LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2016 Draft Review

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Another year came and went quickly, and to wrap up this 2016 NFL draft, I am scribing my yearly review of the team's draft.

Let's go pick by pick, and I will list who I would have selected:
1. DeForest Buckner- A+ grade- The board knows my affinity for Buckner, who I ranked as the 3rd best player in the draft. Equally adept at getting after the passer and playing run support, he is an all-around stud 34 DE. Lining up as a RDE at Oregon, he went through a Murderer's Row of tough competition, with the likes of Stanford's Garnett, Michigan St LT Jack Conklin, ASU's Christian Westerman, Colorado's Nembot, Oregon State's Seumalo, and many other superb college OL. He held up well, posted unreal numbers for a 34 DE, and scored extremely well with Pro Football Focus. An absolute steal at 7.
MadDog pick- DE Buckner

1. Joshua Garnett- B- grade- The Garnett pick nets a decent grade because the kid is a very good football player. A very strong run blocker and adequate pass protector, he played a huge role in Christian McCaffrey having a monster season in 2015. Garnett was my number one pure offensive guard (non-transition) in the draft. The only downgrade is the moving up of 9 slots to gain the pick, and the transition he will supposedly be making to RG because of Z. Beadles. The Niners did not do much in free agency, but one action they did take was securing a RG. How that impacts Garnett's development by playing in a new position for him (he was a RT and LG in college) waits to be seen.
MadDog pick- WR Sterling Shepard

3. Will Redmond- C+ grade- The first of the defensive backs the Niners picked up, Redmond was a good college football player. Plays taller than he is, has good read and react skills, seems to have enough football smarts to get on the field. Slightly thinner than what you want at 182, and coming off an ACL, and with only 7 college starts to his credit, there are a lot of question marks about him, especially since he was unable to work out. To me, there were simply better corners out there, and better players with less question marks on the board.
MadDog pick- CB KeiVarae Russell

4. Rashard Robinson- D grade- Back-to-back secondary players for Baalke, Robinson fits the length that the Niners have drafted recently. Tall with long arms, Robinson is razor thin at 171 pounds. This showed when he was only able to bench 5 times at his Pro Day, so strength is an issue he will have to address. Has been out of playing for nearly a year and a half, and showed little athleticism in his testing, ranking in the 3rd percentile. I just don't see much commitment to football, and that spells trouble in the hyper competitive NFL.
MadDog pick- RB Kenneth Dixon

5. Ronald Blair- A- grade- Blair was a superb small school DL for Appalachian St. My second to last player to complete an evaluation before the draft, Blair is a high motor, hard working, quick defensive lineman that can play across the line. Super low pad level, so he is a challenge to block. Very strong spin move. At 6'2", 284, with 34 " arms, and strong, he seems destined to be a rotational 34 DE, rushing the passer inside on passing downs. I believe he was ill at the combine and did not post good numbers, but rebounded very well at his Pro Day. His SPARQ numbers were outstanding, in the 89th percentile. He will make an impact on this league, and just needs to fit a creative coordinator to put him in the right spot.
MadDog pick- TE Jerell Adams

5. John Theus- C+ grade- I like that Theus is experienced, and has played multiple positions across the OL. He was an award winning SEC lineman. And, yet, at the Senior Bowl week, he was thrashed pretty badly, exposing some severe athletic limitations. His SPARQ score ranked him in the 23rd percentile. So, he is limited to the right tackle position and maybe have to kick inside to guard. Some players have maxed out their abilities in college. I think that matches Theus. I just don't see much upside.
MadDog pick- G/C Christian Westerman

5. Fahn Cooper- B- grade- In my opinion, this was the better of the two picks of the 5th round OL. Cooper played well in relief of Laremy Tunsil at LT in the beginning of 2015, and then slide over effectively as a RT after. Very solid East-West week where he really stood out. Smooth player with pretty good footwork. A swing tackle who is best at RT. I think will be a solid backup in the NFL, but he tested very poorly, ranking 8th percentile in SPARQ, which concerns me at the next level. His All-Star week work against better competition is encouraging.
MadDog pick- ILB/OLB Jatavis Brown

6. Jeff Driskel- A grade- Count me in on Driskell as an excellent value pick here. I believe I graded him as the 5th or 6th best QB in this draft, and see plenty of upside. Very athletic, with a solid arm, and rebounded well at Louisiana Tech after playing at Florida. One of few QBs in this draft I believe have a shot to be an NFL starter. I thought he had a really solid Senior Bowl week, and has regained some momentum. Very good selection in the 6th round.
MadDog pick- WR Keyarris Garrett

6. Kelvin Taylor- D grade- Count me out on Taylor. Great bloodlines, played in the SEC, and scores a lot of TDs (13 in 2015). However, somebody has to explain why he entered the draft. Maybe it is the mileage of three years of running the ball, maybe he is sick of Florida, or maybe he is flunking out. I don't know the reason, but is 4.0 yards per carry should be a big concern for fans. Tested poorly for a 207 pound back- SPARQ 4th percentile, short arms, and small hands. If his name was not Taylor, I doubt he would be drafted. Special teamer
MadDog pick- CB Jonathan Jones

6. Aaron Burbridge- C grade- I have mixed feeling on Burbridge. He played pretty well this year against Big Ten corners, especially making big catches against Eli Apple of OSU and drawing flags. Good football intelligence. Hard-working. No problems motivating to block. Like many of the other draftees of the Niners, scored very low in SPARQ, with a 9th percentile. Add in tiny hands, and a few dropsies along the way, I see a try-hard kid who has wringed out about every ounce of ceiling in his game, but simply can't compete at the next level. Special teamer for sure.
MadDog pick- S Jalen Mills

