There are 149 users in the forums

Why didn't the Niners pick up the best undrafted cornerback?

He has the potential to be the best press corner from this year's draft with his size at 6'3", length with his freakishly long 35 3/8" vine arms, and the athleticism that the Niners covet from a press corner with his boastful 41 inch vertical leap. Plus he's a very hard hitter who doesn't miss tackles because he wrap tackles ball carriers on a regular basis. Although he could add some weight to his light 203lbs frame as a press corner in the NFL, he still has the versatility to back up Eric Reid at free safety because he was very successful playing free safety in college at FAMU and is said to have great football intellegence. Add some weight to his frame and give him DB coach Ed Donatell and I know he would be a star in this league and with us. Tell me what you think?

I don't know why but I watch a lot of Florida A&M football and this guy definitely stood out to me
[ Edited by 9ertillidie on Jul 2, 2014 at 11:22 PM ]
Originally posted by KaeperVICK_7:
He has the potential to be the best press corner from this year's draft with his size at 6'3", length with his freakishly long 35 3/8" vine arms, and the athleticism that the Niners covet from a press corner with his boastful 41 inch vertical leap. Plus he's a very hard hitter who doesn't miss tackles because he wrap tackles ball carriers on a regular basis. Although he could add some weight to his light 203lbs frame as a press corner in the NFL, he still has the versatility to back up Eric Reid at free safety because he was very successful playing free safety in college at FAMU and is said to have great football intellegence. Add some weight to his frame and give him DB coach Ed Donatell and I know he would be a star in this league and with us. Tell me what you think?

There's probably a good reason that months after the draft, no team believes in the guy's ability to make it in the pro's to even give him a look. If Seattle's not giving him a look, especially considering their fetish for big DB's, he likely doesn't have much of a future in the NFL.
Because they know nothing about football.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
40 Yrd Dash Pro Day 4.62

Ain´t happenin with Baalke.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

There's probably a good reason that months after the draft, no team believes in the guy's ability to make it in the pro's to even give him a look. If Seattle's not giving him a look, especially considering their fetish for big DB's, he likely doesn't have much of a future in the NFL.

Actually Seattle is giving him a look, so you're absolutely wrong in saying that their not. Besides, he was one of the first undrafted free agents they picked up when the draft was over, so I don't know why you assumed that no team believes in his ability to give him a look month's after the draft, when he's clearly been in Seattle's Camp this whole time. It's also been reported that he was one of the main standouts from their Rookie Mini-Camp, so to say he likely doesn't have a future in the NFL is totally off base and clear you don't have any clue about this topic at all. This is not to say that you clearly don't have any knowledge about football but is just to say, please do your research if you don't know anything about a topic and you want to reply to a thread. Thank you!
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
....he was one of the first undrafted free agents they picked up when the draft was over....he's clearly been in Seattle's Camp this whole time.

?

To my understanding John Ojo was just a tryout at Seattles rookie mini camp and at no point a member of their roster nor was he picked up as a UDFA by them.

UDFA signings Seattle Seahawks
Dion Bailey, S, USC
Brock Coyle, LB, Montana
Michael Dobson, S, East Carolina
Garry Gilliam, OT, Penn State
Cam Hudson, S, Troy
Jackson Jeffcoat, DE/OLB, Texas
Demonte McAllister, DT, Florida State
Andru Pulu, DT, Eastern Washington
Keith Price, QB, Washington
Adham Talaat, DE, Gallaudet
Zach Zulli, QB, Shippensburg
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014udfa.php

Other tryout players that seemed to have strong performances in camp were CB Thomas Wolfe, RB Demetrius Bronson, S John Ojo, CB Markus Smith and TE Rashaun Allen. If Seattle elects to sign a tryout player, they will have to release a player from their 90-man roster, which is currently maxed out.
http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/articles/seattle-seahawks-289737/rookie-minicamp-wraps-up-for-seahawks-12365595#ixzz327g1yon2

Seattle Seahawks 90 man roster
http://www.seahawks.com/team/roster.html

You have link to all of that KaeperVICK_7 ?
[ Edited by DeUh on Jul 5, 2014 at 1:17 PM ]
SLOW
Actually Seattle is giving him a look, so you're absolutely wrong in saying that their not. Besides, he was one of the first undrafted free agents they picked up when the draft was over, so I don't know why you assumed that no team believes in his ability to give him a look month's after the draft, when he's clearly been in Seattle's Camp this whole time. It's also been reported that he was one of the main standouts from their Rookie Mini-Camp, so to say he likely doesn't have a future in the NFL is totally off base and clear you don't have any clue about this topic at all. This is not to say that you clearly don't have any knowledge about football but is just to say, please do your research if you don't know anything about a topic and you want to reply to a thread. Thank you!

He was never signed as UDFA, so perhaps you should do your research. He was brought in for a tryout, the same as the 49ers brought in Jerry Rice Jr, with no commitment on the part of the team. Ojo is one of 54 rookies that was at the Seahawks mini-camp, 9 draft picks, 9 UDFA's, a few previous practice squad guys and about 20 other guys like Ojo who were longshots at best.

Seattle signed 9 UDFA's as listed below:

DE Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas $15,000

DT Andru Pulu, Washington $15,000

TE Chase Dixon, Central Arkansas, $12,500

OL Garry Gilliam, Penn State, $12,000

QB Keith Price, Washington, $7,000

S Dion Bailey, USC, $5,000

OL Bronson Irwin, Oklahoma, $3,500

LB Brock Coyle, Montana, $3,000

CB Jimmy Legree, South Carolina, $1,000

Any team in the NFL is free to offer him a contract, none have done so thus far.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jul 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM ]

Lol this guy.
Nice first thread dude, keep it up.

Acting like you know more than 32 NFL GM that have all passed on this guy is a quick ticket to having your opinion not taken seriously on these boards.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jul 6, 2014 at 12:28 PM ]

Originally posted by Quest4six:

Lol this guy.
Nice first thread dude, keep it up.

Acting like you know more than 32 NFL GM that have all passed on this guy is a quick ticket to having your opinion not taken seriously on these boards.

This 100%. Couldn't have said it better.
If Ojo was "one of the first undrafted free agents they picked up" then your question of "Why didn't the Niners pick up the best undrafted cornerback?" has already been answered. So either you didn't know what you were talking about in the first post or in your most recent post.
Sorry KaeperVICK7, but Ojo isn't listed in the NFLPA database as having a contract, he was never signed by any team after the draft.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He was never signed as UDFA, so perhaps you should do your research. He was brought in for a tryout, the same as the 49ers brought in Jerry Rice Jr, with no commitment on the part of the team. Ojo is one of 54 rookies that was at the Seahawks mini-camp, 9 draft picks, 9 UDFA's, a few previous practice squad guys and about 20 other guys like Ojo who were longshots at best.

Seattle signed 9 UDFA's as listed below:

DE Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas $15,000

DT Andru Pulu, Washington $15,000

TE Chase Dixon, Central Arkansas, $12,500

OL Garry Gilliam, Penn State, $12,000

QB Keith Price, Washington, $7,000

S Dion Bailey, USC, $5,000

OL Bronson Irwin, Oklahoma, $3,500

LB Brock Coyle, Montana, $3,000

CB Jimmy Legree, South Carolina, $1,000

Any team in the NFL is free to offer him a contract, none have done so thus far.

Who is to say we didnt try?

Not a big deal anyways.
Share 49ersWebzone