LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

C.J. Beathard QB Iowa

Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Worst pick IMO

I just don't understand how people thought he wasn't going to be there for our late 4th rounder.

Shanahan fell in love with him and had to have him.
It's a good thing Shanny isn't in charge of the draft,
hopefully Shanahan doesn't let his emotions determine who he keeps at other positions
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Looking through recent draft history, there are plenty of QB's drafted in the top 100 that did absolutely nothing.

I don't think this pick will set our franchise back like some people here think lol

The point is that he was over drafted, unnecessary to move up. Could have picked a great player at 109 and waited until the end of the 4th to draft Beathard
[ Edited by Vito_Corleone on Apr 29, 2017 at 12:09 AM ]
Okay, I am starting to see where this notion of "noodle arm" is coming from, and it actually doesn't stem from arm strength at all. CJ is inconsistent throwing a tight spiral, so rather than piercing through the air, the ball will wobble along its trajectory like a dying duck.

Very coachable flaw. This is actually something Steve Young talked him having to work on in his "A Football life" episode.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 29, 2017 at 12:11 AM ]
Originally posted by Vito_Corleone:
The point is it was a really stupid and unnecessary move. Could have waited until the end of the 4th

Yeah man we really missed out on that hall of famer in the 7th round
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by vermonator:
Noodle Arm

no.

Don't disrespect Shaun Hill like that. The real #noodlearm
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Yea but fans on this forum say it was a terrible choice so I don't know who to believe. The "fans" or Shanny.

That's a tough one. There is, after all, a copious amount of hall-of-fame keyboard GMs on the web zone.

Originally posted by Ensatsu:
The point is it was a stupid and unnecessary move. Could have waited until the end of the 4th

This one pick is not a big deal, but it's just a waste to overdraft a player when there is a 95% chance you can get him a round later.
Bobby Beathard for example was one of the best at finding good value in his draft picks and not overdrafting players
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
The point is it was a really stupid and unnecessary move. Could have waited until the end of the 4th

It's not that we lost a 7th. It's that we got a guy that was very likely available later and could have had a player that would definitely contribute more to the team in the short and long term (RB, WR, edge rusher, and maybe even an ILB).
Originally posted by Heroism:
Okay, I am starting to see where this notion of "noodle arm" is coming from, and it actually doesn't stem from arm strength at all. CJ is inconsistent throwing a tight spiral, so rather than piercing through the air, the ball will wobble along its trajectory like a dying duck.

Very coachable flaw. This is actually something Steve Young talked him having to work on in his "A Football life" episode.

But the pick sucked and you're wrong? And what does this Steve guy know?

Some posters....ammirite guise?

Steve's quote:

Things got even more embarrassing. I didn't know how to throw a football. Not properly, anyway. I had a decent arm. But no one had ever taught me the mechanics of throwing a spiral. My legs, not my arm, earned me all-state honors as a high school quarterback.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 29, 2017 at 12:21 AM ]

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
It's not that we lost a 7th. It's that we got a guy that was very likely available later and could have had a player that would definitely contribute more to the team in the short and long term (RB, WR, edge rusher, and maybe even an ILB).

They were going to use their 4th round pick on this guy anyway if he was available. Those other position groups weren't even a factor here.

Also this is a long term project QB.

They went defense hard for three freaking top picks. At least spend a little bit of talent for Kyle Shanahans guys. Christ. Its like we actively seek to just suck on offense forever
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Apr 29, 2017 at 12:27 AM ]
The next Tom Brady.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
This was all shannys pick.

John Lynch's opening comments:

"So, wasn't lying to you. Went back in the room and we received a call from Minnesota with an opportunity to move up from 109 to 104 and we had a quarterback that we had grown to really appreciate and we felt like it was, might he have been there at 109? That's what we had to weigh. But, at the end of the day we felt like it was worth it to go to bed knowing that we had a player that we like and want the opportunity to develop at the quarterback position. I'll let [head coach] Kyle [Shanahan] tell you more about C.J. Beathard the quarterback and what we grew to like."

Kyle Shanahan's opening comments:

"We're really excited to get an opportunity to get C.J. You never know when a guy is going to go, especially quarterbacks. Went into this very open minded. Didn't even know if we'd end up getting one today or tomorrow, but we had an idea that C.J. might go in the fourth round and for someone else to approach us and have us move up to the end of the third just for one of our seventh round picks that we've acquired. And, knowing we have nine tomorrow, it's tough using all of those going into tomorrow. We didn't want to hesitate. Go up and get a good player that we believe in. Didn't think it cost a lot in the long run. So, I'm real happy to get C.J. here."

I've liked Beathard for awhile, not quite as much as Peterman.. didn't think he'd go this early, maybe late 4th - early 6th.. but I'm completely okay with it. I trust Shan's judgement. I'm satisfied with the pick.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
The next Tom Brady.

Hope you're right
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
dafuq! is that Kelly from the Bad news bears?

Part Kelly, part Tom Petty (a bald one), part that dude who nutted on Jody Foster from Silence of the Lambs
Share 49ersWebzone