LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Greg Cosell Said this about the forum Boner

This present front office has proven one thing, it cannot evaluate wide receivers. They go outside the organization every year and bring someone in, Morton Bruce, Moss, Boldin, Torrey Smith to name a few. The Steelers come up with game breakers every few years and when they reach free agency they reload through the draft. I have my doubts if the team picks the third, fourth or fifth best wide-out with the 15th pick. Let them stick to what they do best and pick O-line or D-line in the first round. There will be plenty of wide-outs in the later rounds and we won't blow a high pick.
Originally posted by amosmac28:
Originally posted by Mann716:
Cosell also said that Perriman is a first round prospect. I always felt that way about him. Doesn't get the attention he deserves.

... and I think he's right about Perryman. This guys has all the tools except he's a bit of liability in coverage. Oddly enough, he even looks like Patrick Willis. You can't go wrong with Linebackers from the U. Ray Lewis, Jonathan Vilma, Michael Barrows, Jon Beason, Jessie Armstead (OLB).

I hope SF finds a way to draft him. Even if we trade back in the 1st (which I don't think we will) let's draft him!!!

I was referring to Breshad Perriman. But I do like Denzel Perryman a lot.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
This present front office has proven one thing, it cannot evaluate wide receivers. They go outside the organization every year and bring someone in, Morton Bruce, Moss, Boldin, Torrey Smith to name a few. The Steelers come up with game breakers every few years and when they reach free agency they reload through the draft. I have my doubts if the team picks the third, fourth or fifth best wide-out with the 15th pick. Let them stick to what they do best and pick O-line or D-line in the first round. There will be plenty of wide-outs in the later rounds and we won't blow a high pick.

That's not a fair statement. A large part of having successful evaluations is also the coaching staff. There's a big reason why our defensive players have been very good lately.

Our offensive coaching has been piss poor ESPECIALLY John Morton. That guy had no business being a coach and one of the reasons I have no problem seeing Harbaugh go is because he had no problems with what Morton was doing.

This is the same guy who vouched for Ronald Johnson, supposedly over Doug Baldwin. I'm so glad he's gone so Patton and Ellington have a chance to learn from someone decent.

AJ Jenkins was the biggest whiff but it's pretty hard to see how someone takes to the NFL. The guy was just soft and all that speed did nothing for him.

But really how many receivers has Baalke even drafted?

Ellington - 4th round
Patton - 4th round
Jenkins - 1st round
Johnson - 6th round
Kyle Williams - 6th round

Sure it doesn't look great when the first rounder is a big bust but it's not like he got much of a chance here anyways and EVERY team has drafted a bust at some point. Late 1st round is a tough one to draft in.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Wait so Parker is too slow to get separation at 4.45 and Strong is faster than his tape shows and can be taught to play faster at 4.44?

I think Parker is more of a Brandon Marahall type because Parker is actually a redzone threat unlike Crabtree. Oh well, time will tell. Plus, I wouldn't mind Crabtree who can out jump people in the redzone and with less attitude that is matched up with Torrey smith.

Wait Greg Cosell who looks at tons and tons of film over years and years don`t know what he is talking about? He is pretty much spot-on on His evaluation of football players, and you flynhayn15 look at HOW MUCH film? over how many years?....Now who do you think people are gonna believe an Expert or You who is not an expert film evaluator ?

I do respect Cosell he is good at evaluating prospects. He did also say Sammy Watkins was far an away the best WR last year and was on par with the likes of AJ and Julio. He had OBJ as a low 1st round pick and he said Benjamin was a much better prospect than Evans. OBJ and Evans were 1 and 2 in yards and both had more TDs (12) then Watkins and KB. No one is right all the time if so then make Cosell our GM lol

To compare him to Crabtree is laughable. Parker has a 80 inch wingspan and can actually catch contested one-on-ones... plus he's a great red-zone threat. We all know what Crabtree can do in the red-zone He doesn't have to be a the fastest WR on the field, but be able to win one-on-ones. Mike Evans and AJ Green aren't the fastest WRs on the field, but are great at tracking the ball and beating CBs with there size/length....which Parker has. We all know Kap isn't the most accurate QB and having a WR that has a catch radius like Parker would only make our QB that much better.

Also it's all about value, if he is sitting there at 15 he will more than likely be the BPA. Other mocks have us taking someone like Armstead or Brown who are fine players, but IMO aren't better prospects than Parker.

FYI: as far as speed and down-field catches he is a list of top 5 WRs and avg yard per catch for last year and career:

Amari Cooper: 2014 avg 13.9 career 15.2
Kevin White : 2014 avg 13.3 career 13.6
Jaelen Strong: 2014 avg 14.2 career 14.6
DGB: 2013 avg 15 career 14.7
DaVante Parker: 2014 avg 19.9 career 17.8
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 20, 2015 at 7:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Mann716:
Cosell also said that Perriman is a first round prospect. I always felt that way about him. Doesn't get the attention he deserves.

He is intriguing, I believe his pro-day is the 25th. He does have a real issue with dropping balls though.
So much hate on Crabtree lol
I'm calling it now, (unless injured) he will easily surpass 1,000 yards and I'm thinking 7 TDs
Originally posted by genus49:

That's not a fair statement. A large part of having successful evaluations is also the coaching staff. There's a big reason why our defensive players have been very good lately.

