There are 181 users in the forums

Who is on your "DO NOT DRAFT" list?

Originally posted by Phil:
Cooks. He's too small and would have to get wide spankin open against bigger NFL defensive backs. He'd get killed going down the middle and doesn't have a wide catch radius. Kaepernick needs a deep threat, yes, but one with a wide catch radius and some height/jumping ability.

There is so much fail in this thread omg

Originally posted by Quest4six:
Cooks. He's too small and would have to get wide spankin open against bigger NFL defensive backs. He'd get killed going down the middle and doesn't have a wide catch radius. Kaepernick needs a deep threat, yes, but one with a wide catch radius and some height/jumping ability.

Half the thread was hijacked talking about Penn State and Allan Robinson. Not exactly what I was hoping for.
  • Phil
  • Veteran

Kap doesn't really throw people open and hasn't shown patience for WR's to get separation down field. More often than not he'll gun the ball into tight squeezes or WR's have to battle it out. A taller deep threat with a wider catch radius and size to battle with defenders would be better suited to Kaps skill set at the moment and Cooks is too small to really be an effective blocker in the run game. A lot of his production in college also came from screen passes and the Niners refuse to use screens for some reason.

People will point to TY Hilton tearing up Seattle's backfield but he has Luck as his QB. Wes Welker (another short/small guy) had Brady and Manning throwing to him. Lance Moore in NO has Brees. Not to knock on Kap but his pocket game/patience/ability to throw receivers open isnt at the same level as a Luck/Manning/Brady/Brees and Kap hasnt necessarily been patient in the pocket giving guys time to get separation down field. This is why I think Kap needs a bigger/taller deep threat. I dont think small receivers as a deep threat are no good in the NFL...and perhaps Cooks would stretch the field and open up other guys.
Our biggest issue has been Kaps play inside the redzone. He needs a taller target with a wide catch radius who can jump were defenders cant reach the ball. If we had a fast talented 5-9 receiver the last 2 years in the redzone would it have made a difference? I'd have rather had a talented taller/bigger redzone target.
Since much of this thread was dedicated to Allen Robinson, count me in his favor. I like the kid. Hung in there with really unstable QB play over his college career and posted excellent numbers. Good measurables.

And, just for fun, one of the best basketball players entering this draft as well.

If the Niners draft Benjamin, I am looking for the closest bridge. Me, no likey.
Justin Gilbert, way too little value for where we would have to move up to draft him.
Kap doesn't really throw people open and hasn't shown patience for WR's to get separation down field. More often than not he'll gun the ball into tight squeezes or WR's have to battle it out. A taller deep threat with a wider catch radius and size to battle with defenders would be better suited to Kaps skill set at the moment and Cooks is too small to really be an effective blocker in the run game. A lot of his production in college also came from screen passes and the Niners refuse to use screens for some reason.

People will point to TY Hilton tearing up Seattle's backfield but he has Luck as his QB. Wes Welker (another short/small guy) had Brady and Manning throwing to him. Lance Moore in NO has Brees. Not to knock on Kap but his pocket game/patience/ability to throw receivers open isnt at the same level as a Luck/Manning/Brady/Brees and Kap hasnt necessarily been patient in the pocket giving guys time to get separation down field. This is why I think Kap needs a bigger/taller deep threat. I dont think small receivers as a deep threat are no good in the NFL...and perhaps Cooks would stretch the field and open up other guys.
Our biggest issue has been Kaps play inside the redzone. He needs a taller target with a wide catch radius who can jump were defenders cant reach the ball. If we had a fast talented 5-9 receiver the last 2 years in the redzone would it have made a difference? I'd have rather had a talented taller/bigger redzone target.

The reason Kap does that is because of the skills our 2 WRs have (Crabs and Boldin). If we rely on Boldin, or even Crabs, to get open down field Kap is going to get sacked or be under pressure a lot. Both are physical, and both have great hands. Kap throws into situations where Boldin and Crabs need to battle it out because thats what they both do best, not because Kap doesn't prefer to throw the deep ball.

The thing you are missing is that he does have that patience to let a route develop. Most of Vernon's TD grabs this year were over 20 yards and Kap has demonstrated time and time again that he can make reads and find Vernon open. I couldn't stand the talk of people saying Kap is a one read QB (while I do agree he needs to work on his check-downs, he isn't as bad as people like that idiot Florino claim he is).

Robinson would be a great Red Zone threat coupled with VD. Could you imagine those two getting open down field with Crabs and Boldin as his check downs?
VD and Robinson are almost the same height...

Luck/Manning/Brady/Brees are all on teams who prefer the pass before the run. Not to mention the types of WR on those teams have somewhat similar skill set to what Robinson has.
We already have that talented/taller Red Zone threat, his name is Jon Baldwin.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Half the thread was hijacked talking about Penn State and Allan Robinson. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

Lol, my fault man
  • Phil
  • Veteran

We already have that talented/taller Red Zone threat, his name is Jon Baldwin.

Yuck.

Phil...........................

Ya failed
I'm not buying the hype on Cody Latimer, in the 1st round anyways. 2nd or 3rd round i'd be OK with.

Share 49ersWebzone