There are 174 users in the forums

Bruce Ellington-WR-South Carolina

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
What I loved in my study of Ellington was to take a hit from a DB running full speed across the middle on a crossing pattern -- and not just take the hit, but REFLECT the hit and have the defender bounce right off as if they just flew right into a brick wall. Ellington had the best agility times at the combine with Odell Beckham, and has long arms for his height. Perfect for our speed package.

Can you imagine how terrifying a 5-wide set of Crabtree - Boldin - Vernon - Ellington - Stevie Johnson would be for defenses?

Of course this on the assumption that Roman ever gets that creative.

If I'm Harbaugh, I'm doing one of two things right now.

1) DESIGN YOUR OWN PLAYS NOW, AND FORCE ROMAN TO IMPLEMENT THEM WITH OUR NEW WEAPONS.
2) CALL ROMAN ASAP AND DEMAND HE SUBMIT NO LESS THAN 250 NEW PLAY DESIGNS TO USE WITH OUR NEW WEAPONS.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GamecockScott:
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Thank you for your great input. By the way, is your Redskins ever going to change their name? Good to hear you picked the RedNgold as your #2 team.

Great question...and thanks for putting me on the spot after a few beers, bruddah...lol. The Redskin fan in me says we'll always be the Redskins, come what may. The embarrassed South Carolinian in me(remember, our state flew the Confederate flag atop our statehouse from 1961 until just a few years ago), I am highly cognizant of displaying symbols that represent hate to a large segment of our population. So, I am torn. Maybe we should change our name to the Washington Politicians...that damn sure would strike fear in the hearts of opponents everywhere...and if it offended politicians, no big deal, most of them offend me anyway.

Not sure about you or anyone else, but just change Redskins to Natives, and you don't really need to change anything else in terms of the logo. Washington Natives - in honor of the true natives of America.
Greetings, Niner Nation....I'm a Redskin fan, but more importantly, I'm a South Carolina Gamecock fan. I last commented here on April 27th, 2013 when your organization picked Marcus Lattimore(I posted under the screen name: JurgyFan...but, for some reason, no matter how many times I re-set my password, this site won't let me log on with that screen name anymore...oh well).

I wanted to take a moment in between beers to commend your first rate football club once again for having the foresight, intelligence and bearing to choose another great athlete in the NFL draft...Bruce Ellington. I have seen many of your comments and I appreciate the fact that you have welcomed him with open arms. As a Gamecock fan, I am ecstatic that Bruce is not only going to a first tier organization, but that he's being reunited with his college teammate, Marcus Lattimore. As a Redskin fan, this worries me...#1-because it means that (once again) most roads to the playoffs and the Super Bowl, if not all of them, go thru San Francisco, and, #2-the Redskin pick just prior to the Niners picking Ellington was a Clemson DB(Bashaud Breeland) that Ellington torched time and time again during their annual Carolina/Clemson games. WOE IS ME!!!!! The Skins could always use a good receiver...especially one as good as Ellington. We missed our chance.

A bit about Bruce Ellington: His work ethic at THE Carolina was surpassed only by that of Marcus Lattimore(whom you are already familiar with). And tho you already appreciate his talents, I feel I must tell you this...his college stats do not even approach a level commensurate with his talents. Here is why: He also started on the Carolina basketball team(which diluted his focus during his first 2 years)...and, his career targets were limited to a large extent by the other excellent receiver talent on the Gamecocks' squad during his college career(Alshon Jeffery, Ace Sanders, Shaq Roland, Pharoh Cooper and others).

Once again, your 49ers have gotten the steal of the draft. I simultaneously love and hate you for that.

Good luck this season(with the possible exception of November 23rd). (I'm not a bandwagon fan, but the Niners are now my SECOND favorite team)

Thanks for the words, but I'm still pissed off about that '83 NFC Championship game. That wasn't holding! Ask #42. He'll tell you.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Thank you for your great input. By the way, is your Redskins ever going to change their name? Good to hear you picked the RedNgold as your #2 team.

Great question...and thanks for putting me on the spot after a few beers, bruddah...lol. The Redskin fan in me says we'll always be the Redskins, come what may. The embarrassed South Carolinian in me(remember, our state flew the Confederate flag atop our statehouse from 1961 until just a few years ago), I am highly cognizant of displaying symbols that represent hate to a large segment of our population. So, I am torn. Maybe we should change our name to the Washington Politicians...that damn sure would strike fear in the hearts of opponents everywhere...and if it offended politicians, no big deal, most of them offend me anyway.

Not sure about you or anyone else, but just change Redskins to Natives, and you don't really need to change anything else in terms of the logo. Washington Natives - in honor of the true natives of America.

I like that,you got something there.
Greetings, Niner Nation....I'm a Redskin fan, but more importantly, I'm a South Carolina Gamecock fan. I last commented here on April 27th, 2013 when your organization picked Marcus Lattimore(I posted under the screen name: JurgyFan...but, for some reason, no matter how many times I re-set my password, this site won't let me log on with that screen name anymore...oh well).

