LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

MadDog49er's FInal Draft Review and Niners' Draft Grade

Originally posted by buck:
Since I am not giving a grade to the draft, I will not speak to the grade being giving.

In my estimation, the pick of Lynch in the fifth round was a risky pick. But, it seems that the team did the required due diligence and if we consider the fact that the team had sources with direct knowledge of Lynch that they knew and trusted, I would say that the team went beyond the required due diligence.

They took a risk on a fifth round pick. There is no need to rush to judgment. We will see, sooner or later, if they made a good call--and that pertains to the entire draft.

For me the picking of Sam by the Rams has no particular importance.

I have absolutely no insight as to their motives for picked Sam, but barring some evidence to the contrary, and speculation does not constitute evidence, I have no choice but to think that drafting Sam was a legitimate football decision.

Could be right on Sam. I just think the league wanted to do something to not appear homophobic. I could be entirely wrong. I just don't buy that he was a legit prospect since this offseason.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Maddog you take a lot of crap from the board because you have a strong opinion, it's nice to hear a good review of the niners draft way to nail the first three. You put in the most time on the forum for this, and we all enjoy it. GREAT JOB!!

That being said.....I think Lynch has potential, he's a guy that was a high round talent. He played last year undersized from the Adderall. Yes, he could be a bust, but it's a 5th round pick that we had two.

Can't wait to see Ward, Martin, Hyde and Ellington in action.

Lot to look forward to next year. Preseason should be more enjoyable to watch than normal.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Sadly, I agree with you.

Here's a rhetorical question for ya... who is head of the NFL Competition Committee and has close ties to Roger Goodell and the league office?

Why that'd be St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher.

Can look at this two ways: Either the conspiracy theorists, like me, smell something rotten, and it is a legit. Or, I am wrong, and Fischer feels he was draft worthy and his team can work Sam into the NFL without issue.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Thanks for all your work analyzing these drafts for us, I know it's something I couldn't do for sure. Another thing that struck me is how much that Seahawks loss seemed to guide the 49ers moving forward.

Case in point:

- 49ers couldn't stop the deep pass <-- 49ers select J.Ward.
- 49ers lost Bowman and Seattle starts running successfully. <-- 49ers select Borland.
- 49ers lost Iupati and the run game, the entire offense really, fell off a cliff. <-- 49ers select 2 interior lineman.
- 49ers receivers can't get open. <-- S.Johnson, B.Lloyd, B.Ellington.

I could be way out to lunch here but the hindsight seems 20/20 now for me.

The analysis makes a lot of sense. Teams will change rosters, make selections, etc. based on matchup issues they will face in the future. Look at what the AFC South did after JJ Watt blew them apart two years ago. The Titans last year drafted a guard in the first round (Warmack), threw down a ton of money to secure one of highest free agent players in the NFL in Adam Levitre, then drafted Tyler Lewan this year. They have to stop Watt if they want to win, and adding Clowney makes it even more challenging. The Colts picked up Gosder Cherilus in free agency, Lance Louis in free agency, Donald Thomas in free agency, draft Hugh Thorton, draft Khalil Hughes. The Jags spent their first rounder in 2013 on Joeckel. Teams make these adjustments to rosters regularly.
Originally posted by communist:
Why should they pick a WR, regardless of his talent, in a wr-heavy draft when they need a franchise QB badly? I don't get your critique at all, to be honest. Just spend a look at Gordon or Megatron respectively (btw, dont forget where Gordon was picked):
do they win games for their teams on a constant basis? NO.

On the other hand, I hear you about the pass-rush deficiency. Still, I would have done (almost) the same. Perhaps they wanted to trade down but no one wanted to trade up. Other possibility: Bortles was THEIR guy and they didn't want to lose him.

To be honest, I am a big supporter of reaching for QBs.

BTW, the Jags drafted Lee and Robinson. And they added some DEs to their roster during FA.

