There are 177 users in the forums

Mason Cole C Michigan

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
If the Niners don't take Q. Nelson early, Cole would be a great option in the 2nd round. Experienced, versatile OL who could start right away.

2nd round would be too early for him IMO. Great college lineman without any truly elite traits. I think he'll be a very solid player wherever he goes but not a guy who wows you

As far as playing guard, he wouldn't one of my top choices in a draft loaded with high quality guards.

I see your point. I know Cole is definitely not athletic enough to play OT in the NFL, but he would be a good, later round investment as a C/OG swingman. What are your thoughts on Ragnow from Arkansas or B. Price from Ohio St. in the 2nd or 3rd round?

How does he compare to Pat from the Vikes?
I like Cole also but Frank Ragnow Arkansas is also a good option in the 3-4 round range.
Reminds me of Jeremy Newberry
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i do not know much about college football and i believe the big ten is over rated.. that being said. if we are going to beef up the o line. i think we need to look at the big ten first
Cole is flying completely under the radar. I think him playing tackle killed his stock, but he was excellent as a center. He feels like an OL that Shanny that grabs on day 3 and becomes a long-time starter.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i do not know much about college football and i believe the big ten is over rated.. that being said. if we are going to beef up the o line. i think we need to look at the big ten first

1. Big Ten Conference

Best team: Penn State

Worst team: Rutgers

With four teams in the top 10 of this week's Amway Coaches Poll, the Big Ten touts the most impressive top third of any conference in the FBS. After that top four – Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin – comes Iowa, Maryland, Northwestern, Michigan State and Purdue. If not by more than a hair or two above the SEC, this has been the top conference in college football.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/09/26/college-football-conference-rankings-big-ten-sec-acc-big-12-pac-12/700733001/
"Michigan offensive lineman Mason Cole and Michigan State's Brian Allen are among the top-rated centers heading into the NFL Draft, according to ESPN Draft analyst Mel Kiper."

"Kiper released his top-10 rated prospects at each position last month.

Cole and Allen were both All-Big Ten second team this year, but Cole was listed at left tackle. he played his final year for the Wolverines at left tackle after starting at center in 2016. He tied a school record with 51 starts and has said he expects to play center or guard in the NFL. Kiper rates Cole the No. 5 prospect at center, while Allen is No. 9.

MSU center Brian Allen
MSU center Brian Allen (Photo: Dale G. Young, Detroit News)
Allen, like Cole, was voted a captain by his teammates, and made 38 career starts for the Spartans – 17 at center, including every game this past season, 16 at left guard and five at right guard. Allen also was three-time All-Big Ten.

Michigan had two other players make Kiper's list with Khalid Hill at No. 4 among fullbacks and Maurice Hurst, the Wolverines' Most Valuable Player and an All-Big Ten first-team selection, ranked No. 4 among defensive tackles.

Western Michigan was represented with Chukwuma Okorafor ranked No. 5 among offensive tackles, and Darius Phillips at No. 10 among cornerbacks. Central Michigan's Tyler Conklin is No. 8 at tight end."

[email protected]
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/01/10/kiper-ums-cole-msus-allen-top-centers-nfl-draft/109340772/
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jan 12, 2018 at 6:55 PM ]
If the 49ers didn't have Solly and Defo, I'd be living in the Maurice Hurst thread. He's one of my favorite prospects in this entire draft.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I think we have a good C to develop in Magnuson....this position needs to get addressed with an experienced veteran to be the starter.
[ Edited by jcs on Jan 12, 2018 at 7:01 PM ]
"51 games later, Mason Cole exits Michigan as an iron man"

"Cole became the first Michigan player to start at left tackle in the season opener as a true freshman. He hasn't been on the sideline yet. The closest Cole came to missing a start was at Michigan State in 2016, when he didn't practice all week battling the flu. Not even an army could get him off the field at Raymond James Stadium."

"Cole flashes violence in his hands, and squares his shoulders to leverage and control the point of attack," wrote Dane Brugler, one the most respected draft analysts, adding Cole could be the first senior interior lineman drafted."

"All Mason Cole has done is start every single game of his career," Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said. "Mason is a do-it-right guy all the time."

http://www.toledoblade.com/College/2017/12/30/51-games-later-Mason-Cole-exits-Michigan-as-an-iron-man.html
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jan 12, 2018 at 7:07 PM ]

Originally posted by Heroism:
If the 49ers didn't have Solly and Defo, I'd be living in the Maurice Hurst thread. He's one of my favorite prospects in this entire draft.

Trust me, I started the Hurst thread. No love for my boy Mo... They will see though..
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jan 12, 2018 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Trust me, I started the Hurst thread. No love for my boy Mo... They will see though..

It's a very deep class for DT3T and DT1T this year. And Hurst is one of the best
Haven't done a full review of Cole yet, but from what I have seen over the years he is a bonifide stud. I love OL who play at a high level on the outside and kick inside
Originally posted by earlsworld23:
I like Cole also but Frank Ragnow Arkansas is also a good option in the 3-4 round range.

Either guy would be a good pick up. I think both will be 10 yr starters
https://gbmwolverine.com/2017/12/23/michigan-football-mason-cole-huge-opportunity-senior-bowl/

"At the Senior Bowl, Cole will probably get a chance to play both spots. Center may be his future at NFL. He was considered to be one of the top prospects at the position before the season and before he moved to left tackle. So he is still one of the best centers in this class.

However, if Cole can prove he can play tackle too, his NFL draft stock will be that much higher. NFL coaches love versatile offensive lineman. Cole has proven he can play on the edge, but how he handles some of the elite pass-rushing talent at the Senior Bowl could decide his NFL future."
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jan 17, 2018 at 4:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone