LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Goff vs Wentz revisited

I figured with Goff staring this week and these guys being 1&2 in the draft, with all the back and forth last year in the zone on choosing one or the other, what do you think happens the rest of the season and in the future?

Personally I liked Goff more, I could've been a big homer and didn't want to get burned by management passing on another Cal qb, but Wentz has a feisty Matt Ryan feel to him.

It's hard to root for Goff now that's he's on the lambs, but I am interested in watching him this weekend and this debate of their careers going forward.
Originally posted by D-Money:
I figured with Goff staring this week and these guys being 1&2 in the draft, with all the back and forth last year in the zone on choosing one or the other, what do you think happens the rest of the season and in the future?

Personally I liked Goff more, I could've been a big homer and didn't want to get burned by management passing on another Cal qb, but Wentz has a feisty Matt Ryan feel to him.

It's hard to root for Goff now that's he's on the lambs, but I am interested in watching him this weekend and this debate of their careers going forward.

Honestly i think Goff looked down right horrible in preseason. seemed like the big stage and all the pressure was getting to him. I think Wentz will be the better pro and Goff will struggle immensely this year
  • fan49
  • Veteran
so glad we didnt waste the pick... i hope we dont do the same thing as goff would have been higher rated this draft then all
Originally posted by fan49:
so glad we didnt waste the pick... i hope we dont do the same thing as goff would have been higher rated this draft then all

Wentz has done well as a rookie, the book is still out on Goff. If both turn out to be franchise quality QBs than the Rams and Eagles would both have made out very well.

No position in the NFL holds as much value as QB does.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by fan49:

Wentz has done well as a rookie, the book is still out on Goff. If both turn out to be franchise quality QBs than the Rams and Eagles would both have made out very well.

No position in the NFL holds as much value as QB does.

True

If we had been able to get Goff as many wanted us to, he'd have been destroyed as a player, IMO, w/the terrible situation we're in.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Goff going #1 makes me seriously wonder about some NFL scouts and what they look for in a QB.

The guy had talent in college but also some pretty obvious red flags (never called a play in a huddle, tiny Trump hands, air raid offense) and yet one team mortgaged the farm to get him and another traded out of the top ten once he was gone.

Wentz at #2 was a risk that paid off. I didn't think he'd be as good as he is. Smart scouting by Philly.
Goff at #1 was a risk that should never have been taken. If the Rams had got him at #15 instead I bet they'd still be pissed.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jasta:
Goff going #1 makes me seriously wonder about some NFL scouts and what they look for in a QB.

The guy had talent in college but also some pretty obvious red flags (never called a play in a huddle, tiny Trump hands, air raid offense) and yet one team mortgaged the farm to get him and another traded out of the top ten once he was gone.

Wentz at #2 was a risk that paid off. I didn't think he'd be as good as he is. Smart scouting by Philly.
Goff at #1 was a risk that should never have been taken. If the Rams had got him at #15 instead I bet they'd still be pissed.
He was on a stacked D2 team that won 5 straight championships it could had been very easy to look better than he was on that team.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
True

If we had been able to get Goff as many wanted us to, he'd have been destroyed as a player, IMO, w/the terrible situation we're in.

Goff would've been much better off on the 49ers and under Chip Kelly. The rams offense is awful and Jeff Fisher is a terrible coach for a young QB coming out of a spread offense. I don't care how he's doing in LA he would've been starting and playing fairly well on this 49ers team.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Guess this could explain his struggles.

Charles Robinson @CharlesRobinson

#Eagles Wentz doesn't see his mechanics as a problem. #NFL personnel evaluators disagree. Here's 1-yr progression, including 2 INTs Sunday.

Would you rather have 1 of the 2 QBs or stay with the pick of Deforest Buckner as of now..?

Originally posted by jersey49er:
Would you rather have 1 of the 2 QBs or stay with the pick of Deforest Buckner as of now..?

I still think Goff would've been perfect for us. Jeff Fisher and that Rams offense is awful for a young QB. Don't know if any of you saw the Pats game but he was getting no help at all. I felt bad for the kid.
Originally posted by genus49:

I still think Goff would've been perfect for us. Jeff Fisher and that Rams offense is awful for a young QB. Don't know if any of you saw the Pats game but he was getting no help at all. I felt bad for the kid.

Yeah my father said the same thing to me.,Goff was getting beat up too..i think its crazy Fisher got an extension..i don't think hes a good coach at all..Goff being drafted by the rams is set up to be a bust..
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
That's the old Joe Theismann and Jay Schroeder release...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Still would rather have Goff or Wentz. But I like the Buckner pick too, gonna like he Buckner pick even more if Garrett becomes a 49er.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Still would rather have Goff or Wentz. But I like the Buckner pick too, gonna like he Buckner pick even more if Garrett becomes a 49er.

that's the truth..Garrett will forces double teams on him and allow Buckner and AA to hopefully dominate 1 on 1s..
Share 49ersWebzone