LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Roberto Aguayo

Are we really arguing about taking a kicker in round 2? Hahaha

This place never amazes me.
Kaimi Fairborn is a better kicker and we can grab him in the 6th or as u UDFA
You can look at it in 2 ways.

High draft pick someone who is going to be around for 15-20 years. with the XP rule change having a good kicker is a must!

Low pick or pass is you think you can get away with it. Plenty of journeymen running around as well. Plenty of needs to be filled. Do we want to sink a pick into a kicker with our s**tty field and the weather issues in our stadium?

I'd be happy to sink a late 4th for a guy you know is going to be great but there is too much risk IMO with our field/weather situation. Pass.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Am I missing something? Why is Aguayo that much better than someone like Ross Martin from Duke? Martin was 4-4 from 50+ while Aguayo was 1-3.
Or Ka'imi Fairbairn who didn't miss from inside 40 yards and his long was 60 yards. Aguayo is super consistent from under 40 but I would much rather have a kicker that could bomb from 55+ and then work on his consistency. He could also compete with Pinion for touchback duty. And it wouldn't take a second round pick to get them.

Ross. Craddock. Fairbairn. All good options that could be taken in the 6th round. All very good kickers in their own right.

Dude you are obviously not getting it. You take a 6th round QB in the first and an UDFA kicker in the 2nd. That is the path to multiple Super Bowls. So easy.
He doesn't have great kicking power but it is good. I wouldn't be upset if we spent our 3rd on him. Players like that can win games and even be a bit lethal; all your team has to do is get 50 yards from touch back and you're garunteed points.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
probably the best kicking prospect to come out since jano, im not sure a team like a niners can risk a third on him though.
S great college Kicker doesn't always equal a great pro Kicker.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stonecold590:
S great college Kicker doesn't always equal a great pro Kicker.

John Lee comes to mind
Originally posted by AUniner:
You can look at it in 2 ways.

High draft pick someone who is going to be around for 15-20 years. with the XP rule change having a good kicker is a must!

Low pick or pass is you think you can get away with it. Plenty of journeymen running around as well. Plenty of needs to be filled. Do we want to sink a pick into a kicker with our s**tty field and the weather issues in our stadium?

I'd be happy to sink a late 4th for a guy you know is going to be great but there is too much risk IMO with our field/weather situation. Pass.

Except you dont know. Great college kickers dont always turn out to be great NFL kickers.
Originally posted by FaTaL:
probably the best kicking prospect to come out since jano, im not sure a team like a niners can risk a third on him though.

And how many guys have been better than Janikowski over the past 16 years? Quite a few, Phil Dawson included.

6TH round pick or no thanks
With all the holes on this team and we draft a Kicker? I would be livid. We have Dawson and Acosta. I think we are OK.
We had 1 Kicker all year who don't d a fine job. Some teams went through multiple. They have that need. We don't.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
With all the holes on this team and we draft a Kicker? I would be livid. We have Dawson and Acosta. I think we are OK.
We had 1 Kicker all year who don't d a fine job. Some teams went through multiple. They have that need. We don't.

Bring in Craddock. If Hayne stays, he has another Aussie to keep him company, if he goes, it gives Aussie fans a reason to linger.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
the difference with Janokowski was that he was not a great kicker in college.. he's not the hafl kicker this guy is..

anyhow, Back to the lesson at hand..
We took a punter with a 5th round pick last year and thus far he's no Ray Guy. I have no problem using a 4th rounder.
Share 49ersWebzone