There are 196 users in the forums

Courtland Sutton WR SMU 6'4 220lbs

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Admittedly I don't know much about prospects, but his description sounds similar DBG, but a bit better

Was gonna say the same
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Boom or bust probs from what i read on his scouting profile. Midwest loves him lol. I dunno... Gonna depend on where he projects to go.

That's impressive movement for a guy his size. I am conflicted about Sutton. Dude clearly has the tools to be an upper echelon WR, but the moments I've watched him, his route running has been s**t. There's little nuance to it and most of the routes I've seen were rounded or half-assed. I loved Corey Davis last year because he had comparable size to Sutton, but most importantly he had the route-running to complement it.

TBH, I am not a fan of these huge WRs that are entirely dependent on their raw abilities. I hated guys like Jon Baldwin and DGB.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 8, 2017 at 8:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

That's impressive movement for a guy his size. I am conflicted about Sutton. Dude clearly has the tools to be an upper echelon WR, but the moments I've watched him, his route running has been s**t. There's little nuance to it and most of the routes I've seen were rounded or half-assed. I loved Corey Davis last year because he had comparable size to Sutton, but most importantly he had the route-running to complement it.

TBH, I am not a fan of these huge WRs that are entirely dependent on their raw abilities. I hated guys like Jon Baldwin and DGB.

Were sure as hell not in a position to gamble... How would you feel if we traded down a lil for your boy Landry..get extra picks then we trade back up in the 20s for say Sutton?
Originally posted by Heroism:

No knock on the program but he's not exactly getting elite level coaching at SMU. The physical talents are evident and by all accounts the kid has a good head on his shoulders so with better coaching I think he can certainly turn into a top tier receiver at this level.
Originally posted by genus49:
No knock on the program but he's not exactly getting elite level coaching at SMU. The physical talents are evident and by all accounts the kid has a good head on his shoulders so with better coaching I think he can certainly turn into a top tier receiver at this level.

Most of the stuff I mentioned is worked on by players on their own time during the offseason. They go to football camps and work privately with gurus.

Corey Davis came out of the MAC.
Y'all already know how I feel about big, flashy college receivers that can't run routes worth a damn.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Y'all already know how I feel about big, flashy college receivers that can't run routes worth a damn.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Inb4 the never going to go away declaration of "no more midget WR's what we need are a bunch of BIG TALL targets"
Originally posted by evil:
Inb4 the never going to go away declaration of "no more midget WR's what we need are a bunch of BIG TALL targets"

Like I've said before.....they don't need big receivers. What they need is big, skilled receivers. If you run routes like Frankenstein, you're not really helping anyone out. The big guys that are excellent route runners tend to be few and far between and you can usually find a guy in the later rounds to strictly be a vertical threat or someone you toss it up to in the endzone.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Before you make a decision on this guy... just watch him between snaps. Watch him line up. Watch him run his routes. Don't take your eyes off of him for an entire drive. I don't think you'll come away impressed.
This guy is gonna be a stud in the league. I think he's better than Mike Williams or Corey Davis coming out. He's spoke of as a high character guy.

I watched the entire game of SMU vs. UCF this past weekend, I saw no issues with him in between plays. He got doubled nearly every play because he is such a threat. In turn, the slot WR getting covered in 1 on 1 with LBs had 180 receiving yards. Sutton also made a crazy sideline grab because he had the instincts to flow with the QB breaking the pocket. At one point SMU got stuffed on the goal line, and the commentators begged the question of why would you not throw it up to Sutton, that's something he's great at.

He's big with speed and he's got great get up and go - burst speed, they throw him smoke screens... 6'3" don't usually have strength, speed, elusiveness, and good hands. He does. I think his route running is solid tbh, no worse than the next guy's that's for sure.

We need a big skilled WR, idk what you guys don't like about him. I see a lot more T.O. in him than I EVER did in Corey Davis and everyone loved that comparison.

There's all kinds of film there. The Baylor game (last link) is more than just his plays, he blocks too. Not sure what I'm not supposed to like about this guys
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:

There's all kinds of film there. The Baylor game (last link) is more than just his plays, he blocks too. Not sure what I'm not supposed to like about this guys

Really poor route running. If you can't recognize the difference, take some time to watch OBJ and Jarvis Landry in college and compare. It becomes pretty obvious. Sutton isn't in the same ballpark as Davis who was an exceptional route runner coming out.

Just because you outrun and outjump people in college doesn't mean you'll be able to do the same in the NFL. In college, especially at SMU, you can pick on slower, smaller defensive backs who will never play another snap of football again.

In the NFL, pretty much every CB was a top end college CB.
They literally rave about his route running in the Baylor video..

I don't think he's a bad route runner, he has a limited route tree. The man's back shoulder route shows how much potential he has with other routes.

He also towers over those guys, 6'4" prospects don't ever run routes as well as 6'1" prospects as a general statement.
Share 49ersWebzone