LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

MadDog49er's FInal Draft Review and Niners' Draft Grade

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I heard he went up to 275 to play DE and lost way too weight (Adderall) to get down to 249 and suffered. Is this correct? If so, that means his natural weight is somehwre around 260 (he'll get proper nutrition/diet here) so that would make him an ideal developing OLB either at WILL or SAM, correct?

Yeah, he came out of high school at about 250 and clearly put on weight freshman year. If a team drafted Lynch after freshman year, it would have been to play DE. I thought he was a better fit in a 4-3 scheme where he could bulk back up to play DE and he said in interviews he was open to doing either one. I think we may be viewing him as strictly a pass rusher and he will usually have his hand down when on the field probably in nickle and dime packages. I think he is a developmental SAM linebacker and defensive end in sub packages.

Great, thanks for the update to you and OND. 255/260 seems ideal and playing the SAM (he'll learn both spots, I'm sure) primarly and learning to rush from both sides on passing downs sounds about right!
This is going way too far. There are valid concerns that he has the athleticism to stand up and play linebacker in the NFL. Lynch is barely taller than Barr and his arms are only 1/2" longer. The 49ers aren't drafting him for his coverage skills and he will probably never be a 3 down linebacker, so his hand size doesn't really matter. Lynch ran a 4.69 40 at his pro day. Barr ran a 4.41 at his pro day according to this:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=105122&draftyear=2014&genpos=OLB

Barr also out-jumped him in the broad jump by 8" at their respective pro days and is 6 pounds heavier. I like the pick, but Lynch is nowhere near Barr as an athlete. He may have had first round talent 2 years ago, but it's more likely he was overhyped because he played for Notre Dame and had some lucky sacks as a freshman. He never impressed me the way Tuitt did and he's a different prospect at 249 than he was as a freshman at 275. At 249, he is not a first round talent, but he has good upside for a 5th round pick.

What are you even talking about? Barr is 6-5, 255. Lynch is 6-5, currently 255 and trying to get up to 260. Barr did a 9'11" broad jump and Lynch did 9'8" at the combine. Barr ran a 4.56 40 at the combine and Lynch ran a 4.69. Barr's 20 yard shuttle was 2.62 and Lynch's was 2.63. Barr's 10 yard was 1.63 and Lynch's was 1.52. Barr did 15 225lb reps and Lynch did 18.

And not only that, but some scouts are saying that when Lynch is on his game, his read and react skills are superior and Barr's are suspect.

You're acting like there's a huge difference between these guys physically and I don't even begin to see it. There may be one mentally or in motivation, but physically I don't think you can make a case that there is a big difference and actually, Lynch looks like he could be a little quicker. And the bottom line is that Barr was taken #9 overall and Lynch was a fifth rounder!
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i do not have the slightest clue what you mean. i was just trying to make a point

Fair enough. No offense intended, and I hope none taken.

Or another pun...
I also don't think it would be a shock to anyone if Sam (a 7th round pick) was released and put on the practice squad where he can develop. The Rams don't need him right now, but who knows what he can be in a few years.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I also don't think it would be a shock to anyone if Sam (a 7th round pick) was released and put on the practice squad where he can develop. The Rams don't need him right now, but who knows what he can be in a few years.

I think that is actually the most likely scenario.
From Aaron Lynch's conference call:

Question: A lot of your mistakes are documented. What do you see as your mistakes? What mistakes did you make to get to this point?

"Regular mistakes a person at my age makes. Just most mistakes that most people my age make. They weren't mistakes like robbing, things like that. But, they're mistakes that weren't supposed to happen associated with football and I chose to do those things so those things hurt me in the end. But, I'm just happy that my opportunity is finally—I've been waiting my whole life to be drafted. This is my dream and I don't know how to express how I'm feeling right now, it's just amazing. First round, seventh round, it doesn't matter. They picked me up in the fifth and I'm just so excited that somebody took the time out of their time to pick me and take a chance with me."

