LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 439 users in the forums

If We Traded Up...

If We Traded Up...

Our main needs were WR, CB, and S a week ago. We got our replacement safety in Bethea and resigned Boldin as our starting WR. We lost two of a potential three starting cornerbacks. This is our MAIN need and given we haven't picked up any of the free agent CBs, we will be picking up a CB with our first pick. This is no different than last year when our main area of need was replacing Goldson, so a safety was always going to be the first pick and once Vaccaro was picked, we moved up quickly to get our man. This year will be no different and expect us to move up to get one of Gilbert, Dennard, or Verrett. It looks like the Lions at #10 will be picking up a CB, so if we want Gilbert (he is the most ready NFL cornerback and probably haven't seen a CB prospect like him since Peterson), then prepare to move up in the top 10 which is going to be nuts. Come on Baalke, get the CB we need and we will be set for our defense (though I would of loved Pryor as our SS). Realistically, once Gilbert goes to the Lions, Baalke will be doing what we he can to move up to get Dennard, or if taken, Verrett.

In the following rounds, we should target a speedy WR (which is very doable since their our 10-11 top talent receivers in this draft) and a center. What is strange is many mock sites have us going for a DT/DE in the first round to replace Justin Smith in the future, but I believe we got that man in Tank from last season.
[ Edited by mmezzetta on Mar 17, 2014 at 6:02 AM ]
All this talk of trading up… who ahead of us do you think would be willing to let us move up to grab any of these guys?
Ravens at 17 is the only trade up option only have 4 picks in the draft I'm sure they want more
Packers at 21 if there is a receiver we like (Chiefs at 23 may want a slot receiver after failing to get Emmanuel Sanders). If we like Cooks, Lee, or Beckham, I wouldn't be surprised if we went up to 21 to jumpfrog them. Packers may be willing to do it if they like a TE not named Ebron since 21 would be too early to take one of the other TE's. Taking the Ravens pick to choose before the Jets would be nice, but the Ravens want a receiver too and might be targeting someone like Lee at 17. I think 17 is too early to trade up for a corner since Gilbert will be long gone (I think Gilbert is the only corner taken in the top 20 with a run on corners in the 20's and 30's, but a lot of people think Dennard will go earlier.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM ]
More I think about Baalke will not want to ever hear: "Two WR bust in 3 years, both first round picks , ain't he great".

I cannot believe he takes a wideout in round one. Not buying it.
Gilbert. All day. We need to get him if he falls past 14.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Packers at 21 if there is a receiver we like (Chiefs at 23 may want a slot receiver after failing to get Emmanuel Sanders). If we like Cooks, Lee, or Beckham, I wouldn't be surprised if we went up to 21 to jumpfrog them. Packers may be willing to do it if they like a TE not named Ebron since 21 would be too early to take one of the other TE's. Taking the Ravens pick to choose before the Jets would be nice, but the Ravens want a receiver too and might be targeting someone like Lee at 17. I think 17 is too early to trade up for a corner since Gilbert will be long gone (I think Gilbert is the only corner taken in the top 20 with a run on corners in the 20's and 30's, but a lot of people think Dennard will go earlier.

Gilbert will be long gone? How exactly do you know this? Seems pretty.....
Originally posted by nj9er:
I don't think we trade up for a CB. Can you remember any draft that a CB came in and actually made a difference. Cowboy did if for Claiborne didn't work out well. Peterson is the only recent 1st round CB I can remember making a difference form day one. Not to mention the last time the Jets or Broncos won the Super Bowl with Revis and Bailey. Sherman is bolstering CB value because of his mouth. Safety is the most important position on secondary it's Earl Thomas and Chancellor that makes Seattles secondary such a force.

Don't believe me here's some examples the hit Chancellor had on the first dive in he Super Bowl set the tone for game. I don't want to catch a ball going over the middle cause it's gonna hurt bad or Manning saying how many times can I do that before the ball pops out and into hands of an LB or CB. Sherman helps because teams won't go to him often but when you throw to the other side Earl Thomas is gonna make a play. Sherman cuts the field in half but it's the safeties that do the dirty work.

Also let's look at other teams. Pittsburgh is a completely different team when Polumalu is not on the field, Eric Berry is the strength of KC backfield, Siant defense was better in first half of the season with Vaccaro, Baltimore had Ed Reed and a great secondary but think of how much success those corners had on other teams. Last example you can all relate to is Ronnie Lot. How many superbowls did we win after he left.

