LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

OTC's Pre-Combine Mock 2/18/14

Originally posted by kronik:
Nice job, love the Hageman, Moncrief, Desir, Larson, Huff, Archer picks. But I would replace Whitner with a draftee. That's my only knock our your off-season.

We will never win a championship having him as a weak link on defense. Playoff teams have exploited him in the past 3 playoff seasons. Think back to that 4th quarter against the Saints 3 seasons ago. Luckily Alex Smith & VD saved the team. Think about our playoff run 2 seasons ago where we lost in the superbowl. Whitner again was horrible but luckily, Kaep put the team on his shoulders and carried the team to the superbowl.

This past year, he and the defense played a little better but still gave up big plays when it counted most. It's time to upgrade the weakness, not prolong it. He's only going to get older and slower. I believe other teams around the NFL will be overjoyed if we resign Whitner. They will always have that one target to attack.

Not bringing back Whitner would completely change things obviously. Right now, for whatever reason, it seems like the 49ers might try to bring him back to keep the veteran leader (who is only 28 still) on defense. He helped Reid a LOT and I just have to wonder how bad the rest of the defense will suffer if we bring in new players -- whether vets or rookies -- with the loss of Whitner's leadership and intelligence. Those are things that people don't consider sometimes but they make a tremendous difference.
Im not 100% convinced that shaw is nfl material, but we'll see...

love the hageman pick though, our d line is full of question marks and it is an underrated need this offseason.
My favorite picks are Moncrief and Huff, both of whom are definite NFL starters.

I don't hate the Hageman pick, and I get the logic of drafting for talent and not necessarily need, I'm just not sure they'll go DT in the first. Also, it's true that Tank, TJE and Dial are still developing, but that's expected of young players. However, I think Hageman is extremely raw and could take a few years to develop in his own right. He plays primarily on instinct and talent, because his basic fundamentals are raw at best. He plays way to high, get easily pushed around by smaller guys and doesn't seem to anchor against double teams as well you would think. Part of it of course is that he's relatively new to the defensive line and playing with better leverage is something that taller guys struggle with in general.

These things are definitely fixable though, especially when you have a coach like Tomsula. I just think about the wisdom of drafting another raw talent with the 30th overall pick when you already have guys like Tank (who I watched more of today, and was reminded of how much of a beast he was/is) and TJE (who flashed some major potential this past year) waiting in the wings. Throw in a guy like Dial (6'6", 305) and even Dorsey who could end up playing a little DE/DT on occasion now that Williams will be back and I just think there's plenty of talent already there.

What I like about a guy like Dominique Easley is that you can draft and stash him for a year, and he would've been even more highly rated than Hageman. So if we do go DT/DE early, I think that strategy might work best. It buys you one more year of seeing what TJE, Tank and Dial can do.

Not saying Hageman would be a bad pick at all; just not sure it's the wisest use of our 1st round pick.
OTC...interesting mock. A few comments:

- We think alike WRT taking a stud DL in 1st rd...basically amounts to BPA, not a bad strategy at all with our roster. That said, I'd go for Tuitt instead of Hageman for a couple of reasons, consistency and quickness. Hageman's no doubt a physical specimen just like Tuitt is...the difference is Stephon's the best 5-technique in this draft, played at ND and just seems like a can't miss guy. Pair him up w/Carradine and we should be set at the DE positions for years to come.

- Moncrief. Agree, he's been kind of under-the-radar, but there's no doubting his size, speed and skills. Love this pick.

- Mewhort. Frankly, I've never heard of him. Beyond that, though, I think we already have our swing OT--Luke Marquardt. True, he hasn't proven anything yet, but at 6-8, 315 (a lean 315, too) and absurd athleticism, I think he emerges this year. Doesn't mean Baalke wouldn't/shouldn't draft an OT, just don't think it would be in 2nd rd.

- Marcus Smith. Saw him in Louiville's conf championship game...definitely impressive. Think he'd be a fine pick.

- Desir. I caught some of the Senior Bowl, but don't remember him. Like his size and being a small school guy, will work very hard to get noticed. I'll yield to your research on him. I'd also like to see Baalke grab McGill or Jean-Baptise to give us that big body CB.

- Larson's a good pick. Utah State has a very good football program. If he beats out Looney & Co. then JL could slide into the LG spot when Iupati becomes too expensive. I've seen too many mocks that having us take a C in the 2nd rd, which doesn't make sense to me.

- Huff. Don't know a lot about him, but I'll say this...Wyoming's producing a number of excellent football players to the NFL. Speed's always a good thing, especially if you can really cover.

- Fortt. ILB depth is a good thing and contributions on ST's seemingly always needed.

- Hoskins. With a name like Gator, this dude must be a baller. Nuff said.

- Shaw. I like this kid...if he could play for Spurrier, he's a winner in my book.

- We think alike WRT taking a stud DL in 1st rd...basically amounts to BPA, not a bad strategy at all with our roster. That said, I'd go for Tuitt instead of Hageman for a couple of reasons, consistency and quickness. Hageman's no doubt a physical specimen just like Tuitt is...the difference is Stephon's the best 5-technique in this draft, played at ND and just seems like a can't miss guy. Pair him up w/Carradine and we should be set at the DE positions for years to come.

- Moncrief. Agree, he's been kind of under-the-radar, but there's no doubting his size, speed and skills. Love this pick.

- Mewhort. Frankly, I've never heard of him. Beyond that, though, I think we already have our swing OT--Luke Marquardt. True, he hasn't proven anything yet, but at 6-8, 315 (a lean 315, too) and absurd athleticism, I think he emerges this year. Doesn't mean Baalke wouldn't/shouldn't draft an OT, just don't think it would be in 2nd rd.