I wanted to take a moment in between beers to commend your first rate football club once again for having the foresight, intelligence and bearing to choose another great athlete in the NFL draft...Bruce Ellington. I have seen many of your comments and I appreciate the fact that you have welcomed him with open arms. As a Gamecock fan, I am ecstatic that Bruce is not only going to a first tier organization, but that he's being reunited with his college teammate, Marcus Lattimore. As a Redskin fan, this worries me...#1-because it means that (once again) most roads to the playoffs and the Super Bowl, if not all of them, go thru San Francisco, and, #2-the Redskin pick just prior to the Niners picking Ellington was a Clemson DB(Bashaud Breeland) that Ellington torched time and time again during their annual Carolina/Clemson games. WOE IS ME!!!!! The Skins could always use a good receiver...especially one as good as Ellington. We missed our chance.

A bit about Bruce Ellington: His work ethic at THE Carolina was surpassed only by that of Marcus Lattimore(whom you are already familiar with). And tho you already appreciate his talents, I feel I must tell you this...his college stats do not even approach a level commensurate with his talents. Here is why: He also started on the Carolina basketball team(which diluted his focus during his first 2 years)...and, his career targets were limited to a large extent by the other excellent receiver talent on the Gamecocks' squad during his college career(Alshon Jeffery, Ace Sanders, Shaq Roland, Pharoh Cooper and others).

Once again, your 49ers have gotten the steal of the draft. I simultaneously love and hate you for that.

Good luck this season(with the possible exception of November 23rd). (I'm not a bandwagon fan, but the Niners are now my SECOND favorite team)

Class post. Much respect to hog fans. They deserve better success next year. GL
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Andra:
Getting Ellington in the 4th or later would be such a steal. It would make my panties moist.

you = girl or guy?

yes (I know), some guys wear panties...

Non panty wearing guy. But if we get Ellington I will put on my wife's and run around until they are nice and moist

Post the video

Andra, we're glad that you are a man of your word. Now, do us all a solid and put it on Youtube!

Ante up, my man, or should I say panty up
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
What I loved in my study of Ellington was to take a hit from a DB running full speed across the middle on a crossing pattern -- and not just take the hit, but REFLECT the hit and have the defender bounce right off as if they just flew right into a brick wall. Ellington had the best agility times at the combine with Odell Beckham, and has long arms for his height. Perfect for our speed package.

Can you imagine how terrifying a 5-wide set of Crabtree - Boldin - Vernon - Ellington - Stevie Johnson would be for defenses?

Of course this on the assumption that Roman ever gets that creative.

If I'm Harbaugh, I'm doing one of two things right now.

1) DESIGN YOUR OWN PLAYS NOW, AND FORCE ROMAN TO IMPLEMENT THEM WITH OUR NEW WEAPONS.
2) CALL ROMAN ASAP AND DEMAND HE SUBMIT NO LESS THAN 250 NEW PLAY DESIGNS TO USE WITH OUR NEW WEAPONS.

Ellington hasn't even run anything close to a pro route tree. He's simply not NFL ready. I think we may all be a bit ahead of ourselves here.
Originally posted by Phil:
Ellington hasn't even run anything close to a pro route tree. He's simply not NFL ready. I think we may all be a bit ahead of ourselves here.

Hence why he gets to develop behind Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson and Patton. He's been splitting half his time with basketball, now its all football, all the time. He's got tremendous upside and will get pro level coaching. You really have to let the Allen Robinson thing go man.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
BE looks like a RB
Originally posted by Garcia:
BE looks like a RB

He throws it down pretty well too.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000341318/Draft-prospect-Ellington-shows-off-dunking-ability

Thanks for the insight on Ellington. What's your insight on Marcus Lattimore. Really curious about him, I would love lattimore to do well. Can he be a gamebreaking back? Does he have an extra gear?
What is good about this guy? He is so small. I see conflicting reports about his 40 time. Some say 4.45. Some say 4.37. That's a big difference if you ask me. Some claim hand held times lower than that even. So which one is it?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What is good about this guy? He is so small. I see conflicting reports about his 40 time. Some say 4.45. Some say 4.37. That's a big difference if you ask me. Some claim hand held times lower than that even. So which one is it?

Slot WR with excellent quickness (5th in the shuttle at the combine), really good hands, and an incredible vert (nearly 40").

Ellington was a basketball-football starter in college who graduated in December and is forgoing his senior year to play for pay in the NFL. He plays with the sudden athleticism expected of a basketball point guard and gets football defenders in a bad position quickly both as a receiver and a returner. Closed out his college football career in dramatic style with six catches for 140 yards and two touchdowns and a nine-yard TD pass to Connor Shaw in a 34-24 Capital One Bowl win over Wisconsin. Frankly: Short in height, but not in talent. Ellington is a natural athlete who excelled as a high school quarterback (state championship), college point guard, receiver and returner. Use him as a returner and slot receiver and he should excel while focusing on only one sport. - Frank Cooney, NFLDraftScout.com

Why does it matter? Watch his tape and he looks very similar to Brandon Cooks.

I'm actually more concerned Patton won't get playing time because now we have too many good receivers.

No one's asking you.
Share 49ersWebzone