LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Carlos Hyde

Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
If I'm doing my math right, essentially the Alex Smith trade netted us Tank Carradine and Carlos Hyde. Plus the Titans 3rd rounder this season since we traded down last season and the Broncos 4th next season, we also gave up a 7th this year.

So Alex Smith and a 7th for Tank Carradine, Carlos Hyde, a 3rd and a 4th (next year).

I prefer to think of it as Alex Smith and a 7th for Tank, Hyde, Johnson, and a 3rd next year.
If lattimore ends up coming back at 100% and Hyde can produce this will only empower harbs to stay in his play calling shell.
Some of you "fans" are really something...unless I'm missing something, the two best teams in the NFL are us and Seattle...and lo and behold we both pound the ball and play great defense. Gore's in the last yr of his contract and probably in his last season as a Niner. Hunter's in the last year of his contract. So, what does Baalke do...he picks one of the top RB's in the draft in Hyde. One of the top C's (w/2 yrs of OG) at USC to give Kilgore a run for his money for the starting C job. He picks a potential starting OT for 2015 in Brandon Thomas. Harbaugh likes to pound opponents into submission. Last year, Kap struggled to keep the passing game afloat with very little beyond Boldin and Vernon, 'til Crabtree came back late. So, what does he do...he signs Lloyd and today trades for Stevie Johnson. He'll probably draft a WR...I'm thinking a smaller baller like Ellington to give Kap a real threat from the slot position. If you don't like Harbaugh's offense, root for another team. That's who he is...he did the same thing at Stanford. With a spike in quality WR's, Kap should propel the offense well beyond what he did last year. So, I ask you what's the problem?
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Some of you "fans" are really something...unless I'm missing something, the two best teams in the NFL are us and Seattle...and lo and behold we both pound the ball and play great defense. Gore's in the last yr of his contract and probably in his last season as a Niner. Hunter's in the last year of his contract. So, what does Baalke do...he picks one of the top RB's in the draft in Hyde. One of the top C's (w/2 yrs of OG) at USC to give Kilgore a run for his money for the starting C job. He picks a potential starting OT for 2015 in Brandon Thomas. Harbaugh likes to pound opponents into submission. Last year, Kap struggled to keep the passing game afloat with very little beyond Boldin and Vernon, 'til Crabtree came back late. So, what does he do...he signs Lloyd and today trades for Stevie Johnson. He'll probably draft a WR...I'm thinking a smaller baller like Ellington to give Kap a real threat from the slot position. If you don't like Harbaugh's offense, root for another team. That's who he is...he did the same thing at Stanford. With a spike in quality WR's, Kap should propel the offense well beyond what he did last year. So, I ask you what's the problem?

The problem is we have been so close the last 3 years and we all are going effing insane.

The only problem I have is drafting a back up/future RB with so much WR and CB talent available at the same spot, both of which are significantly higher needs. Top RBs are being drafted late 1 to mid 2 now and are virtually plug and play. Getting Gore's replacement next year makes alot more sense especially since we have Lattimore coming back this season. Jordan Mathews and Cody Lattimer would have fit well, provided insurance in case of injury and potentially develop into a #1 if Crabs walks. I would also point out that the Eagles and Broncos, the latter being more in need of a RB than we were, both went WR. The Broncos even used our pick to do it!

Drafting a red shirt OT is ok as long as he projects as a guard at the NFL level. Staley and Davis are both signed long term, Boone provides swing insurance and we drafted Marqaurdt last year as a red shirt OT option. Iupati is a free agent and not likely to be back. Same for Schnieder. Yes OG can be drafted later but why not make a pick with more need (CB/WR/DL depth)? Doesn't make sense.

Personally I think this draft smacks more of Baalke's inability to grade the WR and CB position than anything else. Hopefully next year he's humble enough to get some help in that area.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
The problem is we have been so close the last 3 years and we all are going effing insane.

No. This place has always been insane. Even when we weren't close.
Originally posted by Mookster:

The only problem I have is drafting a back up/future RB with so much WR and CB talent available at the same spot, both of which are significantly higher needs. Top RBs are being drafted late 1 to mid 2 now and are virtually plug and play. Getting Gore's replacement next year makes alot more sense especially since we have Lattimore coming back this season. Jordan Mathews and Cody Lattimer would have fit well, provided insurance in case of injury and potentially develop into a #1 if Crabs walks. I would also point out that the Eagles and Broncos, the latter being more in need of a RB than we were, both went WR. The Broncos even used our pick to do it!

Drafting a red shirt OT is ok as long as he projects as a guard at the NFL level. Staley and Davis are both signed long term, Boone provides swing insurance and we drafted Marqaurdt last year as a red shirt OT option. Iupati is a free agent and not likely to be back. Same for Schnieder. Yes OG can be drafted later but why not make a pick with more need (CB/WR/DL depth)? Doesn't make sense.

Personally I think this draft smacks more of Baalke's inability to grade the WR and CB position than anything else. Hopefully next year he's humble enough to get some help in that area.

HUH? Thats one of the more potato comments i have read here today. Congrats. Even if you had an argument for WR, which you dont, Baalkie is one of the best in the league when it comes to scouting for the secondary. He has made one bad pick in the secondary, and that was likely a Singletary pick.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

No. This place has always been insane. Even when we weren't close.

This lol. It's actually a lot better now.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
With Kony Ealy still available? This was a bad pick. Welcome to 2014 where Pass Rushers > Running Backs. Sure Gore is getting older. Yep, we don't know how well Lattimore will hold up. Hunter has been good, but may be gone next year. We have all year to find out what we have in Lattimore, to see what we need to plan for NEXT year. We already wasted a 2nd round pick last year on LMJ, now turn around and do it again.

how was this a bad pick? the reasoning behind this pick is right here in your trashing of it!!! in any sport you draft BPA. thats how you maintain success.
One thing Hyde excelled at was serving as a lead blocker for some of Braxton Miller's big runs. Not saying we wanna expose Kap like that on the regular but we do run him.

• Taco
  • Veteran
This 9ers draft has been wild to say the least but thus far they have secured our slot corner that could be our safety of the future along reid, a good center prospect, one of the top rb prospects a real bruiser who will grind out first downs, bargaining power against or ilupati's replacement, and a proven receiver in Stevie Johnson. We can still grab a big outside cb in desir tomorrow and have the luxury to redshirt Aaron Colvin if Balke chooses. Hell they could still trade picks for next year to give us bargaining power in a draft that wont be so deep.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Absolutely love this guy. Best RB in this draft and will be a stud in the NFL. Very similar to Eddie George.

But I will punch a baby if the Niners draft him in the 2nd.

well... did you?
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
One thing Hyde excelled at was serving as a lead blocker for some of Braxton Miller's big runs. Not saying we wanna expose Kap like that on the regular but we do run him.

He can block in the passing and running game, and catch the ball out of the backfield. So we can use him in many different ways.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Nalo9er:

He can block in the passing and running game, and catch the ball out of the backfield. So we can use him in many different ways.

Yup. Unlike a lot of people, I felt we would and should address running back. Got enamored with taking Seastrunk cuz of his home run ability but pretty much knew a big power back was more likely. Wanted Hill if we went that route, but not a Damn thing wrong with Hyde. Like Hill, he can do it all. Great pick imo
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
At first I didn't like the pick, but I understand it now.

....bye bye LaMichael James.
Share 49ersWebzone