LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana... all hype? or overlooked awesomeness?

I'm hesitant on Latimer. I keep thinking of Devin Thomas. I think Latimer will be good, but I think it would be a huge risk to draft him with our first round pick.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I'm hesitant on Latimer. I keep thinking of Devin Thomas. I think Latimer will be good, but I think it would be a huge risk to draft him with our first round pick.

I think the draw of Latimer is that he's one of the potentially good ones who actually will still be available in the second round.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Whatever it is, he's zooming up many draft boards and/or mocks. There must've been good reasons WR Coach Morton spent 90+ mins with him. I know Harbaugh talked about players with basketball backgrounds and how that translates to the NFL. Latimer and DeVante Adams are two guys Baalke/Harbaugh could be very interested in.

+ Bruce Ellington
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Whatever it is, he's zooming up many draft boards and/or mocks. There must've been good reasons WR Coach Morton spent 90+ mins with him. I know Harbaugh talked about players with basketball backgrounds and how that translates to the NFL. Latimer and DeVante Adams are two guys Baalke/Harbaugh could be very interested in.

+ Bruce Ellington

Get em all! probably could and get some talented corners too with all our picks along with the FO skill in late round DBs.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

wow, you're not the only one that thought Devin Thomas.

i like Latimer's potential, but watching some of his play, i'm not overly impressed. i'm not standing up screaming "1st round pick!!" when i see him. in my rankings, i have him as a 3rd below Moncrief and above Robinson.

Someone sell me on this guy!
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

i like Latimer's potential, but watching some of his play, i'm not overly impressed. i'm not standing up screaming "1st round pick!!" when i see him. in my rankings, i have him as a 3rd below Moncrief and above Robinson.

So, what are your rankings in the early rds for WRs? I assume you have the top 4 like most. Where is Benjamin, Adams, and Lee? Are they ahead of Latimore? and what puts them ahead? hands? nope.. speed? nope... routes? maybe... size? not really... vertical ability? nope... YAC ability? not especially. I like Moncrief also, but his hands and run blocking is inferior... so is he ahead just because he is from the SEC?

What is it about the others (aside from the top 3 or 4) that make you stand up and scream "first rd pick!"?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

So, what are your rankings in the early rds for WRs? I assume you have the top 4 like most. Where is Benjamin, Adams, and Lee? Are they ahead of Latimore? and what puts them ahead? hands? nope.. speed? nope... routes? maybe... size? not really... vertical ability? nope... YAC ability? not especially. I like Moncrief also, but his hands and run blocking is inferior... so is he ahead just because he is from the SEC?

What is it about the others (aside from the top 3 or 4) that make you stand up and scream "first rd pick!"?

i only said "1st round pick!" because of the recent rumors floating around that we would take Latimer at #30 if we didn't move up in the draft.

as far as rankings, mine might differ completely from those seen on tv or the internet:

Watkins
Evans
Cooks
Adams
Lee
Beckham
Matthews
Landry
Latimer
Benjamin
Moncrief
Robinson
Ellington
Beckham at #6 makes me weep openly. Can't see why Lee gets the nod over Beckham, Latimer, or Moncrief... who all have speed... better size.. and better hands.
  • buck
  • Veteran

So, even though I was liking what I saw in a game or two of watching... I was stubborn and wouldn't move Latimer above the 3rd round.

Now, with some of the draft talk (Kiper/McShay, etc) of Latimer being a late 1st and an overlooked stud... I watched more.

I read from a draftnik that if you have Moncrief as a late 1st to mid 2nd prospect.. you simply have no reason to keep Latimer out of that range..... and I felt that was logical. After all... both opened eyes with big drill numbers... but it seems clear that Latimer has the better hands of the two.

So what say you? Anyone look closely into him? Anyone not budging on him being a top 50 pick?

( good article)
http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2014/4/18/5627128/nfl-draft-2014-cody-latimer-scouting-report-indiana

U ON POINT BRO.!!!! AND IM WIT YA' !!!!!!

Beckham at #6 makes me weep openly. Can't see why Lee gets the nod over Beckham, Latimer, or Moncrief... who all have speed... better size.. and better hands.

dunno about better hands, especially over Moncrief. I feel like Lee has great hands and just battled injury last season. remember, before last season, he was considered a top 5 pick and possibly a better receiver prospect than Watkins. he's also a better route runner, imo, than Beckham, Latimer, and Moncrief.
Yea I think Latimer is being overrated but so is Moncrief to extent. Neither are 1st rounders and to me they are both late 2nd round guys. But we shall see
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea I think Latimer is being overrated but so is Moncrief to extent. Neither are 1st rounders and to me they are both late 2nd round guys. But we shall see

completely agree with you. there was very little Latimer talk until the news came out that we went to go visit him during his pro day. it's as if every player we visit is a potential 1st rd target. if we took Latimer late in the 2nd or in the 3rd, i'd be happy. same goes with Moncrief.
Originally posted by buck:

Interesting to me is that, in a pass happy offense, he can barely crack 1k in a season, versus some very mediocre/bad pass defenses he played against (Indiana State, Navy, Missouri, Purdue, Ohio State, etc.).
[ Edited by Travisty13 on May 2, 2014 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by MichaelHuffTexas:
My standards must have gotten lower ever since trying to convince myself AJ Jenkins s**tty college tape was good but this guy looks good

LOL I feel the same way.
Share 49ersWebzone