'll be watching closely to see if he can continue his improvement as a passer.

Every draft cycle, in the final weeks there is a quarterback or two who starts to rise. It's a rather familiar formula. The "pro-style" signal-caller, who remains under the radar, but gets picked much earlier than people expect. This year, it was Iowa's C.J. Beathard, who came off the board at the end of the third round after being selected by the San Francisco 49ers. Following the pick, some of the usual buzzwords were bandied about: Beathard read the field well, displayed good processing speed, came from a pro-style offense, and even had an NFL lineage, with his grandfather Bobby having spent years in the NFL as a general manager. What if I told you there is a player in the upcoming class who fits that mold? Who comes from an NFL coaching line, who runs a pro-style offense, who is well under the radar right now as people turn to the 2018 crop of QBs? Because there is one.

Meet Matt Linehan, from the University of Idaho.

In doing my work to get ready for the next draft season, I was watching a few games of Linehan, and at some point during my viewing of Idaho's victory over Colorado State it struck me: "They're running New England's offense." So I stopped the tape and started to read. First, back through my notes, with a copy of the Patriots 2003 and 2004 playbooks at my side. Sure enough, many of the passing concepts were staring back at me in Xs and Os formats. Then, I did some biographical work, and it made sense. Idaho's offensive coordinator, Kirk Cinovich, was both a teammate of and later a coach under Bobby Petrino. When Petrino was in the NFL with Jaguars, Jacksonville was using an Erhardt-Perkins-based scheme. Idaho's head coach? Petrino's younger brother, Paul. Oh, and Matt's father? Dallas Cowboy's offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Scott's offensive philosophy was molded under Dennis Erickson, the creator of the one-back spread, and the Cowboys currently run a more Air Coryell scheme. But when watching Matt in Idaho's offense, you can see the Erhardt-Perkins elements at work.

Now, we are light years away from the 2018 NFL Draft. As we know, development is not linear, and what we expect in June may not materialize for next November. But, that being said, Linehan and the Vandals have both steadily improved over the past few seasons, and the rising senior has shown great progress as a quarterback. Idaho is set to play their final season in the FBS this season before moving back down to FCS (a move Linehan has expressed some displeasure with). But signs point to one last solid year for the quarterback and his team, and the signs also point to Linehan being in line for that late-draft buzz before the first team is officially on the clock next May. He has the lineage, and as we have seen, he actually runs a pro-style offense. There are certainly aspects to his game that will need to improve, such as better play speed, less hesitation in the pocket, and getting through his reads quicker, but right now, I'm intrigued for sure. Linehan is definitely worth keeping an eye on this upcoming draft season.

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/teams-ncaa/division-ia-fbs/sun-belt/idaho-vandals/2017/05/10/matt-linehan-next-c-j-beathard/

Key Games for 2017->

Sat, Sep 16
@
Western MI

Sat, Oct 21
@
Missouri

Thu, Nov 2nd
vs
Troy
Man, next years draft is gonna be loaded ay qb. Im guessing we're gonna ne drafting in the early teens. I'm just hoping we get a qb who's in a pro style. Don't wanna have a qb from a gimmicky offence
Originally posted by DickNasty:
Man, next years draft is gonna be loaded ay qb. Im guessing we're gonna ne drafting in the early teens. I'm just hoping we get a qb who's in a pro style. Don't wanna have a qb from a gimmicky offence

Depends on whether or not they sign a QB like Cousins. If that is the case, they could bypass a QB altogether but there will be a few intriguing pro-style options throughout as well if they go the draft route.
I like this guy, man.

How about this guy ???
My boy. From my Alma mater. Wouldn't mind bringing him in as the third QB to compete with CJ.

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/teams-ncaa/division-ia-fbs/sun-belt/idaho-vandals/2017/05/10/matt-linehan-next-c-j-beathard/
It'd be like having Bono and Grbac at the same time.
Buy low sell high, we could keep drafting QB's coach them up and try and flip them for higher draft picks, but I think we wait a year to have a gap after C.J.
Take him late
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
My boy. From my Alma mater. Wouldn't mind bringing him in as the third QB to compete with CJ.

BSU guy here, U of I is a great place had alot of great nights at the pike house lol, don't know anything about this kid but if he's a UDFA love to have a 3rd QB that can run a pro style offense in case of injury.

Odds are he won't be drafted until very late, if at all.

I'd be all for bringing him in and giving him a shot as a developmental QB on the practice squad. Not really crazy about Mullens and Linehan is at least coming out of an offense with several pro style concepts. Linehan's been tutored very well as a passer, has a great lineage with his dad as a former NFL HC and now OC for the Cowboys as well. Would love to see him as a 49er.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Odds are he won't be drafted until very late, if at all.

I'd be all for bringing him in and giving him a shot as a developmental QB on the practice squad. Not really crazy about Mullens and Linehan is at least coming out of an offense with several pro style concepts. Linehan's been tutored very well as a passer, has a great lineage with his dad as a former NFL HC and now OC for the Cowboys as well. Would love to see him as a 49er.

He is starting to gain some steam, but ultimately i think he goes undrafted. Someone might see what shanny did with Beathard and actually draft him.

I would be all for bringing him in as an UDFA for the reasons you said. Dont think we need to spend draft picks on a QB this year however, so if someone falls in love with him and snags him in say the 5th-7th, so be it.
I think kyle will draft a qb almost every year to develop. Linehan could be a priority free agent or a late round grab.
Share 49ersWebzone