Now you'll say what about Deion. Deion was a special player who made guys look open who weren't and his tackling ability was average. So QBs thought the had him beat and but his ability to quickly close the gap gave opposing QBs have a false sense of security to make an attempt on him cause if they could complete the pass it was going to be a high gain.

In my opinion we trade up to get Evens although it will be hard cause almost every team has a need for WR so you don't really know how high you need to move up to get him. Keep in mind a lot of the same teams that could use a WR also need a QB. The 2 second round picks help but it's gonna be very competitive and the timing has to be perfect. Evens has a 4.5 forty which doesn't make him the fastest guy around but it does make him 3 inches taller than Sherman and most important speed is negated in the redzone and size is usually the winning factor, and that's where we struggle most. Also keep in mind if we hit on him and looks like he can become a true #1 we get him cheap for 4 years and I can pretty much assure you Crabs want a big FA payday and will leave after 2015 if not franchised. Don't believe me see his rookie holdout. If Crabs does walk we will still have Evens and Boldin as one and 2 till 2016 worst case scenario.

Great point on CBs and Evans isn't the fastest guy but I consider that low 4.5 a 4.4
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Ravens at 17 is the only trade up option only have 4 picks in the draft I'm sure they want more

Damn really?? GREAT to know!
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

Damn really?? GREAT to know!

Im sure the Niners are aware. The Harbaugh Connection has worked out great for us so far!

This is the deepest draft in so long... Teams will be will be looking to trade down... I believe we can move up any where in this draft. Perfect for the niners.
Someone call jerry jones, I'd like to rip him off again this season too.
Originally posted by nj9er:
I don't think we trade up for a CB. Can you remember any draft that a CB came in and actually made a difference. Cowboy did if for Claiborne didn't work out well. Peterson is the only recent 1st round CB I can remember making a difference form day one. Not to mention the last time the Jets or Broncos won the Super Bowl with Revis and Bailey. Sherman is bolstering CB value because of his mouth. Safety is the most important position on secondary it's Earl Thomas and Chancellor that makes Seattles secondary such a force.
For the stats i'm using this website
http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defenderstats.php?year=2013&pos=CB&season=all

In 2013, rookie CBs that started and had success that year were
1. Desmond Trufant- Falcons
2. Dee Millner- Jets (slow start but came back to win DPOW honors and DROM as well)
3. David Amerson- WAS (had a solid season, not stats wise)4. Tyrann Mathieu (in AZ defense he plays CB also-was originally drafted as a CB)
5. Logan Ryan (ranked 16/83) 5 ints

In 2012,
1. Janoris Jenkins SL (4 int returned for TD's rookie record)
2. Casey Hayward GB

Lots on injuries to high picked CBs in 2012

In 2011,
1. Patrick Peterson AZ
2. Chris Culliver (Guess who)
3. Richard Sherman
4. Brandon Browner (technically was an NFL rookie)

In 2010
1. Joe Haden CLE
2. Patrick Robinson NO
3. Devin McCourty NE
4. Alterraun Verner TEN

The talent is there this year, we just have to go find it...

Next year I'm calling

1. J. Gilbert
2. K. Fuller
3. J. Watkins
4. J. Verrett
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by daragon:
All this talk of trading up… who ahead of us do you think would be willing to let us move up to grab any of these guys?

I think every year you have coaching and front office turnover. Usually it's where teams ownership sucks, so there is ample opportunity every year to fleece newbie coaches/front office personnel. Remember terry donnahue and John York and Erickson? the bottom 10 teams have that kind of a front office and coaching personnel ripe to be fleeced and robbed by the Haarbalke Marauders. I can see that happening in this deep draft because there are going to be a lot of teams viewing trade downs and trade ups a lot differently from each other, and that difference can open up trade down/up opportunities for good organizations.
What CB or WR rookies would make an immediate impact? Gilbert, possibly, but even with his skills, like any rookie he'll have a ton to overcome. Baalke doesn't draft for starters any more...because he doesn't have to. He'll be drafting for depth and potential future starters. What rookie WR would have an impact? Hard to say, but I'd like Adams', Matthews' chances because of their extensive college experience and production. That said, how much PT do you think they'll get behind Boldin, Crabtree & Patton? Most likely not much, unless there are some injuries.
Share 49ersWebzone