LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 126 users in the forums

Harold Landry Boston College DE/OLB

Originally posted by Heroism:
Sucks that BC has him on a pitch count.

Landry compares more favorably to Derek Barnett.

Others see a better Derek Barnett as well:

He reminds me more of Vic Beasley than Barnett. The Barnett comparison doesn't make much sense to me - Barnett isn't an explosive athlete, but has quick twitch in his upper body and uses his hands very well. He was pretty polished as far as draft prospects go, but may not have an elite ceiling. Landry looks undersized like Beasley and may not be quite as athletic, but he has a very good get-off and can bend. He looks like a speed rusher while Barnett is a technician who wins with hand usage and motor.
The similarities between Landry and Barnett stem from the way they predominantly win: get off, running the arc with hip/ankle flexibility, balance through contact, and a tremendous ability to flatten at the top of the QB's drop. Look at all the clips below.

Holy s**t, look at this bend. Landry looks like Von Miller here.

I've been watching more tape this morning. The way he wins continues to remind me of what I saw in Derek Barnett. He's not particularly twitchy or explosive, but he plays with great pliability and balance. Like Barnett, he has a lot of success with one move(shoulder dip running the hoop).

Again. Same move, same result. His ability to flatten once he's got the corner is his best trait. He's so damn consistent at that.

Freak.

Watched a little Landry this morning. Things that consistently jump off the screen:

• Tremendous get off
  • Balance through contact
  • Ability to flatten and close ( his best ability IMO. Once he's got the corner, it's over.)
  • Hip and ankle flexibility
  • Can rush from both sides, wide or tight.
  • Loose, fluid athlete with "natural leverage"(He'll probably measure out at ~6'2")

His bread and butter from a wide alignment. Runs the arc. Flattens his path right at the top of the qb's drop. Looks like a leo here.

Elite dip and bend. His ability to flatten is top notch. Uses short, choppy steps to take the shortest route to the QB.

His outside rush is so good that it sets this up. Crosses the tackles face and gets skinny thru the B gap.

ER1

[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 17, 2017 at 6:36 PM ]
I think a difference between Landry and Barnett is that Barnett got a lot of his sacks and pressures from timing the snap count (and also drew a number of offsides penalties for it). He starts moving before the LT on a number of his edge pressures which helps make up for his lack of elite burst.

That was one of the negatives for Barnett going into the draft and I haven't really heard that about Landry. The Florida lineman in the 3rd Barnett clip had terrible kick slides throughout the game and is blind in his right eye (#78 David Sharpe). Against Alabama, it looked like Barnett was timing the snap count a few times (19:59, 24:50, and 25:43 where he was called for offsides).

Cons: "Initial quickness based more on timing than burst," Brugler added, "leading to offsides penalties or late movements out of his stance when he misreads the snap."

http://www.cleveland.com/nfl-draft/index.ssf/2017/03/derek_barnett_tennessee_de_nfl.html
Say if we finish outside or right at the 10th spot...

Would yall use two seconds to trade up for this guy? What about a 3rd as well?

If this guy sounds like hell be LEGIT... I hit the trigger and dont look back. Maybe this only happens if we sign Cousins?

Assuming we dont sign Cousins.. Brees is out there still.

Then in the 3rd we take a WR. OL in 4th.

Hopefully sign a proven OL, explore veteran WR and CB market?

I want another pass rusher desperately. Not too far away from having a nasty D.
You can't give up 2 very high second round picks to move up for this guy, imo
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Say if we finish outside or right at the 10th spot...

Would yall use two seconds to trade up for this guy? What about a 3rd as well?

If this guy sounds like hell be LEGIT... I hit the trigger and dont look back. Maybe this only happens if we sign Cousins?

Assuming we dont sign Cousins.. Brees is out there still.

Then in the 3rd we take a WR. OL in 4th.

Hopefully sign a proven OL, explore veteran WR and CB market?

I want another pass rusher desperately. Not too far away from having a nasty D.

Two 2nds is too high. It also depends who's in the top 10 and needs based on those teams. I'll assume a lot of the teams in the 10 will be a QB needy team browns, jets, jags, etc.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
You can't give up 2 very high second round picks to move up for this guy, imo

I agree, he's a good option picking near the top 10 and fills a big need but only a QB would be worth trading up
Where is he at on the big board right now.

Guess trading up and depleting your picks has to come down to spending on a veteran QB,OL,WR.

Guess trading up and depleting your picks has to come down to spending on a veteran QB,OL,WR.

CBS sports has him at #3 but you know how that changes
Originally posted by Alfienator:

CBS sports has him at #3 but you know how that changes

Yeah i feel you. But i can see that happening. First two picks QB, hes the consolation prize at #3 as possibly the best defensive player.

We need another pass rusher to emerge badly. But i suppose we might be in a solid spot for a WR at worst.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Sep 20, 2017 at 5:02 PM ]

We obviously need some help, and this guy might be an option if we go the Kirk Cousins route.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
According to the media he was owned by Notre Dame's LT (who is seen as a 1st round prospect). I didn't see the game, so I wouldn't know.
Originally posted by FL9er:
According to the media he was owned by Notre Dame's LT (who is seen as a 1st round prospect). I didn't see the game, so I wouldn't know.

A lot of ND fans in the media. I think it's more a matter of ND focusing most of their attention on him and running away from him despite having 2 first round prospects on the left side of their line. They also had McGlinchey and Nelson double teaming him for part of the game. I only saw part of the game, but I haven't read anything that suggests McGlinchey owned him.
Watching vs Clemson on their first TD Drive.. he looks Sooo lazy, no energy, no motor, missed 2 tackles. Doesn't chase down plays. He getting stone walled 1 vs 1 against clemsons RT and just stands there, no counter moves or effort. I don't see anything special so far
Originally posted by DJamhour:
Watching vs Clemson on their first TD Drive.. he looks Sooo lazy, no energy, no motor, missed 2 tackles. Doesn't chase down plays. He getting stone walled 1 vs 1 against clemsons RT and just stands there, no counter moves or effort. I don't see anything special so far

Damn.
Share 49ersWebzone