THIS. I don't get the celebration by some people either.

Still, a 5th-rounder. And as you stated, your favorite prospect went undrafted.
I assume that Lynch would have been picked by the Bengals anyway.

Weeks ago, I wanted to pick Coleman even earlier. He seems to be an almost prototypical 34-DE though according to scouting reports, he is rather a run-stuffing than pass-rushing DE. Ramsey, according to nfl.com, possesses more athletic talent so that there is a chance that he could serve as #3 RDE.

Good arguments across the board.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Since I am not giving a grade to the draft, I will not speak to the grade being giving.

In my estimation, the pick of Lynch in the fifth round was a risky pick. But, it seems that the team did the required due diligence and if we consider the fact that the team had sources with direct knowledge of Lynch that they knew and trusted, I would say that the team went beyond the required due diligence.

They took a risk on a fifth round pick. There is no need to rush to judgment. We will see, sooner or later, if they made a good call--and that pertains to the entire draft.

I have absolutely no insight as to their motives for picked Sam, but barring some evidence to the contrary, and speculation does not constitute evidence, I have no choice but to think that drafting Sam was a legitimate football decision.

Could be right on Sam. I just think the league wanted to do something to not appear homophobic. I could be entirely wrong. I just don't buy that he was a legit prospect since this offseason.

what a joke of a statement

Yeah Roger Goodell made the rams take him cause he was gay
lol WAT

Maybe if he was taken in the first 3 rounds you would have some kind of point but the dude was drafted 8th from last.

The rams had 4 picks in the 7th round
His ESPN draft grade was 43 (26 other players were selected in Rnd 7 with a lower grade)
16 players with a lower draft grade were taken in Rnd 6

He was projected in rounds 3-4 before his poor showing at the combine and dropped

If the rams didn't take him he would have singed with another team after the draft
If the rams think they can get him into shape he has potential

If he doesn't put in the effort needed in the nfl he will be cut like any other 7th rounder that didn't pan out.
The drafting of Sam was definitely orchestrated by the NFL. Did anyone really think that ESPN was going to have a live camera on Sam and he go undrafted? The kiss with his lover was also orchestrated. The NFL has an agenda and they orchestrate alot of the outcomes of big games. Do I think the NFL tells the officials to make bad calls on certain teams no but I think they tell the officials to let certain things go(physical play by Seattle's DB's).
Originally posted by SoCold:

what a joke of a statement

Yeah Roger Goodell made the rams take him cause he was gay
lol WAT

Maybe if he was taken in the first 3 rounds you would have some kind of point but the dude was drafted 8th from last.

The rams had 4 picks in the 7th round
His ESPN draft grade was 43 (26 other players were selected in Rnd 7 with a lower grade)
16 players with a lower draft grade were taken in Rnd 6

He was projected in rounds 3-4 before his poor showing at the combine and dropped

If the rams didn't take him he would have singed with another team after the draft
If the rams think they can get him into shape he has potential

If he doesn't put in the effort needed in the nfl he will be cut like any other 7th rounder that didn't pan out.

Nonetheless, it is an exceptional PR move by the St.Louis Rams. I do hope Michael Sam pans out at the pro level.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
The drafting of Sam was definitely orchestrated by the NFL. Did anyone really think that ESPN was going to have a live camera on Sam and he go undrafted? The kiss with his lover was also orchestrated. The NFL has an agenda and they orchestrate alot of the outcomes of big games. Do I think the NFL tells the officials to make bad calls on certain teams no but I think they tell the officials to let certain things go(physical play by Seattle's DB's).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349452/article/st-louis-rams-draft-michael-sam-make-nfl-history

then this is also all made up and you should prob stop watching the WWENFL
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by znk916:
Bruce Ellington: A+
The battle is on between him and Patton to step up as our long term 3rd WR and possible starter. With such a deep WR draft, Baalke played it perfectly to land him at 106.
For now, Ellington could be a slot-WR and returner only whereas Patton can be lined up on the outside too. I think that Patton could emerge to a very good #2-WR in 2015.

