There are 238 users in the forums

Does Jimmy Ward remind the 49ers of Earl Thomas

Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by HellaBombs:
he was Niners highest-rated DB behind gilbert & fuller so that says a lot IMO

link?

???? Prove it!!

I think the point is the proof is in the pudding.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Where did you get that information?

Have the 49ers published their draft board?

give us a link, please.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

link?

???? Prove it!!

I think the point is the proof is in the pudding.

And where pray tell is the pudding?
Originally posted by kronik:
Care to share the similarities to AJ Jenkins?

30th pick. Came from a lesser known program. Not expected to be a 1st round pick. Needed to bulk up a little to play in the NFL. Played college ball in Illinois
Originally posted by teylo31:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
No, that statement is not contradicting. It's talking about Ward's versatility in the secondary overall...that he can play slot corner and backup at S due to his coverage skills (covering the slot is one of the areas where he'll initially compete early in his career, per Harbaugh & Baalke) and also his ability to mix it up as a tackler and stuff the run playing close to the line of scrimmage at times. Interchangeable Safeties in the Niners' scheme...and, with the ability to also cover the slot. A good pick with all-around abilities in the secondary. Could put on some weight and I'm sure the team will work w/ him on that while also making sure he doesn't sacrifice his good speed.

I hope he works out. Im not being a smart@$$ but he can only play one position. He cant honestly kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Either slot or safety right now. Im a little superstitious as all sports fans are. I just see too many similarities to the Jenkins pick when Baalke bucked the system and took someone he shouldn't have with the same pick (30) and he needed to bulk up too like you said in your own words. I just feel like 1st round picks shpuld be plug and and play. Its just the stigma thats follows that number

Baalke also bucked the system when he took a young Aldon Smith at number 7 instead of a QB and then selected Colin Kaepernick in the second round. Also, Culliver was a shock pick in the third round as he was taken way too early according to draft experts.

Your point?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
How could you people not like/love the pick, some of you need to pick up a draft magazine before discussing the draft or judging the pick!!!

30th pick. Came from a lesser known program. Not expected to be a 1st round pick. Needed to bulk up a little to play in the NFL. Played college ball in Illinois

Actually, a LOT of mock drafts had him going in the first round, just not to the 49ers.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's going to play CB. He'll be the 49ers slot corner and will be groomed to take over at safety, so with one pick the 49ers just filled two needs.

With a good pass rush, an instinctive DB that has some coverage ability may be worth more or at least equivalent to a top flight corner. I'm betting we are still going to pick another CB in day 2 as well as a raw but speedy WR. We're not done yet at that position. We lost too many good players to be happy with just one pick in the draft for the defensive back position. Besides Ronnie Lott was a safety at USC and did pretty good as a cornerback in 1981.
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Baalke also bucked the system when he took a young Aldon Smith at number 7 instead of a QB and then selected Colin Kaepernick in the second round. Also, Culliver was a shock pick in the third round as he was taken way too early according to draft experts.

Your point?

You use the word young as if every draft pick is not young. Look at aldons and kaeps measurables. There is no such thing as a shock pick in the 3rd round
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
No. He's too PUNY. Hate the pick. Coulda Had a few other dudes. Very upset.

Shocker

He was mocked in the 1st round quite a bit actually. Universally projected as a late 1st- early 2nd pick. He played at Northern Illinois, not Illinois. Two different schools.
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
In NFCW that includes Tavon and Percy, I think this is a great pick.. He can cover both.

Exactly, if he can do that the pick will be worth it. A bunch of us said that we needed a guy who can cover those guys. I'm sure that Ward will fill the same position that Verrett or Roby would have. Typical Baalke pick. It leaves you bewildered at first, but the moreyou look into it the better it looks.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Ward is a small consolation prize after missing out on fuller, Gilbert, verrett, Beckham, and cooks.

Incidentally, its being reported that Ward was the 3rd defensive back on the 49ers draft board behind Gilbert and Fuller.

Reported by who? Reports also tend to be as much fiction as fact.

Do you have a link?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
How could you people not like/love the pick, some of you need to pick up a draft magazine before discussing the draft or judging the pick!!!

We are all fans. Are only job is to judge everything this team does good and bad and discuss. Im only discussimg based on my opinion as is everbody esle because I dont think anybody here works at 4949 centennial. You say pick up a magazine like they have never missed a pick before
Originally posted by SofaKing:
He was mocked in the 1st round quite a bit actually. Universally projected as a late 1st- early 2nd pick. He played at Northern Illinois, not Illinois. Two different schools.

I was talking about the state. Should have clarified. I know nit picking but a similarity none the less
Share 49ersWebzone