LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

1 QB drafted in the first round? who?

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
as of now 2/6/14 sources are saying Blake Bortles to the Texans @ 1..

Maybe someone leapfrogs the Jags @ 3 and makes a trade with the Rams. (likely Minnesota, Oakland, or Cleveland)

If no trade is made, then maybe the Rams take a QB since Bradford really hasnt been a sucsess. OR they wait for the 2015 draft.

At any rate... Jax is in love with Teddy Bridgewater.

so that leaves Manzel most likely going to the Browns @ 4. (Which is hilarious b/c that would hurt his popularity.

Than Oakland and Minnesota fight over Carr.

carr reacts to a dirty pocket like jim everett and blaine gabbert. who wants that?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
those qbs don't measure up to the talent at other positions, thus they are a reach in the top of the draft. not a one is near being a franchise qb.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
as of now 2/6/14 sources are saying Blake Bortles to the Texans @ 1..

Maybe someone leapfrogs the Jags @ 3 and makes a trade with the Rams. (likely Minnesota, Oakland, or Cleveland)

If no trade is made, then maybe the Rams take a QB since Bradford really hasnt been a sucsess. OR they wait for the 2015 draft.

At any rate... Jax is in love with Teddy Bridgewater.

so that leaves Manzel most likely going to the Browns @ 4. (Which is hilarious b/c that would hurt his popularity.

Than Oakland and Minnesota fight over Carr.
Iirc, the Rams are willing to trade down anyway.

I would not rule it out but it is very unprobable, imho. Bradford had showed some signs of being a franchise-QB before he went down with a season-ending injury.
However, he is due to 14 mio. in base salary next season and the cap savings, if cut, would sum up to 10 mio. dollar (if stayed put, they are over 125 mio. against the cap).
Next problem: If they want to sign their rookies, they have to cut some players or restructure some contracts. Besides Bradford, Finnegan, Dahl, Langford and Wells are candidates for either solution. Furthermore, they will try to resign Saffold, imho.

Iirc, they wanted to extend Bradford anyway, thus they would restructure the contract at the same time and reduce the cap number (over 17 mio.) down to 10-12 in 2014.
Dahl could be a goner (4 Mio. in cap savings).
I'd lay 500 to 1 that Manzel, Bridgewater, Bortles and Carr go in the first.

If I'm the Rams I'd take a VERY hard look at a QB. 14 Million to Bradford is a huge amount of money and IMO, he's not worth it.
The Rams wanna be playoff-contenders next season. The QB-prospect should be VERY nfl-ready to assure that he won't be a weak link in the next season.

And like I stated, they wanted to extend him anyway. Thus, they can restructure the deal IF needed. If they think that he is their franchise-QB, 14 Mio. is not much at all.
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Each GM will have their own strategy, but I wouldn't take those guys top ten. If I was rebuilding a sh*tty team like the Raiders or Browns, I'd rebuild the defense first or O-line hoping those guys slip because many teams are already set at QB.

The problem with this strategy is that if the rest of your team is decent, but you have a weak QB, than you are a 6-10 to 8-8 team, picking at the edge of the top 10. Then the best QBs are gone by your pick, and you are forced to pick a mediocre QB, or mortgage the farm to move up to get a Sanchez or Griffin. If you have a selection of top QBs at your current pick, and you don't have a solid QB, you are better off getting the QB first, and drafting the rest of the team later.

The problem with those teams is that they are'nt even decent, they need help everywhere. Every year we watch these bad teams take the Gabberts, Leinerts, Lockers, etc, while they pass on studs, perpetuating their downward spiral. I'm not saying don't draft a QB, I'm saying don't just draft one for the sake of drafting one. We got a pretty good QB in the 2nd. Jacksonville left JJ Watt and Robert Quinn on the board because they needed a QB so bad. You can still build a competitive squad without a star QB while being patient for a chance at a franchise QB down the road. I happen to like Manziel, but I would question any team that would pass up the chance to draft a prospect like Clowney for someone with so many quesion marks. I'd prefer more of a can't miss prospect if i was rebuilding.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Feb 6, 2014 at 9:13 PM ]
I don't want Teddy Bridgewater going to Minn, oakland or possibly the rams somehow. He is an upgrade that will progress as the year progresses. I would hate to see oakland become successful.
Originally posted by fister30:
I don't want Teddy Bridgewater going to Minn, oakland or possibly the rams somehow. He is an upgrade that will progress as the year progresses. I would hate to see oakland become successful.

I wouldn't worry about that happening.
With the first pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Houston Texans select Teddy Bridgewater, quarterback, Louisville.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Feb 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone