LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers Entire Draft & UDFA Signings!

Grade the 49ers Entire Draft & UDFA Signings!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
we sure are going to make other teams better when we have to cut some quality players. stupid 53 man limit rule
Love the draft AND getting Skov [sp?] for nothing!
Originally posted by cciowa:
we sure are going to make other teams better when we have to cut some quality players. stupid 53 man limit rule

Baake gonna go Tonya Harding mode and start whacking people.

"49ERS have 10 guys on the IR this season."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Baake gonna go Tonya Harding mode and start whacking people.

"49ERS have 10 guys on the IR this season."
damn she was hot back in the day, in my opinion. in regards to your last bullet point, that is if you are not spitting up about me and tonya baby,,, i like how we are very forward thinking and making sure we are built for the future.. Now i know that runs contrary to those who say you have to shoot your load in free agency and trade everyone to get a sexy name in the draft so you can win one super bowl and not worry about the future AFTER ALL IT WORKED IN 94!

The only thing dumber than the 53-man rule is the 46-man "active" roster on game days. WTF??? You have 53 guys on a roster of one of the most violent sports in modern history, but you're going to force teams to "sit" 7 of those 53 guys every game JUST BECAUSE???

You have 53 men on a roster. Here's an idea: Just allow all 53 to be active on game day.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The only thing dumber than the 53-man rule is the 46-man "active" roster on game days. WTF??? You have 53 guys on a roster of one of the most violent sports in modern history, but you're going to force teams to "sit" 7 of those 53 guys every game JUST BECAUSE???

You have 53 men on a roster. Here's an idea: Just allow all 53 to be active on game day.

If the NFL really cared about making the game better, they'd focus on s**t like that instead of worrying about taunting or guys saying the "n" word out on the field.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I can only give this draft a B+ at best, and that's because I personally think that these players are a year or two away from contributing.
The pickin of Ward kinda throws me off. First of all, the guy is a natural FS, a very athletic FS even, but can he play CB?? is that the plan?? if so, then why didn't just take Jason Varrett???

Sure it's a good draft, every player has a chance to stick w/ that team.. I like the drafting of Hyde because he's an insurance to the RB position. Gore is old and done, Lattimore of course is a question mark.. Both LeMichael and Hunter are nothing but a backup, and this is why Hyde was a good pick in my opinion.

The OLs we drafted, personally, I liked both of them. But they too, are insurance to Kilgore (center) and free agent to be (Iuapti).. Both are very good players in my opinion and we're lucky to have them..

Was Ellington a better pick than Clemson's Bryant?? or did we pick Ellington to be that returner, and if that's the case, is he a better player/returner than the REAL Black Mamba (D'Anthony Thomas)??

As good as ILB Borland is, does he fit in out system?? is his excellent instict better than both Moody and Willhoite as a player?? Will he be the next Zack Thomas or Keith DeLong??
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
B, Good to great backups, no significant improvement over last year's starters.

lol the draft isnt about upgrading starters immediately, unless youre terrible.

We wouldve needed some early 1st round picks to upgrade starters.

The OP referred to free agency and the draft. But to say drafting starters is only for terrible teams is an excuse. Harbaugh's motto is if you're not improving everyday, your getting worse.

I gave a "B" to the off-season, reflecting that getting starters is difficult but not impossible for a stacked team. A stacked team can afford to use a starter (like Ray McDonald) from the previous year in trade (along with its 11 selections). Watkins would have made a difference that all the other picks most probably will not come as close in ensuring.

I'm most discouraged that the FO has reasserted the team's offense will be principally a power running team. This has obvious advantages and high success. But it is also limiting. There will be games when the run game will not be enough. When the team will need to put up high scores. Without the personnel or the reps in practice and games, high scores will be less easy to attain. Also, power run games often make for smaller margins of victory, lending to freak plays causing losses.

Yeah, a "B."
Grades at this stage are pointless...we won't know the real value of this draft for 2-3 years. A grade for potential is somewhat feasible, but even then 'til they put the pads on and get after it, it's mere speculation based on what they did in college. As we all know, the NFL is a whole new deal. I liked what Baalke did...players like Jimmie Ward, Carlos Hyde, Marcus Martin, Chris Borland, Bruce Ellington, Dontae Johnson should bring a lot of talent to the team. Red-shirters like Brandon Thomas, Keith Reaser and Trey Millard can give the team a shot in the arm in 2015. Anxious to see what Fangio/Leavitt can do with Lynch...dude's got plenty of talent.
Originally posted by 9moon:
I can only give this draft a B+ at best, and that's because I personally think that these players are a year or two away from contributing.
The pickin of Ward kinda throws me off. First of all, the guy is a natural FS, a very athletic FS even, but can he play CB?? is that the plan?? if so, then why didn't just take Jason Varrett???

Because Ward has played FS, SS and CB at Northern Illinois. He projects very well in the slot and some like Mayock see him being a better CB than safety. I guess the difference is that while Ward has similar athleticism, he's more versatile than Verrett and a much more physical tackler/hitter.

The league tabled a change to the inactive list for some games:

1. Raise the number of active players on game day from 46 to 49 for regular-season games played on a day other than Sunday or Monday, excluding Week One. TABLED
You also have to add to this "draft class":

1.) Blaine Gabbert, backup QB
2.) Jonathan Martin, backup OT
3.) Stevie Johnson, WR
4.) Marcus Lattimore, RB (redshirt last year)
5.) Tank Carradine, DE (redshirt last year)
6.) Quinton Dial, DE/OLB (pretty much redshirted)

7.) Jimmie Ward, CB/S
8.) Carlos Hyde, RB
9.) Marcus Martin, C
10.) Chris Borland, ILB
11.) Brandon Thomas, OL
12.) Bruce Ellington, WR/ST
13.) Dontae Johnson, CB
14.) Aaron Lynch, DE/OLB
15.) Keith Reaser, CB
16.) Kenneth Acker, CB
17.) Kaleb Ramsey, DL
18.) Trey Millard, FB/HB

Eighteen new players to compete for spots on this roster. Eighteen! This can only help the Niners get better. That's not even counting our UDFA class. Skov and Breslin will make that group interesting at the minimum.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on May 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Because Ward has played FS, SS and CB at Northern Illinois. He projects very well in the slot and some like Mayock see him being a better CB than safety. I guess the difference is that while Ward has similar athleticism, he's more versatile than Verrett and a much more physical tackler/hitter.

The interesting thing here also is that of the two (Ward and Verrett), I'd bet good money that Ward (even as a safety) has way more experience playing in the slot than Verrett. That doesn't necessarily make Ward a better prospect, because Verrett definitely has the skills to be a highly effective nickel corner. But from what I've seen, JV mostly played on the outside (which really is a different animal) whereas Ward played a ton of slot WRs in that defense.
Even the biggest Cardinals homers on Earth are giving the 49ers props for their draft.

http://www.arizonasports.com/?sid=&nid=244&a=304837

Start at the 28:50 mark.

EDIT-Fixed link, had the wrong hour up before.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone