LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2016 Draft Review

9 of my 11 made the initial 53 man cut, with Jack Allen and Keyarris Garrett getting cut. As good as Garnett may be at guard, I think Sterling Shepard is going to be a special player, and this team needs playmaker at WR. Ditto for RB as Hyde needs a stud backup. Dixon has looked very good this preseason. Bust potential for me: Russell of KC. Made the cut but deep on depth chart. The Chargers are very high on Jatavis Brown. He is a special teams favorite already.

Should be fun to see how this draft shapes up. So far, pretty happy that 9/11 made the big team
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
9 of my 11 made the initial 53 man cut, with Jack Allen and Keyarris Garrett getting cut. As good as Garnett may be at guard, I think Sterling Shepard is going to be a special player, and this team needs playmaker at WR. Ditto for RB as Hyde needs a stud backup. Dixon has looked very good this preseason. Bust potential for me: Russell of KC. Made the cut but deep on depth chart. The Chargers are very high on Jatavis Brown. He is a special teams favorite already.

Should be fun to see how this draft shapes up. So far, pretty happy that 9/11 made the big team

Congrats MD! Dixon has looked great so far!
Sterling Shepard carving up the NFL already. Didn't need to trade up, sacrificing draft choices, and getting a backup guard.

The Niners, to this point, badly missing again
Sterling Shepard carving up the NFL already. Didn't need to trade up, sacrificing draft choices, and getting a backup guard.

Lockett and Shepard have looked as advertised.
How did you generally rate the current receiving group when they came out? It seems like none of them have a great catch radius.

Also, Hyde seems to be off to a slow start. Do you chalk that up to scheme fit or just lack of patience?

o-line >>> WR
A WR is useless if the QB has to run for his life on every passing play.
Originally posted by communist:
o-line >>> WR

I disagree. Talent beats need every time. And, this team has very little talent at WR.
o-line >>> WR

I disagree. Talent beats need every time. And, this team has very little talent at WR.

I have to admit, your board has been very impressive so far, especially Brown.
Originally posted by zonkers:
How did you generally rate the current receiving group when they came out? It seems like none of them have a great catch radius.

Also, Hyde seems to be off to a slow start. Do you chalk that up to scheme fit or just lack of patience?

Ehhh I don't think Hyde has gotten to a slow start. Got to see who we've played. Rams, panthers, Seattle all have top end DLs. He's currently the 11th England overall.

Those stats should go up with lesser DLs and if the qb can actually push the ball downfield.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Buckner - I think in a deep draft class, he is a mid 1st rounder. This year he was a solid pick. But I keep looking at Tunsil being there... I mean let say Buckner is a great player, you still have the risk that you passed up on Tunsil who could be a career starting Tackle and IMO great OT > DE that isn't generating double digit sacks. To me, comparing Buckner will always be looking at how well Tunsil does.

Garnett - Its tough to judge the pick if you are factoring in trades. For example, if you don't do the trade we could have drafted Sterling Sheppard and Christian Westerman (or another guard I liked was Joe Dahl). Looking at the pick right now and factoring in the trade, I think it is pretty mediocre pick, but obviously they see Garnett as the key to inside-zone blocking to drive Kelly's offense. IMO a very need based pick.

Dixon v. Howard -
I thought Howard actually looked like a great fit for Chip's offense scheme and would operate similar to how Blount did for Chip at Oregon

Remember that time I wanted Sheppard and Howard? Oh, great times
Buckner - I think in a deep draft class, he is a mid 1st rounder. This year he was a solid pick. But I keep looking at Tunsil being there... I mean let say Buckner is a great player, you still have the risk that you passed up on Tunsil who could be a career starting Tackle and IMO great OT > DE that isn't generating double digit sacks. To me, comparing Buckner will always be looking at how well Tunsil does.

Garnett - Its tough to judge the pick if you are factoring in trades. For example, if you don't do the trade we could have drafted Sterling Sheppard and Christian Westerman (or another guard I liked was Joe Dahl). Looking at the pick right now and factoring in the trade, I think it is pretty mediocre pick, but obviously they see Garnett as the key to inside-zone blocking to drive Kelly's offense. IMO a very need based pick.

Dixon v. Howard -
I thought Howard actually looked like a great fit for Chip's offense scheme and would operate similar to how Blount did for Chip at Oregon

Remember that time I wanted Sheppard and Howard? Oh, great times

For guy who usually did BPA, he sure stuck to need until the last two rounds.

Originally posted by pdizo916:
I have to admit, your board has been very impressive so far, especially Brown.

The Chargers fans love Brown. Has a chance to be Defensive Rookie of the Year because he is now the starter with Te'o out. So fast!
Originally posted by zonkers:

Here is a copy of my Excel spreadsheet best WR board (top 6) and the position they were drafted:

2016 NFL Draft WR Best Board
Rank Name School Pick
1 Josh Doctson TCU 22
2 Corey Coleman Baylor 15
3 Sterling Shepard Oklahoma 40
4 Michael Thomas Ohio State 47
5 Laquon Treadwell Mississippi 23
6 Will Fuller Notre Dame 21

Answering your question about catch radius, Doctson has a huge one. He has to get healthy to see what the Skins got. Coleman is good, but shaky QB play hurts him. Shepard, who was my draftee, is going to be a star. Chance to be Offensive Rookie of the Year. Thomas off to a good start. Treadwell has been a healthy scratch. Disappointment so far for the Vikes. Fuller off to a good start with the Texans. Of course, the college problem of the dropsies is still around. But, the speed is awesome.

Very early to project, but fun to analyze at this point.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Congrats MD! Dixon has looked great so far!

Dixon is about ready to play (probably next week), and once he does, probably will take over as lead back for the Ravens. They are eager to get him back on the field. Going to be a very good player for them, in my opinion
Here is a copy of my Excel spreadsheet best WR board (top 6) and the position they were drafted:

2016 NFL Draft WR Best Board
Rank Name School Pick
1 Josh Doctson TCU 22
2 Corey Coleman Baylor 15
3 Sterling Shepard Oklahoma 40
4 Michael Thomas Ohio State 47
5 Laquon Treadwell Mississippi 23
6 Will Fuller Notre Dame 21

Answering your question about catch radius, Doctson has a huge one. He has to get healthy to see what the Skins got. Coleman is good, but shaky QB play hurts him. Shepard, who was my draftee, is going to be a star. Chance to be Offensive Rookie of the Year. Thomas off to a good start. Treadwell has been a healthy scratch. Disappointment so far for the Vikes. Fuller off to a good start with the Texans. Of course, the college problem of the dropsies is still around. But, the speed is awesome.

Very early to project, but fun to analyze at this point.

I liked Shepard as well, I don't think he'd look like he currently does with Blaine throwing him the ball and no OBJ across from him...he's in the perfect situation in NY IMHO.

We needed to build those trenches( building blocks of a rebuild) and I willing bet money Garnett starts by the end of the season.

Question for ya who you liking at QB/WR in the draft? We clearly have a need for that-thanks!
o-line >>> WR

Now it does compared to o-line. But pre-FA both parts sucked.
Share 49ersWebzone