7. Prince Charles Iworah- B- grade- Straight-line burner who will be a slot corner at the next level. Strong, fiesty, and will compete. Fast riser toward the end of the evaluation process as he had a terrific Pro-Day. Will be a gunner on special teams, and a player to stash on the practice squad. Very good SPARQ score of 70th percentile. Just needs to some time to develop.
MadDog pick- C Jack Allen

In the end, the Niners picked up 6 offensive players: 1 QB, 2 OT's, 1 G, 1 RB, 1 WR; and 5 defensive players: 2 DEs, 3 CBs. While I love the Buckner, Blair and Driskell selection, and am happy to pick up Garnett, I feel that the team lost some real opportunities to pick up some better pieces to improve their roster. This team needs talent, and I just don't think they hit enough to satisfy fans down the road.

Count me in for a B-/C+ grade.

Thanks to all who participated this year in the draft conversation. It was fun to link up to talk about our love of football and the 49ers.

Cheers- MD

I liked the 1st round. The other picks didn't make a lot of sense to me. C grade just because it started out good then was meh.

So let me get this straight. All the work you put into the draft you only got 1 pick right out of 11. That's only a .091 batting avg bro. Most American League pitchers can do that. I hope you see what a giant waste of time all of this was.
[ Edited by SoCold on May 2, 2016 at 12:45 PM ]
Exellent report.
Originally posted by harryj:
https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/cb/

this is what he was reffering to athlethically speaking based off his numers hes bottom 3% of all CB athletically speaking

If I'm reading this right, based on the Sparq scores, the top players at each position are:

QB: David Watford (fa)
RB: Daryl Virgies (fa)
WR: Moritz Boehringer (180)
TE: Seth Devalve (40)
OL: Andrew Zeller (fa)

DL: Justin Zimmer (fa)
Edge: Skyler Suggs (fa)
LB: Darron Lee (20)
CB: Jalen Ramsey (5)
S: Justin Simmons (98)

So, 50% of their top scorers in the 10 position categories weren't drafted by any NFL teams. Sounds like a solid system to use.
Originally posted by ltrain:
If I'm reading this right, based on the Sparq scores, the top players at each position are:

QB: David Watford (fa)
RB: Daryl Virgies (fa)
WR: Moritz Boehringer (180)
TE: Seth Devalve (40)
OL: Andrew Zeller (fa)

DL: Justin Zimmer (fa)
Edge: Skyler Suggs (fa)
LB: Darron Lee (20)
CB: Jalen Ramsey (5)
S: Justin Simmons (98)

So, 50% of their top scorers in the 10 position categories weren't drafted by any NFL teams. Sounds like a solid system to use.

SPARQ is just a measure of a player's athletic ability. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not to determine who the top football players are.

I think it's a cool stat to use just to get that extra bit of information of how athletic a guy is compared to NFL average. But like you're alluding to, it doesn't tell you how good a guy is at playing football. You can use SPARQ in combination with many other variables to make a determination on a player
I can't believe we passed on Kenneth Dixon for a bloody raw CB.

He looked like a perfect fit for our system and an all out baller.

Baltimore picks him right after us
MD, one thing I can't figure out is where you would take a QB, if you were the niners? looks like your draft is based on your board, but specifically with the 6th round pick. Would you still take Garrett over Driskol, even with the importance of the QB position, since you see Driskol as a potential starter?
Originally posted by 49deeznutz:
I can't believe we passed on Kenneth Dixon for a bloody raw CB.

He looked like a perfect fit for our system and an all out baller.

Baltimore picks him right after us

A lot of questionable picks in this draft. Don't know how we pick a fast corner over Keyarris Garrett and pass on Scooby Wright. I'm just gonna trust the guys who have forgotten more knowledge about football then I will ever know.
MadDog - any idea why Bullard slid to the Bears in the 3rd? If I remember correctly, you really liked him in your pre-draft analysis. I was hoping we would have picked him up for depth in the 3rd. Or even Kwiatkowski in the 4th.
I always enjoy reading your draft stuff. Gotta admit I'm never sure if I respect the work you put in or just think you're nuts. Either way I appreciate it and always look forward to what you have to say.
Didn't know that Fred Taylor was Kelvin's pops.

Good read MadDog! I agree, we need talent badly. Baalke selected 2 CBs with relatively high picks when we have a young secondary and SO many needs.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by sacniner:

Good read MadDog! I agree, we need talent badly. Baalke selected 2 CBs with relatively high picks when we have a young secondary and SO many needs.

reportedly Baalke and O'neil dont believe some of those young corners we already have are a fit for Oneil's scheme.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by sacniner:

reportedly Baalke and O'neil dont believe some of those young corners we already have are a fit for Oneil's scheme.

well hopefully this guy is good because it would suck to release a bunch of guys and then fire the DC because he sucks....wasting all the talent.
Excellent!!

I especially agree on not taking Robinson in the 4th and getting RB Ken Dixon.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Oh so this has no base off of game film.

None
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
MD, one thing I can't figure out is where you would take a QB, if you were the niners? looks like your draft is based on your board, but specifically with the 6th round pick. Would you still take Garrett over Driskol, even with the importance of the QB position, since you see Driskol as a potential starter?

Driskell was next on my board. Just stuck to the board in that case. I think Garrett is a surer bet for success than Driskell, but you are right that the QB position hold so much more weight.
Share 49ersWebzone