There are 213 users in the forums

The "how is there no Louis Nix AKA Irish Chocolate thread?" Thread

I looked pretty thoroughly (I think), and I couldn't find a Louis Nix thread. Did I just miss it like 6 times or has he gotten absolutely no discussion?

Todd McShay (whom I respect a lot compared to a lot of other draft analysts) has him going 39th overall. I think it would be absolutely crazy if that happened. Are people forgetting how good this guy is?

The dude is a Vince Wilfork clone. See for yourself:

Almost every play I've seen him he was either getting double-teamed or the play went away from him. He's about as safe a pick as you're ever going to find in the NFL, and I'd take him over any DB or WR in this entire draft class. I don't care that DL isn't as big of a need as WR & CB; a guy like that is going to be a pain in the ass of offensive coordinators for a decade, and there will be nothing an offense can do. You can double a WR or throw away from a DB; it's impossible to neutralize a great DL.

If Louis Nix is there and the Niners pass on him I might burst a blood vessel (like I did back in 2004 when I almost broke my TV as it was announced they traded the pick instead of taking Vince Wilfork).
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM ]
I'm gonna be really embarrassed if the next post in this thread is a link to an already existing Louis Nix thread.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i started my thread about nix. nobody liked him.
You respect Todd McShay? Wow. Never seen or heard that uttered by anyone.
Originally posted by xcfan:

Don't name it surprise picks than. If you wanted a Nix thread, name it that. People will just give their input of who they think would be the surprise pick of the name suggests so.

Crap.

I swear that thread had an operational cloaking device. Super fail.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Don't name it surprise picks than. If you wanted a Nix thread, name it that. People will just give their input of who they think would be the surprise pick of the name suggests so.

it wasn't a nix thread per say, it's a surprise thread i started with nix being the surprise.

Well it's hard being a draft analyst because 95% of them say the exact same things & just copy other people (maybe he does that too). And it's a tough thing to analyze; that's why GMs make millions of dollars doing what a lot of people would do for free. But I think McShay surpassed Kiper & Mayock over the last couple of years. It seems like whenever he's disagreed with Kiper lately he's been right. And Mayock's just said some things that make me almost ignore him.

There aren't a lot of people in the sports media who have the first clue about the draft IMO.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM ]
it wasn't a nix thread per say, it's a surprise thread i started with nix being the surprise.

Oh good! I get some dignity back.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Well it's hard being a draft analyst because 95% of them say the exact same things & just copy other people (maybe he does that too). And it's a tough thing to analyze; taht's why GMs make millions of dollars doing what a lot of people would do for free. But I think McShay surpassed Kiper & Mayock over the last couple of years. It seems like whenever he's disagreed with Kiper lately he's been right. And Mayock's just said some things that make me almost ignore him.

There aren't a lot of people in the sports media who have the first clue about the draft IMO.
Would love to hear some examples

Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Well it's hard being a draft analyst because 95% of them say the exact same things & just copy other people (maybe he does that too). And it's a tough thing to analyze; taht's why GMs make millions of dollars doing what a lot of people would do for free. But I think McShay surpassed Kiper & Mayock over the last couple of years. It seems like whenever he's disagreed with Kiper lately he's been right. And Mayock's just said some things that make me almost ignore him.

Agree. McShay brings nothing to the table. Kiper and Mayock at least give us sleepers to keep an eye on. McShay just talks about what's hot right now.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Apr 14, 2014 at 3:23 AM ]
Originally posted by kronik:

Mayock Saying Mack is better than Clowney. That's looney bin stuff IMO.

It's yet to be determined, but I thought this quote was insane when he said it last year: �€Å"I kind of like Dion Jordan, who I think is two years away from being an Aldon Smith-type player,�€.

He also had DJ Hayden as the best CB in last year's draft, and Hayden was one of my least-favorite prospects in the entire draft.

I can't remember all the examples off hand, but I've just found myself disagreeing with Mayock a ton & agreeing with McShay more (at least recently).

That said, I think Mayock is a great color guy for games. That may not be a popular opinion either, but I enjoy his stuff. Probably because he brings up the dratf a lot.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM ]
Oh I remembered one. Mayock thought Pat White was a legit' QB prospect & not just a trick-play kind of player. That was one of the first times I started to think he was losing it.

Even the best are wrong sometimes. Heck, Ozzie Newsome drafted Kyle Boller. But endorsing a player like Pat White as a QB is just silly IMO.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
evaluating the raw talent, playmaking, and effort level (competitiveness) of players is not that hard. there's no esoteric club you have to be in named the general manager illuminati. you just need some smarts and experience working with athletes, and understand biomechanics and sport-specific technique. it's not esoteric; it's known stuff. the hard part is understanding the quality of the player's decision making. that's where gm's and personnel guys have the upper hand on the common people; they can talk to everyone close to the player and get the lowdown on how the player thinks and processes in real time out there. they know the quality of coaching a guy is getting. they don't have to guess about why a player makes mistakes during a game; they know the guy's mental makeup, and can zero in on the cause. if we were privy to this, we could be draft pros also. baalke and his comrades are not geniuses. they're focused on their jobs and a little lucky, also.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
evaluating the raw talent, playmaking, and effort level (competitiveness) of players is not that hard. there's no esoteric club you have to be in named the general manager illuminati. you just need some smarts and experience working with athletes, and understand biomechanics and sport-specific technique. it's not esoteric; it's known stuff. the hard part is understanding the quality of the player's decision making. that's where gm's and personnel guys have the upper hand on the common people; they can talk to everyone close to the player and get the lowdown on how the player thinks and processes in real time out there. they know the quality of coaching a guy is getting. they don't have to guess about why a player makes mistakes during a game; they know the guy's mental makeup, and can zero in on the cause. if we were privy to this, we could be draft pros also. baalke and his comrades are not geniuses. they're focused on their jobs and a little lucky, also.

Share 49ersWebzone