LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Zach Cunningham LB Vandy

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Bunch of teams mid to late first round need ILB's, like Arizona and Oakland. OT, edge rush and ILB seem like needs this year

Cards have Kevin Minter and Deonne Bucannon. C, QB and CB are more pressing needs for them.
Needs to work on his tackling but I'm a fan. Great discipline.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2016/12/17/mcginn-class-running-backs-may-best-draft/95521504/

Junior Zach Cunningham (6-3, 230) of Vanderbilt was compared by one scout to Seattle's K.J. Wright in style of play. "He's a modern inside backer," said another scout. "He's an athlete. He's pretty (expletive) good but it's not even close to Foster.
Cunningham is going to get chased by teams looking to add Beckwith later in the draft, so will Rueben Foster a bit.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Does a decent job leveraging blocks to limit the ball carrier. Reads quickly. Tackling is horrible. Most of his plays are made purely from him putting himself in to great position. Not as good in coverage as Foster. Very high potential since flaws are optimistically coachable (tackling, pass coverage)
Big fan. He's always around the ball and he gets there quick. That's 75% of being an ILB. Love his pursuit.
I like this kid. . but I also liked what I saw from Ray Ray Armstrong before his injury. from what I saw from him I'd say he could be a solid ilb in the league. . I'm torn between we need an ilb and Ray Ray and Bow are good when healthy. .
Camping World Independence Bowl

Teams: NC State vs. Vanderbilt.

When: 5 p.m.

TV: ESPN2.

Who to watch: Vanderbilt linebacker Zach Cunningham is projected to be a first-round pick, and likely the second linebacker selected. Teammate Will Holden (OT) should be a mid-round pick. NC State's Matthew Dayes (RB) and Jack Tocho (CB) are projected as late-round picks.
Not a very good game from anyone on Vanderbilt, Cunningham did very little.
I see this guy being a huge bust in the NFL. The amount of tackles he whiffs on is unbelievable, he plays like his hair is on fire, absolutely flies to the ball but then often times you see him go flying right past the ball carrier as well. In college he's been able to get away with that, in the NFL lacking discipline, technique and awareness will put him on the bench.

Just my 5 cents.

Originally posted by Zachary13White:
I like this kid. . but I also liked what I saw from Ray Ray Armstrong before his injury. from what I saw from him I'd say he could be a solid ilb in the league. . I'm torn between we need an ilb and Ray Ray and Bow are good when healthy. .

I wanna sign Timmons or Zach Brown since our ILBs are coming off injuries. If before FA both players are looking good, going ILB In draft might be better.
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout Asked a scout why Zach Cunningham hasn't declared yet: "We're not in love with him. Needs to gain strength, make more tackles. Rd2-3"

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout I asked, "make more tackles?" Scout: "Yeah he whiffs a lot. Needs to be much more consistent"
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout Asked a scout why Zach Cunningham hasn't declared yet: "We're not in love with him. Needs to gain strength, make more tackles. Rd2-3"

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout I asked, "make more tackles?" Scout: "Yeah he whiffs a lot. Needs to be much more consistent"

He'd be such a stud if he could just hit someone.
After watching a lot of highlights on Cunningham I really believe that he has top tier instincts and a great motor but there is something I just can't dismiss. All of his best plays have one thing in common, he arm tackles everything, he gets to the ball and stops the play but doesn't really hit. He grabs and whips people to the ground constantly. This could prove to be a major issue in the NFL
His speed and instincts can't be taught. Tackling can be coached up. He has some serious potential. He'd be my Deion Jones pick.
Share 49ersWebzone