Our offensive coaching has been piss poor ESPECIALLY John Morton. That guy had no business being a coach and one of the reasons I have no problem seeing Harbaugh go is because he had no problems with what Morton was doing.

This is the same guy who vouched for Ronald Johnson, supposedly over Doug Baldwin. I'm so glad he's gone so Patton and Ellington have a chance to learn from someone decent.

AJ Jenkins was the biggest whiff but it's pretty hard to see how someone takes to the NFL. The guy was just soft and all that speed did nothing for him.

But really how many receivers has Baalke even drafted?

Ellington - 4th round
Patton - 4th round
Jenkins - 1st round
Johnson - 6th round
Kyle Williams - 6th round

Sure it doesn't look great when the first rounder is a big bust but it's not like he got much of a chance here anyways and EVERY team has drafted a bust at some point. Late 1st round is a tough one to draft in.

This! I'm tired of people saying Baalke can't evaluate WR. He has drafted 1 in the 1st 3 rounds since being here. Like you said our WR coach was awful and I think we finally have a very good WR coach in Adam Henry
I've never seen Parker as a potential #1 WR. I don't even know that there is a true #1 WR in this draft. Cooper is an excellent prospect, does pretty much everything well but isn't particularly elite in any one area the way guys like Jones and Green were. White has a lot of potential but is very raw in many ways, DGB dominated mostly versus weaker competition in college, its really sort of a crapshoot.

You know what teams like the Steelers do, they actually coach up the guys that they end up acquiring. Absolutely no reason why a guy like Patton or Ellington wouldn't be a contributing player and a future starter for teams like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Seattle...etc. Talent is not really the 49ers issue, developing it is.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 20, 2015 at 8:05 AM ]
Wait Greg Cosell who looks at tons and tons of film over years and years don`t know what he is talking about? He is pretty much spot-on on His evaluation of football players, and you flynhayn15 look at HOW MUCH film? over how many years?....Now who do you think people are gonna believe an Expert or You who is not an expert film evaluator ?
put some expert names on the comparsion

Greg Cosell also said that Randy Gregory is a better prospect then Clowney amongst other ridiculous things. And that Crabtree comp is terrible. They don't play similar at all. Cosell is an X's and I's guy not a talent evaluator, leaning on him to prove your point makes it that much more ridiculous.

Here some experts names for you on the aj green comp: Rob rang and CBS sports, Mel Kiper, Matt Maiocco there Plenty others if you want to do a Google search.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You know what teams like the Steelers do, they actually coach up the guys that they end up acquiring. Absolutely no reason why a guy like Patton or Ellington wouldn't be a contributing player and a future starter for teams like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Seattle...etc. Talent is not really the 49ers issue, developing it is.

Yep you are on point,and now that Morton is gone,we will finally see what Patton and Ellington can really do.I look forward to this Offense to really take off and turn Heads,we have coaches that will be allowed to coach the offense up without uumm ...Stubbornness and Like of adjustment get in the way.
Originally posted by shmuck:
Greg Cosell also said that Randy Gregory is a better prospect then Clowney amongst other ridiculous things. And that Crabtree comp is terrible. They don't play similar at all. Cosell is an X's and I's guy not a talent evaluator, leaning on him to prove your point makes it that much more ridiculous.

Here some experts names for you on the aj green comp: Rob rang and CBS sports, Mel Kiper, Matt Maiocco there Plenty others if you want to do a Google search.

And how has Clowney work out for you this year

Also who should I listen to?YouSmuck who does not look at tons of film,Or a guy that Does for years,after all the film does not lie,ask any GM.
Stop having a Crush for Parker,he`s not all that, if he is having trouble in college with separation what will happen when he goes up against elite coverage in the NFL?
[ Edited by jrouter4949 on Mar 20, 2015 at 8:32 AM ]
Originally posted by shmuck:

LOL Mel Kiper LOL enough said,when was the last time his opinion mattered LOL
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

It helps that Green Bay and Pitt both have great Qb's and run a scheme that is favorable to WRs. I wouldn't include Seattle in that discussion. 27th in passing and not producing a 1,000 yard WR for a couple years....but I get what your saying

I think the real issue with Patton is he really wasn't given a chance because Baalke keeps bringing in old vets to take his snaps, but maybe he thinks Patton isn't a starting caliber wide-out in this league hence he keeps bringing in vets that out play him in training camp.

I'm all for BPA at 15 and if it's Parker I'm all in. If Shelton is there then scoop him up. If Waynes is there I'll take him lol...there should be some good talent there regardless and we need help in multiple spots.
And how has Clowney work out for you this year

Also who should I listen to?YouSmuck who does not look at tons of film,Or a guy that Does for years,after all the film does not lie,ask any GM.
Stop having a Crush for Parker,he`s not all that, if he is having trouble in college with separation what will happen when he goes up against elite coverage in the NFL?

Lol How did Clowney work out this year? Doesn't matter because 1. We're talking about prospects here and 2. He was injured. So that points moot.

Your conveniently ignoring the hundreds of other analysts who have watched tons of film and agree that Parker is a going to be a force and instead focus on one persons opinion. That's what makes this argument so ineffective.

Parkers game isn't separation. He out jumps and out fights CB for the ball. He one of those receivers that are always open because of his ability, even if if the CB is on his hip.

Share 49ersWebzone