Ramsey: F
I don't see how this guy has any future in the league. He's old and injury prone. Unless Tomsula personally requested this pick, it was wasted, even for a 7th rounder lol.
Let's say, he needs about 2 years to be at least an effective backup. Then, he will be 27. Barring serious injuries, he could be good for about 5-7 years then.
Otherwise, it is still a 7th-rounder, who cares?

Can I do takebacks? lol

I think I was too inspired by MadDog's harsh grading when I trashed Ramsey. The guy clearly does have some physical talent and DL typically can play into their mid-30s without dropping off a cliff. I just find it hard to believe he will somehow stay healthy enough to be a long-term contributor. Playing in the trenches is not for the fragile.

I gave Lynch a D, but honestly I think he was worth the risk in the 5th round even if I doubt he will ever get his head on straight. At that point, go big or go home, right?

Frankly I'm more curious about UDFA Breslin. 17.5 sacks in 18 games is quite the production plus another 28 sacks over two years in juco? MadDog u got more info on this guy? Seems like a natural pass rusher.

Good analysis. Really enjoy reading your posts.

Disgree with you about the Browns though. I'm not much of a JFF fan but i do think he will be good and to me they seemed to stick by there board as much as they could. They might not have had WRs ranked that high, like us, even though it was viewed as a need so i have no fault with who they selected.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
And now Brooks is one of the best players at his position in the league. Your point was?

You were critiquing my analysis of Brooks at that time when the rest of the league, who you classified as "in the know" felt the same exact way. If he was such a hot commodity back then, everyone would have put a waiver claim on him, which they didn't.

I think Amp is pointing out that your extremely harsh criticism of Brooks went on long after he became a Niner.

It did take time for Brooks to prove himself, and he may still have some personal demons to keep at bay, but he's been a terrific OLB and a key part of the defense these past three years.

So I think Amp's point has some merit--you do have a tendency to be overly harsh when you label a player based on their past actions(what you said about both Brooks and Boone comes to mind).

If you're saying that a person's past should not be ignored, and that they should not be trusted until they show, by their actions, that they have reformed, that seems reasonable.

Its helpful to keep in mind that sometimes people are able to reform--Boone and Brooks again--and so perhaps Lynch should not be completely condemned, ignored, and/or passed over in the draft.

Some skepticism about the selection may be merited, but Baalke's and Harbaugh's willingness to take a risk on Lynch in the 5th round--given his first round talent--does not seem to be a complete "fail." They did their due diligence,recognize the risk, and have openly acknowledged it.

To the extent that your harsh criticism of Lynch signals that Lynch has had some serious problems--even if he's never been in trouble with the law--serves as a helpful warning to Niner fans that perhaps we should not get too excited about him just yet. Duly noted.

BTW, I don't know if you listened to Lynch's post selection media interview, but he came across as polite, humble, cognizant of his past problems and anxious to overcome them. Maybe just a small step, but a step in the right direction. IMHO.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
yeah don't understand the other points on the QB's and the Browns

if a QB is your #1 what does it matter what slot he was taken
if a team likes one guy over another they going to take him if they need a QB
Jax got who they wanted

said on NFL radio that the browns coaches found out about Gordon on Friday

Browns sold around 3k season tickets in the 24 hours after Johnny football was drafted
If Ramsey didn't have injury concerns, what round would he have been graded at? My guess is they are taking the risk that his injuries were a series of bad luck and flukes. Seems to be a variation of their value philosophy.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Maybe the Niners can find someone to do an exorcism on Lynch. Just sayin.......

Maybe they can hire Mike Singletary to come back to the team and take his pants down

Sing should quit coaching and become a consultant to turn high potential players who are train wreaks around.

In the NFL he's make a fortune1
Share 49ersWebzone