- Marcus Smith. Saw him in Louiville's conf championship game...definitely impressive. Think he'd be a fine pick.

- Desir. I caught some of the Senior Bowl, but don't remember him. Like his size and being a small school guy, will work very hard to get noticed. I'll yield to your research on him. I'd also like to see Baalke grab McGill or Jean-Baptise to give us that big body CB.

- Larson's a good pick. Utah State has a very good football program. If he beats out Looney & Co. then JL could slide into the LG spot when Iupati becomes too expensive. I've seen too many mocks that having us take a C in the 2nd rd, which doesn't make sense to me.

- Huff. Don't know a lot about him, but I'll say this...Wyoming's producing a number of excellent football players to the NFL. Speed's always a good thing, especially if you can really cover.

- Fortt. ILB depth is a good thing and contributions on ST's seemingly always needed.

- Hoskins. With a name like Gator, this dude must be a baller. Nuff said.

- Shaw. I like this kid...if he could play for Spurrier, he's a winner in my book.
Now THIS is a Baalke-like draft to me...and will initially piss a lot of people off. I'm not sure what your mindset was (what you want vs. what you think our FO will do) but I like the positions you pick (and trust your selection of the players there). Nice work IMHO.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Assumed gains/retentions:
K Dawson
WR Boldin
CB Eric Wright
ILB Wilhoite
SS Whitner

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/177275-otcs-pre-combine-mock-18-14/#MBfxouVAJcCi8eWo.99

I would not make the same assumptions, and those assumptions drastically alter the draft.

But, we will find out.
I like it overall, but we really need a top notch defensive back prospect. I mean the sickest mofo out there and we need a veteran back up QB, not some punk kid out of college
OTC I think you've nailed it with the Niners taking a D-lineman with the first pick. Good call on Fortt.
I like Larsen. Good player and good value pick.

I love the athleticism of Hageman, and he will destroy the combine, but don't think he loves the game. Motor is way too inconsistant. Better athlete than player. Would need somebody to light a fire under him 24/7.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM ]

• GORO
  • Veteran
Drafting a DL with first round pick is a high risk move by 49ers. Iupati, Crabtree may be gone after 2014 so if they had to draft a future starter with the 30th pick then they should draft the top rated Guard or a really talented Wr to prepare for Crabtree departure. A Cb or SS would be bigger needs so this is an intriguing draft and one that would help 49ers keep pace with Seattle.
Originally posted by GORO:
Drafting a DL with first round pick is a high risk move by 49ers. Iupati, Crabtree may be gone after 2014 so if they had to draft a future starter with the 30th pick then they should draft the top rated Guard or a really talented Wr to prepare for Crabtree departure. A Cb or SS would be bigger needs so this is an intriguing draft and one that would help 49ers keep pace with Seattle.

voice of reason. WR C/G SS CB
Solid man!

Really like it. Everyone has reasons for their picks and I like how you spelled out yours.

IMO Montcrief will be a star in the NFL. I feel w/the right coaching he can a real difference maker. Getting him in the 2nd would be a very good move. I feel we may have to trade up to secure him.

Like the move w/Larson and would add 2-3 more to stash. Like Easley for a long time and Colvin would also be a good move.

Thanks for work.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Totally agree. I'd be happy with either. We love raw potential, and the fact that we talked to Hageman at the Senior Bowl obviously showed we were interested. Whether we maintained that interest after speaking to him? Who knows. Guess we'll see.

As for the comment on Mewhort. I know we have some developing guys at OT (Marquardt, Bykowski), but nothing to really say we should expect great things just yet. I feel convinced we will take an OT in this draft, but I'm just not sure where it will be.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
My favorite picks are Moncrief and Huff, both of whom are definite NFL starters.

I don't hate the Hageman pick, and I get the logic of drafting for talent and not necessarily need, I'm just not sure they'll go DT in the first. Also, it's true that Tank, TJE and Dial are still developing, but that's expected of young players. However, I think Hageman is extremely raw and could take a few years to develop in his own right. He plays primarily on instinct and talent, because his basic fundamentals are raw at best. He plays way to high, get easily pushed around by smaller guys and doesn't seem to anchor against double teams as well you would think. Part of it of course is that he's relatively new to the defensive line and playing with better leverage is something that taller guys struggle with in general.

These things are definitely fixable though, especially when you have a coach like Tomsula. I just think about the wisdom of drafting another raw talent with the 30th overall pick when you already have guys like Tank (who I watched more of today, and was reminded of how much of a beast he was/is) and TJE (who flashed some major potential this past year) waiting in the wings. Throw in a guy like Dial (6'6", 305) and even Dorsey who could end up playing a little DE/DT on occasion now that Williams will be back and I just think there's plenty of talent already there.

What I like about a guy like Dominique Easley is that you can draft and stash him for a year, and he would've been even more highly rated than Hageman. So if we do go DT/DE early, I think that strategy might work best. It buys you one more year of seeing what TJE, Tank and Dial can do.

Not saying Hageman would be a bad pick at all; just not sure it's the wisest use of our 1st round pick.

I think the beauty in drafting a talented DL while you already have starters is for the same reason you like Easley -- we can stash him for a year behind those guys. I expect Dial to land on the PS and how likely are we to get all season without a single DL having an injury? We could use some insurance.

I think unless we don't re-sign Whitner, it's going to be WR, CB, DL or an outside chance of OL in the first. If Whitner doesn't re-sign, the chances of taking a safety skyrocket.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM ]
Love the Moncrief pick. He's my draft crush.
Share 49ersWebzone