LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Jimmy Ward

Read about him.

What do you guys think?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=113441&draftyear=2014&genpos=SS
Ward is my favorite safety in this draft class. I'd love for him to be selected by SF or KC. A true cover safety that can easily handle sliding into man coverage in the slot. He's not a big guy, but loves to tackle, and does it better than his size would have you believe. People may , but I think his value is in the #25-45 range.

Good article on him here... http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/2/4/5374342/scouting-the-draft-jimmie-ward-s-northern-illinois
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Ward is my favorite safety in this draft class. I'd love for him to be selected by SF or KC. A true cover safety that can easily handle sliding into man coverage in the slot. He's not a big guy, but loves to tackle, and does it better than his size would have you believe. People may , but I think his value is in the #25-45 range.

Good article on him here... http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/2/4/5374342/scouting-the-draft-jimmie-ward-s-northern-illinois

Why you don't tell us how you really feel?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Well... I now feel as if I am being mocked.. so I am very sad.. and must go and have a good cry into my pillow.
maybe i'm missing something but why in the world you love for him to be drafted by KC? He is a beast though. Really good prosepct. He seems to have great coverage skills too.
Well... I now feel as if I am being mocked.. so I am very sad.. and must go and have a good cry into my pillow.

Who, by me? Never.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
His tape looks impressive. As for the 49ers though i like Joyner more !
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
His tape looks impressive. As for the 49ers though i like Joyner more !

Lamarcus Joyner CB Florida St 5-8 190

In 28 games over the past two years, Joyner has defended 12 passes--3 picks and 9 passes broken up.
He has defended 0.43 passes a game.

Jimmie Ward SS Northern Illinois 5-11 192
In 27 games over the past two years, Ward has defended 31 passes--10 picks and 21 passes broken up.
He has defended 1.15 passes per game.

I understand that ACC is a tougher conference, but Ward's production is hard to ignore or dismiss.
He did very well at the Senior Bowl.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Lamarcus Joyner CB Florida St 5-8 190

In 28 games over the past two years, Joyner has defended 12 passes--3 picks and 9 passes broken up.
He has defended 0.43 passes a game.

Jimmie Ward SS Northern Illinois 5-11 192
In 27 games over the past two years, Ward has defended 31 passes--10 picks and 21 passes broken up.
He has defended 1.15 passes per game.

I understand that ACC is a tougher conference, but Ward's production is hard to ignore or dismiss.
He did very well at the Senior Bowl.

Yep you listed all the reason why i like Ward a lot ! But watching the tapes i think Joyner would be a better fit for the niners D. He plays like he is 6-2 220. And with those long arms he checks in at 5-10 to me.
Also offenses did everything they could to avoid Joyner and he still produced those numbers !
Let's get'em both

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

ward (jimmie) werent you a little hard on the beaver
I like him
Underrated...would love him.
My initial impression is that I like Ward. I would like to see his combine/pro day and would like to watch a little more before I make a definitive judgment on him, though.
CBS has Ward listed as their top SS and gong in the 2nd round, while Walter Football mocks him at #80. I would certainly be happy if he's drafted by the niners...though I like the Walter mock taking Loston in the 2nd. Funny that CBS rates Ward and Buchanon ahead of Loston, but mocks have Loston going before them...always so confusing this time of year! LOL! Would be happy with any of them. Loston and Buchanon are a couple inches taller and heavier, but I'm not sure that matters in the grand scheme...all are listed in the average to high range for SS.
Share 49ersWebzone