Question: Is your motivation, is your work ethic and ability to play hard, is it up to the NFL level?

"Yes, sir. I know I have a lot of things to work on when I get there. That's why they have these great coaches that are helping so many of these players become great football players and athletes. And I'm just ready to see what they're going to do with me."
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i do not have the slightest clue what you mean. i was just trying to make a point

Fair enough. No offense intended, and I hope none taken.
bahahahaha. do you really believe what i said??
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Dude gonna get cut and then sue for discrimination.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
they would also be afraid to cut him because of the backlash. fisher is a yes man for the nfl. it was no shock and awe they drafted him. the man sucks vs good teams but whatever,, he and the rams are not my concern
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Dude gonna get cut and then sue for discrimination.
msnbc would sign up to be his attorneys

Originally posted by crake49:
What are you even talking about? Barr is 6-5, 255. Lynch is 6-5, currently 255 and trying to get up to 260. Barr did a 9'11" broad jump and Lynch did 9'8" at the combine. Barr ran a 4.56 40 at the combine and Lynch ran a 4.69. Barr's 20 yard shuttle was 2.62 and Lynch's was 2.63. Barr's 10 yard was 1.63 and Lynch's was 1.52. Barr did 15 225lb reps and Lynch did 18.

And not only that, but some scouts are saying that when Lynch is on his game, his read and react skills are superior and Barr's are suspect.

You're acting like there's a huge difference between these guys physically and I don't even begin to see it. There may be one mentally or in motivation, but physically I don't think you can make a case that there is a big difference and actually, Lynch looks like he could be a little quicker. And the bottom line is that Barr was taken #9 overall and Lynch was a fifth rounder!

Those are Lynch's numbers from his pro day. Barr had a slow 40 at the combine and crushed his 40 when he ran again on his pro day and jumped 10'5 in the broad jump. He is significantly faster, quicker, and more explosive than Lynch. Lynch barely beat him on the bench at the combine (18 to 15 reps), but Barr chose to bench press again at his pro day and increased to 19 reps. Lynch's pro day numbers aren't even close to Barr's. Lynch had a fast 10 yard split because pro day starts are hand timed and combine starts are electronically timed. Lynch also ran slow shuttle and 3 cone times (4.61 and 7.46). The bottom line is Barr is in another category as far as athleticism goes so this comparison makes very little sense.

Barr's combine and pro day numbers:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=105122&draftyear=2014&genpos=OLB

Lynch's combine and pro day numbers:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=119369&draftyear=2014&genpos=DE
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on May 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM ]
Nice review MadDog49er!
This is going way too far. There are valid concerns that he has the athleticism to stand up and play linebacker in the NFL. Lynch is barely taller than Barr and his arms are only 1/2" longer. The 49ers aren't drafting him for his coverage skills and he will probably never be a 3 down linebacker, so his hand size doesn't really matter. Lynch ran a 4.69 40 at his pro day. Barr ran a 4.41 at his pro day according to this:

Barr also out-jumped him in the broad jump by 8" at their respective pro days and is 6 pounds heavier. I like the pick, but Lynch is nowhere near Barr as an athlete. He may have had first round talent 2 years ago, but it's more likely he was overhyped because he played for Notre Dame and had some lucky sacks as a freshman. He never impressed me the way Tuitt did and he's a different prospect at 249 than he was as a freshman at 275. At 249, he is not a first round talent, but he has good upside for a 5th round pick.

Eastcoast, Barr showed me very little at UCLA to be worthy of the #9 overall pick.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Thanks!
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Eastcoast, Barr showed me very little at UCLA to be worthy of the #9 overall pick.

I'm not arguing that Barr was worth that high of a pick, but there is a huge difference between Barr and Lynch whether you look at stats, measurables, or tape (Barr's tape doesn't match his production or draft position - he is still raw and his instincts need work, but his athleticism shows in games). Barr plays hard which isn't always the case with Lynch.
Share 49ersWebzone